Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Question Active exhaust?

Only had my 1LE a little over a week but I was wondering how the active exhaust "should" operate.

I've noticed that no matter what mode I have the car in, the exhaust sounds exactly the same, to me anyway. Also noticed that the inner exhaust tips look brand new, absolutely pristine, while the outter ones with the flaps in them are just about black.

When the car is off, I see that the flaps in the exhaust tips are in the open position. Once I start the car, the flaps stay open and they never close no matter what mode I have the car in at idle.

Is this the way they're supposed to work? Do those flaps close at certain RPM or certain throttle position?
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
TunaMelt

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I believe that valve will be open during startup in all modes except stealth. The valve stays closed under a certain rpm in tour mode. Try revving it to 3k or so in tour mode and it should stay quiet. Or do what I do and select what you want it to do under your settings under Engine sound management. Stealth should remain closed at all times. It's possible someone at the dealer has it set under the settings to remain open as well.
TunaMelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Yeah it sounds like the dealer set the engine sound management setting to track manually. I set mine into track mode permanently immediately after getting home from the dealer and my inner exhaust tips are pristine as well.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
As others have stated, don't mess with the drive modes, but go in and change the engine sound management settings. There should be a noticeable difference between stealth and track. I generally keep it in stealth for start up and my neighborhood, then switch to track a few blocks away.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
AZ_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
As others have stated, don't mess with the drive modes, but go in and change the engine sound management settings. There should be a noticeable difference between stealth and track. I generally keep it in stealth for start up and my neighborhood, then switch to track a few blocks away.

This is exactly what I'm looking to do. Don't want to annoy the neighbors too much thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
AZ_1LE

You guys were right, someone had set the engine sound management to sport. As soon I set it to auto, I heard the flaps and the exhaust got way, way quieter (I was in tour mode).

Thanks much!
Old 02-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I have the fuse pulled on mine, so it's a little louder while cruising now (no partial flap closure) and always open. Still need to make it louder...not enough volume for me. Probably going to do something with the mid pipes soon.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Check your vehicle settings - drive mode - Exhaust Sound Management. Make sure its not set to track. If you want it to vary with modes select that option at the top.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I have the fuse pulled on mine, so it's a little louder while cruising now (no partial flap closure) and always open. Still need to make it louder...not enough volume for me. Probably going to do something with the mid pipes soon.
I love the sound of the stock exhaust with the valves open but like you said it just needs more loud! So I picked up a very lightly used Stainless Works Cat-back (w/NPP) for $1k and will be installing it ASAP! Can't wait for more loud!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #10
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I love the sound of the stock exhaust with the valves open but like you said it just needs more loud! So I picked up a very lightly used Stainless Works Cat-back (w/NPP) for $1k and will be installing it ASAP! Can't wait for more loud!!!
Yeah, not sure what I wanna do yet. Everyone who hears my car from he outside says it is "loud". I'm guessing the insulation must block some of the volume when inside the car. I'll have to have a buddy of mine do a drive by soon under load.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #11
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Yeah, not sure what I wanna do yet. Everyone who hears my car from he outside says it is "loud". I'm guessing the insulation must block some of the volume when inside the car. I'll have to have a buddy of mine do a drive by soon under load.
Yep my buddy tells me the same thing, but either way it's still nowhere near as loud as my last car (I had Flowmaster Outlaws in it) so it needs to be louder. And I really love the deep throaty sound of the SW system!
Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
I thought the same thing. Got rear ended and took the opportunity to upgrade to Borla. Initially I was nervous that I wouldn't like it as much as stock.....couldn't be more pleased now. Stock was very good (amazing for a stock exhaust) but the borla s type is definitely better IMO without being obnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Yep my buddy tells me the same thing, but either way it's still nowhere near as loud as my last car (I had Flowmaster Outlaws in it) so it needs to be louder. And I really love the deep throaty sound of the SW system!
Same, I knew I would deviate from the stock NPP eventually. My last car was a 5.0 with what would be the equivalent of an ATAK axleback (roush) and x pipe. When I first had it installed I really thought it was too loud and I was going to have to take it off. The combo I had was louder than many cars with long tubes and axleback haha. How do you like the SW system? I looked at that instead of Borla but then saw one guy said it droned a bit and I ran as fast as I could
Old 02-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #13
tarmac

Drives: 17 HBM 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Check your vehicle settings - drive mode - Exhaust Sound Management. Make sure its not set to track. If you want it to vary with modes select that option at the top.
Where do you access the Exhaust Sound Management. I checked under the wheel options and the different modes?
tarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #14
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
The 6th gen's sound deadening is really good, too good maybe. I get told the same thing, that my Borla ATAK is loud as hell, yet inside its not; One friend even thought that I had switched back to stock when he was inside riding passanger and it was so much tamer inside than outside. you can still hear it nicely but by no means is it obnoxious inside.
Someone on the forums suggested folding down the back seats to get some more sound inside, and that actually worked to my surprise. It wont be a dramatic difference, but you will notice it.