Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Rattles, squeaks, noises ?

Hey guys - I have posted these before, but now that we have our own sub forum, figured I would get better visibility here.

There are a few rattles, squeaks, and noises I have in my vert that I was hoping to see if someone else had these same issues or had a solution. This is my third convertible, so I don't expect them to be hermetically sealed, but I am usually able to eventually track these noises down. They drive me crazy lol.

1 - Clear wind noise on the driver side that appears to be coming from between the two windows where they meet. I say appear to be coming from because I can't tell for sure but it really seems like it's right at my ear by the two window seals.

2 - Rattle/squeaking coming from both sides intermittently that appears to be coming from where the top pillar goes into the sides. Where the retractable cover is. Again, hard to hear exactly where its coming from but I hear it just about any time I am traveling on rough pavement or go over bumps. I hear it with the top up mostly.

3 - Creaking top. This one took a bit to narrow down, but I am positive it is coming from the top near the A-pillar. It may sound minor, but it creaks pretty well. If I pull down slightly on the top where it mounts to the top of the windshield, the noise completely goes away. It makes me think that perhaps the magnetic latch might need to be tightened if possible to latch it tighter. Does that make sense.

Thanks everyone!
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:40 AM   #2
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1966 View Post
Hey guys - I have posted these before, but now that we have our own sub forum, figured I would get better visibility here.

There are a few rattles, squeaks, and noises I have in my vert that I was hoping to see if someone else had these same issues or had a solution. This is my third convertible, so I don't expect them to be hermetically sealed, but I am usually able to eventually track these noises down. They drive me crazy lol.

1 - Clear wind noise on the driver side that appears to be coming from between the two windows where they meet. I say appear to be coming from because I can't tell for sure but it really seems like it's right at my ear by the two window seals.

2 - Rattle/squeaking coming from both sides intermittently that appears to be coming from where the top pillar goes into the sides. Where the retractable cover is. Again, hard to hear exactly where its coming from but I hear it just about any time I am traveling on rough pavement or go over bumps. I hear it with the top up mostly.

3 - Creaking top. This one took a bit to narrow down, but I am positive it is coming from the top near the A-pillar. It may sound minor, but it creaks pretty well. If I pull down slightly on the top where it mounts to the top of the windshield, the noise completely goes away. It makes me think that perhaps the magnetic latch might need to be tightened if possible to latch it tighter. Does that make sense.

Thanks everyone!
Took mine to the dealer when I heard a creak coming from back of the car, drivers side. Car only had a couple hundred miles on it. They found a broken clip and replaced. At 11,000 miles or so, the small spring actuated cover that goes into place after the top is down was failing to pop up on the drivers side and I could hear a squeak from the passengers side when top was up. Took to the dealer and they replaced both assembles (DS and PS). This eliminated the problems. I can dig up the service records if you want more details. I love the car! Love the Top! Can't wait for winter to end.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Your # 2 is the same thing mine is doing. Service manager said it's the latch mechanism rattling on the bolt the retractable top latches onto.

Looks like we may have an official design flaw on our hands....
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
Biggdummy

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driski View Post
Took mine to the dealer when I heard a creak coming from back of the car, drivers side. Car only had a couple hundred miles on it. They found a broken clip and replaced. At 11,000 miles or so, the small spring actuated cover that goes into place after the top is down was failing to pop up on the drivers side and I could hear a squeak from the passengers side when top was up. Took to the dealer and they replaced both assembles (DS and PS). This eliminated the problems. I can dig up the service records if you want more details. I love the car! Love the Top! Can't wait for winter to end.
Do you know what clip was broken and replaced? I have a noise. coming from strait back behind my head ,sounds almost like a cable maybe.
Biggdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
MattDinOC

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
I have the wind noise - No idea if that is considered normal or not, but it doesn't bother me. No other persistent noises while driving. The tonneau cover makes a little squeak when it opens/closes. I'll have that fixed under warranty when I feel like bringing it in.
3000 - 08/18/16 | TPW 09/05 - 08/23/16
3100 - 08/30/16 | TPW 09/12 - 08/30/16
3400 - 09/06/16 | TPW 09/05 - 09/06/16
3800 - 09/15/16 | 4200 - 09/20/16
6000 - 09/29/16 - on Camaro's 50th Birthday!
MattDinOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #6
Biggdummy

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss vert
Wind noise is not normal.If i had any i wouldn't be able to hear my little rattle.
Biggdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:48 AM   #7
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggdummy View Post
Do you know what clip was broken and replaced? I have a noise. coming from strait back behind my head ,sounds almost like a cable maybe.
I have finally dug out the service record regarding the noise I was hearing with the top up. It is as follows:
Test drove vehicle verified creek noise over bump from driver rear. Inspect drivers rear of interior and found creek noise to be coming from underneath quarter lower rear trim panel. Removed front side door sill garnish molding, quarter upper trim panel, and rear back seat cushion seats to remove quarter lower trim panel. Inspected for damage. Found the metal retaining tabs securing quarter lower trim panel once installed to cause creek noise while driving over bumps. Installed Kent automotive BRS flocking tape on metal retaining tabs that secure quarter lower trim panel. Reinstalled all parts in reverse order…
I have not heard the noise since.

Hope this helps!