Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #1065
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltespd View Post
I've been rowing gears for 30 years. I still love it...always will.
And that's fair. It's still fun as hell sometimes. My sarcastic responses are only for the guy who thinks that they have somehow validated themselves as comleting some sort of accomplishment because they drive a stick and someone else drives an auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSS Guy View Post

That's all I'm saying. I learned to drive a stick in my old man's 67 Lemans (Which I still have BTW) and it just never gets old or more fun. Like I said, just my opinion (since it's an opinion poll) and I respect others (67%) right to dissagree.
In fairness, you said;

Quote:
IMHO this car was meant to be pure muscle.
Telling us that an auto isn't.

Of course it's opinion. But as the rival (tranny, L99) I'm gonna pounce.

It's an ongoing battle that's fun for some of us and you kinda stepped in the middle.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #1066
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again. I would love to know the age of the people that voted for and against the auto. Would be interesting bit of info.
Mark
Betcha most of those that voted for Manual are Tweens. Noticed I said most and not all. So feel free to correct me all you want.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #1067
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSS Guy View Post
I realize that I am voting against the popular opinion here but IMHO this car was meant to be pure muscle. Seriously, an A6, I don't get it!? You're missing out if you do. I rented an SS A6, drove it down the PCH and then bought my 2SS/RS M6. Right this minute I am sitting in on the beach after driving from Reno NV to the coast, down the Pacific Coast Highway (1) through LA (Stop n Go) and to San Diego over 2 days. The perfect trip with my lady. This car is also my daily driver. Half the fun is being able to drop the clutch and slamming through the gears! Just my opinion, but every time a gear head asks about her (Cynthia), first question is about the engine and the second is always about the tranny... No regrets.
Yeah - let's take an M6 car and pit it against an A6, making the same power, but give the A6 a stall and good tranny tune and see where the muscle is. Muscle is all about getting to the finish line first, and you'll be hard-pressed to drive around a stalled auto'. I'd rather put my hands on my lady on a long drive than massage my shifter knob... lol.

My point - don't be so quick to dismiss an auto, because they're at least a match for a stick car on the strip (where muscle cars run) with a stall and good tuning. Now, on a road course, that might be a little different, however, you said muscle, not sports car.

JMVHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
And if you're honest, the guy asking is Joe Dirt, really young and still patting himself on the back for learning the incredibly difficult task of shifting, or trailer trash.

And what do you mean by pure muscle? I've added nearly 200 ponies to mine. So it's not pure muscle?

I drove a manual tranny for 20 years. Thrill is gone. I grew out of it. I'd prefer to win at the strip.

YES, it's fun to row gears. But it's old to me. Been there, done that.
You know what? My first car was a '95 LT1 with a T56. I LOVED IT!!! I ran a couple hundred passes down the 1320' with that car. When I found my '02, I was initially put off by the slushbox. I still got it, and while it was still faster than my '95, it just wasn't as fun... until I got the stall. When I finally got the tune down, it was WAY more fun than the '95. Even though I wasn't as engaged down the strip, it was made up for after the last amber lit, because when those MT ET Streets bit, and my car shot through the 60' in 1.6X seconds, that was ALL muscle. I know that's not that fast, but considering what the car was, and what the mods' were, I think it's respectabe. I'd like to see how many other M6 cars, with the same mods', were running times like that. You tell a '70 Chevelle SS454 with a TH400 it's not a muscle car because of the M40...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #1068
Viral

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
And if you're honest, the guy asking is Joe Dirt, really young and still patting himself on the back for learning the incredibly difficult task of shifting, or trailer trash.
I consider myself anything but white trash (college educated, own a nice house in a country club in a fairly upscale suburb, earn a good salary as a network engineer, wife, kids, all the normal stuff) and I FAR prefer the feeling of driving a manual. That's a lousy stereotype IMO.

Quote:
I'd prefer to win at the strip.
Winning at the dragstrip with an auto is like 'scoring' at a whorehouse. It takes absolutely no skill, just money Not exactly something to brag about.

Quote:
YES, it's fun to row gears. But it's old to me. Been there, done that.
Just as I stated 10 pages ago, I have yet to hear an excuse (outside of a disability) that isn't attributed to laziness or incompetence. Since you know how to drive a manual, yours is laziness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eL_777 View Post
Yup, that's what I would love to do but we'll see. Just graduated as a pharmacist and still trying to get my life together before I go off and buy an expensive car... but ya, definitely looking into this one.
Damn, looking to spend upwards of $60,000 on a car straight out of college? That's hardcore dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again. I would love to know the age of the people that voted for and against the auto. Would be interesting bit of info.
I'm 38 and voted no.

But as I stated many times before, it's not because I want to force my personal preference on others. It's because, unlike the SS, the ZL1 is NOT a standard production vehicle with an entire 3 shift plant dedicated to making them. It will simply cost too much money to offer such a limited production car with two drivetrains. That is the ONLY reason why you can't get an auto Z06, ZR1 or GT500.

And you guys reading this already know it to be true, but I'll say it out loud anyway. It's going to be the same with the ZL1.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #1069
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

You know what? My first car was a '95 LT1 with a T56. I LOVED IT!!! I ran a couple hundred passes down the 1320' with that car. When I found my '02, I was initially put off by the slushbox. I still got it, and while it was still faster than my '95, it just wasn't as fun... until I got the stall. When I finally got the tune down, it was WAY more fun than the '95. Even though I wasn't as engaged down the strip, it was made up for after the last amber lit, because when those MT ET Streets bit, and my car shot through the 60' in 1.6X seconds, that was ALL muscle. I know that's not that fast, but considering what the car was, and what the mods' were, I think it's respectabe. I'd like to see how many other M6 cars, with the same mods', were running times like that. You tell a '70 Chevelle SS454 with a TH400 it's not a muscle car because of the M40...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
I consider myself anything but white trash (college educated, own a nice house in a country club in a fairly upscale suburb, earn a good salary as a network engineer, wife, kids, all the normal stuff) and I FAR prefer the feeling of driving a manual. That's a lousy stereotype IMO.
Read my post again. I'm talking about the guy who comes up and the first question is wether it's a stick or auto. Not wether you drive one. THAT makes my stereotype quite acurate. I'm guessing you woudnn't do that.

Quote:
Winning at the dragstrip with an auto is like 'scoring' at a whorehouse. It takes absolutely no skill, just money Not exactly something to brag about.
Wow. You brag about driving a stick?

Quote:
Just as I stated 10 pages ago, I have yet to hear an excuse (outside of a disability) that isn't attributed to laziness or incompetence. Since you know how to drive a manual, yours is laziness
LMAO You really DO believe it's quite an accomplishment to drive a stick, don't you?

I thought you said you were educated?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #1070
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
So...why don't you use a rotary telephone anymore?

Have a smartphone? Why don't you have a dumb phone, a pager, a PDA, and laptop case everywhere you go instead?

Air conditioning? What's wrong with a wet rag and a fan?

Chainsaw, really now...where's your pull-saw?

.....And it keeps going.

It's called Innovation...It's called 'technology'.
And if they offer it -- it's called a choice.

YOUR way is not the right way. Neither is mine. It depends entirely on the person who's talking...respect that.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #1071
HKEY_
Banned

Drives: toyota 4x4 gsxr 1000 carrera s
Quote:
sorry, skill with a manual in a car is nothing to brag about. here is the definition. An oxymoron (plural oxymorons or oxymora) (from Greek ὀξύμωρον, "sharp dull") is a figure of speech that combines contradictory terms.
HKEY_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #1072
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
This is just plain funny
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #1073
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
This is just plain funny
My son LOLed.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #1074
Viral

PQ - you can't possibly be arguing that driving an auto (drag or road course) requires equal skill to driving a manual. You even said yourself that you want to win, meaning you expect a manual would put you at a disadvantage.

And yes, on the 1320 in an auto, you brake torque, floor it and keep it pointed straight. Whoever has the most traction and HP (more money) usually wins, all other things being equal. Diver skill is removed from the equation. Let the car do the thinking.

Dragoneye - I've never once argued that automatic transmissions aren't higher tech or faster. I understand that they are, but that technology disconnects you, the driver, from half of the fun of driving. I could build a machine that could hit a golf ball 500 yards and using it would be MUCH higher tech than a titanium driver, but removing that skill with technology wouldn't make the game more fun to play. I'm a webmaster and Internet network engineer by trade. I LOVE technology. I'm sending this very reply on a smartphone. But I don't want to be a passenger in the driver's seat of my muscle car! My family hauler SUV? Absolutely, but not my FUN car!

And if you had read all of my previous reply, I said my opinion on this particular poll was based on manufacturing costs for a limited production car, not on forcing my personal opinion on others.

If you want to own an auto SS, then by all means, be as lazy as you want! It's your life. But it's ok for some of us to have an opinion other than yours about this topic when it affects everyone (even manual owners).
Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #1075
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
And if you had read all of my previous reply, I said my opinion on this particular poll was based on manufacturing costs for a limited production car, not on forcing my personal opinion on others.

But it's ok for some of us to have an opinion other than yours about this topic when it affects everyone (even manual owned).
Excellent points!!

So then I'd ask you to please stop calling, or insinuating that automatic drivers, or those who favor the idea of an automatic in the ZL1 are "lazy".
Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #1076
ZenitramSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
So...why don't you use a rotary telephone anymore?

Have a smartphone? Why don't you have a dumb phone, a pager, a PDA, and laptop case everywhere you go instead?

Air conditioning? What's wrong with a wet rag and a fan?

Chainsaw, really now...where's your pull-saw?

.....And it keeps going.

It's called Innovation...It's called 'technology'.
And if they offer it -- it's called a choice.

YOUR way is not the right way. Neither is mine. It depends entirely on the person who's talking...respect that.

That about sums it up! Dragoneye for Mayor!
2011 2SS Imperial Blue - Volant CAI - SLP Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers - SLP Hi Flow Cats - Flowmaster Cat Back - SLP Line Lock - Full Hotchkis Race Pack Suspension - LS3 Conversion - Wild Comp Cam - Circle D Converter - Edlebrock E Force Supercharger - Weld Racing Wheels - M&H Drag Radial Tires -
ZenitramSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #1077
Viral

Lol, I know it stings to hear that, but it is true. If you know how to drive a stick and you choose an auto for a Camaro because shifting in rush hour traffic is tedious, or you've been there done that, IMO that's just being lazy. But I've made my point on the topic, so I won't bring it up again
Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #1078
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Lol, I know it stings to hear that, but it is true. If you know how to drive a stick and you choose an auto for a Camaro because shifting in rush hour traffic is tedious, or you've been there done that, IMO that's just being lazy. But I've made my point on the topic, so I won't bring it up again
I can see where you're coming from...I don't agree, but I can see...in the end, I'm just sure nobody appreciates accusations of laziness over something as silly as this. And your discretion is much appreciated.