Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #15
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
If you're just doing a muffler delete, then do a custom exhaust. I personally think the money was very well spent on my ATAK system.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #16
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
I’m very happy with the way my borla stype sounds , I kept the npp function and no drone.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:45 AM   #17
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
muffler options are virtually endless for these cars. i managed to get a two 14" magnaflows under mine.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #18
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I wouldn't mine the Borla Atak but 2200 is a lot for a cat back. You guys mentioned an X-Pipe does that come with the cat back or is that what replaces the secondary cats? I like the way AWE sounds that and it's basically a straight pipe.
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #19
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6000 View Post
i use borla atak with the x-pipe but if you like the sound of awe i'd say stick with your gut. i left my cats connected on the headers but everything after is gone.

Attachment 1063631
Attachment 1063632
Just saw your post. So the X-pipe is an additional piece that replaces the secondary cat?
Old 04-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #20
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyhamster View Post
I installed the AWE Track with link pipes about a week ago. The sound is much more deep and aggressive than NPP. The drone isn't too bad, and I've only noticed it in 1st>2nd and under 2500rpm for other gears.

The pops and gurgles are amazing; get them the most when downshifting from 3rd>2nd.
I don't mine losing the dual mode exhaust I don't find it particularly impressive, did you have any issues when removing the dual mode? I remember on my 2018 Scat Pack the Borla Atak I bought came with a piece that basically tricked the sensor into thinking the flaps were still there to avoid CEL lights.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #21
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
If your fine losing npp then go AWE. I wish AWE made a npp version because I would go back to them. As it stands now I have Borla ATAKs on my car because I needed the npp back because of some whiney neighbors. It's not that the Borlas sound bad I just prefer the sound of the AWE system. I've been contemplating taking the Borlas back off and putting my AWE tourings back on and saying screw it to the whiners. Also removing npp causes no issues it's when you remove the AFM valves further up that causes check engine lights.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #22
Psyhamster

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
I don't mine losing the dual mode exhaust I don't find it particularly impressive, did you have any issues when removing the dual mode? I remember on my 2018 Scat Pack the Borla Atak I bought came with a piece that basically tricked the sensor into thinking the flaps were still there to avoid CEL lights.

There was a member selling plugs for NPP connectors in the marketplace here, which can be used if you are removing the actuators completely.

I have an M6, so I didn't have to deal with the AFM. If you have an A10 you'll need the AFM valve simulators that AWE has to avoid a CEL. AWE Exhaust Page

| Mishimoto Catch Can | Roto-Fab Oiled Intake w/ Sound Tube Delete | GM Dark Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light | JWM LED Sidemarkers | 35/5 Ceramic Tint | AWE Track Exhaust w/ Resonators & Link Pipes |
Psyhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:16 AM   #23
Motor Fast

I went with AWE Touring and I think it sounds great; I also have headers. I did install my AWE Touring exhaust for about a week before putting my headers on; I didn't think AWE by itself was all that much louder than stock with the valves open, mainly a tone change especially when engine braking. When I did my headers I had KOOK's make the rear pipes 1 1/4" longer than their standard length and it allowed the system to slip right together. Here's a video of mine: 2018 SS with Headers and AWE Touring
Old 04-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #24
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Just saw your post. So the X-pipe is an additional piece that replaces the secondary cat?
with the x-pipe and exhaust, it replaced everything behind the header's cats.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #25
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fast View Post
I went with AWE Touring and I think it sounds great; I also have headers. I did install my AWE Touring exhaust for about a week before putting my headers on; I didn't think AWE by itself was all that much louder than stock with the valves open, mainly a tone change especially when engine braking. When I did my headers I had KOOK's make the rear pipes 1 1/4" longer than their standard length and it allowed the system to slip right together. Here's a video of mine: 2018 SS with Headers and AWE Touring
That sounds so good I have so many questions haha.

With headers how much louder is it than stock cause that sounds pretty loud. Also, what kind of up charge did Kooks make for modifying their production headers? Just so I understand you had them make the header 1 1/4" longer to hook up the headers to the cat so you didn't have to move the cat?

One of the things I'm trying to understand is when headers are illegal in my home state Ohio. I've been told as long as the location of the cat doesn't move and obviously there is a cat then it's legal? Do you have hi-flow cats or the stock cat still?
Old 04-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #26
Motor Fast

Quote:
That sounds so good I have so many questions haha.

With headers how much louder is it than stock cause that sounds pretty loud. Also, what kind of up charge did Kooks make for modifying their production headers? Just so I understand you had them make the header 1 1/4" longer to hook up the headers to the cat so you didn't have to move the cat?

One of the things I'm trying to understand is when headers are illegal in my home state Ohio. I've been told as long as the location of the cat doesn't move and obviously there is a cat then it's legal? Do you have hi-flow cats or the stock cat still?
Adding headers makes the car much louder. I think technically modifying the exhaust in a way that makes the car louder is illegal in every state. To keep factory cats with headers you would have to custom make a system. Some states don't have inspections and as long as you're not being obnoxious cops seems to leave you alone.

My headers are not modified. All parts are COTS, from KOOK's, from the headers to the x-pipe. The rear pipes, which will slide onto the x-pipe, were custom made by KOOK's, which are 1 1/4" longer than their standard length. They charged around $700 for them; I think it was an additional $250 for the customization over their standard rear pipes. You can take what I learned and probably order the rear pipes 1 1/4" longer from the beginning and save yourself a few hundred dollars by not buying two sets of rear pipes. When I'm home in a few weeks I can email you the invoice for the rear pipes, make it easier if you decide to go this route. The AWE Touring is also the standard system. Only the rear pipes are different. This keeps all the pipes looking clean and from getting hacked up to make things fit. No cutting or welding on extensions was done on my system.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #27
HouseStark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fast View Post
Adding headers makes the car much louder. I think technically modifying the exhaust in a way that makes the car louder is illegal in every state. To keep factory cats with headers you would have to custom make a system. Some states don't have inspections and as long as you're not being obnoxious cops seems to leave you alone.

My headers are not modified. All parts are COTS, from KOOK's, from the headers to the x-pipe. The rear pipes, which will slide onto the x-pipe, were custom made by KOOK's, which are 1 1/4" longer than their standard length. They charged around $700 for them; I think it was an additional $250 for the customization over their standard rear pipes. You can take what I learned and probably order the rear pipes 1 1/4" longer from the beginning and save yourself a few hundred dollars by not buying two sets of rear pipes. When I'm home in a few weeks I can email you the invoice for the rear pipes, make it easier if you decide to go this route. The AWE Touring is also the standard system. Only the rear pipes are different. This keeps all the pipes looking clean and from getting hacked up to make things fit. No cutting or welding on extensions was done on my system.
Thanks man I appreciate the input. Yeah I'm going to have to keep researching. Headers are probably far down the road once I get other mods on the car but it's great to hear it and get information about it. I think I'm going to get the AWE Track with Link Pipes.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #28
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
Quote:
Thanks man I appreciate the input. Yeah I'm going to have to keep researching. Headers are probably far down the road once I get other mods on the car but it's great to hear it and get information about it. I think I'm going to get the AWE Track with Link Pipes.
If you do find someone that has link pipes in stock, definitely let us know..

Good luck brother
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote