Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 07-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #1
KikyoLamb

Drives: 2022 2SS
New wheel/tire setup issues

Hey guys , recently I got a new tire and wheel setup on my 22 SS. I went with 285/30/20 fronts and 305/30/20 backs. My wheels are Front : 20x10 and Back 20x11. The wheel I chose was the Blaque Diamond BD-11. As soon as I picked my car up from its mount and balance I noticed it was much much slower with meh acceleration and handled worse.Also after getting it to about 110ish it started to sort of swerve. Could this be a wheel weight issue? A tire size issue ? Or maybe even an error on the people who did the mount and balance ?
KikyoLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:51 AM   #2
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
It sounds more like a tire and/or alignment issue. What brand and model of tires did you purchase?
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:14 AM   #3
KikyoLamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
It sounds more like a tire and/or alignment issue. What brand and model of tires did you purchase?
I went really cheap with the tires :/ atturo AZ850 rear… fortune viento fsr702 front.. saw great reviews for both so I figured why not save some $
Old 07-03-2022, 08:21 AM   #4
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikyoLamb View Post
I went really cheap with the tires :/ atturo AZ850 rear… fortune viento fsr702 front.. saw great reviews for both so I figured why not save some $
I’m not familiar with either of those tires, but I’m sure some of the guys are, so they will offer opinions. Hopefully, you just need an alignment.
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:26 AM   #5
Z28GTOSSMike

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS
As a general rule I don't normally mismatch front and rear tire brands. Might be a contributing factor.
Z28GTOSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:41 AM   #6
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I can't find these tires on tire rack or any site that I can make a reliable comparison. It sounds like you downgraded the rubber on the car, and as mentioned above mixing 2 different brands of tire will absolutely compromise the performance of the car.

It is very likely your new setup is heavier than the previous, which will also impact the performance as you have mentioned noticing already.

I bet it looks better, but definitely not a performance upgrade.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:49 AM   #7
Camden45

Drives: Chevrolet Chevy
Quote:
Great reviews by whom? Actual professional reviews or just random people on the internet?

Preliminary research shows your wheels are rolling bricks they weigh so much. If the websites are somewhat correct, your wheels weigh about 37-40lbs each, that's not even including the tires. Unsprung weight is the worst weight, and you basically attached anchors to your car.

I've never even heard of these tires before, so I did a quick check on the atturos... Dude these are tires made for light trucks and SUVs. You've got a 455hp high performance sports car, and you've made it to where the car can't even put power to the ground effectively anymore.

By being cheap, you literally shot yourself in the foot. Not only did you make your car much, much worse, you just threw thousands of dollars down the drain.

Congratulations, You played yourself.

Last edited by Camden45; 07-03-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Camden45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #8
KikyoLamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
Great reviews by whom? Actual professional reviews or just random people on the internet?

Preliminary research shows your wheels are rolling bricks they weigh so much. If the websites are somewhat correct, your wheels weigh about 37-40lbs each, that's not even including the tires. Unsprung weight is the worst weight, and you basically attached anchors to your car.

I've never even heard of these tires before, so I did a quick check on the atturos... Dude these are tires made for light trucks and SUVs. You've got a 455hp high performance sports car, and you've made it to where the car can't even put power to the ground effectively anymore.

By being cheap, you literally shot yourself in the foot. Not only did you make your car much, much worse, you just threw thousands of dollars down the drain.

Congratulations, You played yourself.
Seriously just reviews from priority tire customers.. my god im an idiot .. And you’re right , seeing the weight now after doing the research I should’ve done at the start.. could you maybe recommend some all season tires and a lighter wheel ?
Old 07-03-2022, 10:09 AM   #9
KikyoLamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28GTOSSMike View Post
As a general rule I don't normally mismatch front and rear tire brands. Might be a contributing factor.
Noted!
Old 07-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #10
KikyoLamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I can't find these tires on tire rack or any site that I can make a reliable comparison. It sounds like you downgraded the rubber on the car, and as mentioned above mixing 2 different brands of tire will absolutely compromise the performance of the car.

It is very likely your new setup is heavier than the previous, which will also impact the performance as you have mentioned noticing already.

I bet it looks better, but definitely not a performance upgrade.
Thanks for the knowledge It’s been absorbed
Old 07-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #11
Camden45

Quote:
Seriously just reviews from priority tire customers.. my god im an idiot .. And you’re right , seeing the weight now after doing the research I should’ve done at the start.. could you maybe recommend some all season tires and a lighter wheel ?
Even with the heavier wheel, you might not even know the difference. Since you've already bought them, you might as well use them. Your biggest problem is your tires. You could get a proper set of tires to start with, and you should probably be good to go. I'll let others recommend proper performance tires on a budget.

If you want to do your own research, along with suggestions from other owners here, you could start here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testSearch.jsp
Old 07-03-2022, 11:18 AM   #12
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I’d look for a flow formed/rotary forged wheel that you like because that type of wheel is middle of the road for weight and strength. It’s also not as expensive as a full forged wheel.

The tire choice I’d go with for A/S would be a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

Here’s a link to read about wheel construction. https://astforgetech.com/cast-vs-flo...al-difference/

Hopefully you can get those wheels and tires sold to offset expense.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #13
Camden45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
I’d look for a flow formed/rotary forged wheel that you like because that type of wheel is middle of the road for weight and strength. It’s also not as expensive as a full forged wheel.

The tire choice I’d go with for A/S would be a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

Here’s a link to read about wheel construction. https://astforgetech.com/cast-vs-flo...al-difference/

Hopefully you can get those wheels and tires sold to offset expense.
Selling it all would also be an option, but it's going to be difficult, or he'll have to take a heavy loss on it to move it quicker. He can get the tires now. If he's still feeling a heavy hit to performance with quality tires because of the wheels, then at that point he can always get new wheels for the tires to be re-used with.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:40 AM   #14
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
Selling it all would also be an option, but it's going to be difficult, or he'll have to take a heavy loss on it to move it quicker. He can get the tires now. If he's still feeling a heavy hit to performance with quality tires because of the wheels, then at that point he can always get new wheels for the tires to be re-used with.
That’s a fact! I looked up those wheels too and they are heavier than the smaller stock wheels.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote