Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
Kirewark

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS A8
Austin Area - Where to go for Service?

My 2016 SS is out of warranty now. Only about 18,000 miles on it. I do my own fluid changes. Installed the few aftermarket/modded parts I have on it, etc. Does anyone have recommendations on where to take the car for service in the Austin area? It was only a matter of time before an issue came up that I couldn't deal with myself, and I think that day is here.

On the way to work today I noticed my alignment is off. When driving straight I'm holding the wheel tilted to the left. When I let go of the wheel the car drifts. Might also just be overthinking it, but it felt like the car was kind of shifting around a bit - I was wrestling the wheel. As if the car was being buffeted by wind, but it isn't windy out. Almost gave me the sensation that the nuts on the wheels were loose and a wheel was about to fall off! It was concerning enough that I immediately turned around and went back home.

Three of my tires are a little under-inflated so I am going to fix that this weekend, and I will check the tension on the wheel nuts with a torque wrench.

But, it's looking like I at least need to get my car inspected and aligned. I know the toe/camber bolts are one use only so those will have to be replaced at the least, and that's if I don't have any tie rod damage or something worse that will need fixing. I know I'm looking at at least $400. Any suggestions on where to take the car for this?
Kirewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #2
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Depends on where you are in Austin, and your preferences. I had some work at Aikman Performance in Cedar Park. They know 6 gens and I think only do late model gm. Honestly not sure if they do alignments. If you're not too particular, I've used places like McSpadden for my DD car and they do alignments.
if you're wanting to stick to dealers, I'd avoid Capitol Chevy. I heard some say Henna is good, but I have no experience with them myself.
Good luck with it
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
cignul9

Drives: 50th 2SS MRC A8 NPP
If you wanna try a dealer, I will for sure recommend Don Hewlett in Georgetown. They're good enough that I drive there from Burnet for stuff. Their service advisors generally don't care much about mods, and I've never had them try to upsell me on dumb stuff. They did the track prep for me when I went to CotA with it, and put it back to "street" when I was done.

If you aren't looking for a dealer, I'd second Aikman, with one caveat: They're REALLY hard to get scheduled. But, I also don't know if they do alignment.

There's a place in North Austin, off Burnet rd (I think) called ProModular Performance. They work on mostly Mustangs, but they do have an alignment machine in house, and it's not too hard to look up the appropriate numbers. I don't know one way or another about them for Camaros, though. My Mustang buddy says they're great.
50th 2SS, MRC, NPP, 8A, #991
Join the Club F1FTY Registry!
Add yourself to the registry here.
Read the registry here.
cignul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
Joshy87

Drives: 2016 camaro ss sold dec 2020
Did you ever find a place to get your alignment checked?
Joshy87 is offline   Reply With Quote