Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #113
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Well took off my bumper this afternoon. It was a lot easier than that C7 Corvette. No clips, all bolts. That dam electrical connection on the driver's side, which marries the bumper to the car was a complete bitxx! I had to get my daughter and her small hands to disconnect it. Of course, that was after 30 mins of trying myself. You all know it is a man thing.
I labeled all the deflector/air dam pieces, along with placing the bolts/screws to a particular part in separate plastic bags and marking them. Will never be able to remember what goes to where in a month or so! All in all, if it wasn't for the aforementioned connector the job went smoothly.

Tomorrow onto taking the grills out, removing the LEDs and splitter.
Attached Images

Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 11-23-2019 at 12:39 PM.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #114
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
That connection has tripped up many a YouTuber....lol

Picture didn't come through.....
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:16 AM   #115
PROMETHEUS

Removed the lower grill and LEDs, which were fairly easy. However, I need some advise on getting those clips to disengage from the ducts. I tried from about an hour and only got two, top left on the driver side and the top right on the passenger side. The rest.....shall we say are stubborn. I am afraid to keep trying to muscle them, for fear of braking one.
Has anyone had any tricks of success for them?
Those are the first 1LE parts I will be receiving sometime next week, if I cant get them off, maybe a trip to the dealer to have them switch them out might be a better alternative.

Any suggestions or ideas from "those in the know" are greatly appreciated.

BTW....I can confirm that the inside of the bumper is marked for both the dive plane and splitter wing/deflector cutouts.

Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 11-23-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:51 AM   #116
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
AWESOME to hear the bumper IS marked!
If you are referring to those "bear trap" / alligator teeth metal clips, they are a BITCH! I have just said screw it and sprung them open with 2 needle nosed pliers and replaced them with new.....(that's one reason I bought that bag of 20 off of ebay for really cheap) Dodge uses that style too, that's where I got my first taste of those suckers!

Looks like you are the guinea pig.....my tear down is probably not going to be til after Thanksgiving, so THANKS for your marching on and keeping us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Removed the lower grill and LEDs, which were fairly easy. However, I need some advise on getting those clips to disengage from the ducts. I tried from about an hour and only got two, top left on the driver side and the top right on the passenger side. The rest.....shall we say are stubborn. I am afraid to keep trying to muscle them, for fear of braking one.
Has anyone had any tricks of success for them?
Those are the first 1LE parts I will be receiving sometime next week, if I cant get them off, maybe a trip to the dealer to have them switch them out might be a better alternative.

Any suggestions or ideas from "those in the know" are greatly appreciated.

BTW....I can confirm that the inside of the bumper is marked for both the dive plane and splitter wing/deflector cutouts.
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #117
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Does anyone have the GM Part Number for the kit listed on Wild Hammer?

https://wildhammermotorsports.com/16...eneral-motors/
Old 11-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #118
PROMETHEUS

No, I am referring to the plastic ones that go around the bezels of the day time running lights. The ones everyone seems to have difficulty removing. The angle of them just seems to be impossible to get them release by hand! And every hand tool I use on them seems to make them more stubborn.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #119
PROMETHEUS

Badmojo,

The bezels/ducts are 84277493 and 84277492
The dive planes are 23329726 and 23329727
The connectors for the dive planes is 11547341 x 8

I just ordered them from gmpartsoutlet.com
ducts are $46.80 each and dive planes are $46.97 each. I paid less $20 shipping to 22556. They do NOT mark up the shipping like most sites. In fact, they are a sponsor of the forum...Genesis Chevrolet.
I ordered the connectors from my local Chevy dealer. The overall cost of them were cheaper, because no shipping costs.
I believe FireCaptain may have picked those connectors up even cheaper via Ebay/Amazon from a China maker.

Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 11-23-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #120
PROMETHEUS

Figure I would share a couple of pics of the markings on the back of the bumper for the dive planes and splitter deflector/wing
Attached Images

Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 11-23-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #121
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Prometheus,

Thanks for the details. Can you confirm the quantity of:
The connectors for the dive planes is 11547341 x 8

The GM Schematic shows a quantity of 6, so I'm confused if I need 6, 8, or 12.

The link didn't work.

Quote:
Figure I would share a couple of pics of the markings on the back of the bumper for the dive planes and splitter deflector/wing

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...PufXdBltUXBRjm
Old 11-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #122
PROMETHEUS

I am working on the link!

I am assuming it is 8, because you have 4 slots for each dive plane. Two that are in each bezel "factory installed" and two on the bumper "user made".

Keep in mind, I am flying by the seat of my pants on this build. I will tell you that there are a bunch of these same type of connectors on both the splitter and lower grill of the ZL1.

1. I don't know how many of them are reused on the 1LE parts, so you may not need any.
2. I don't know if they are the same size, because I don't have the dive planes in my hands at this time to check. I will confirm once I have them.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #123
PROMETHEUS

Both links should be working!
Old 11-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #124
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Both links should be working!

Still broken. You can upload the files to the forum with the paper clip in the advanced editing.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #125
PROMETHEUS

Thanks for pic info, corrected.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #126
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
Quote:
Well took off my bumper this afternoon. It was a lot easier than that C7 Corvette. No clips, all bolts. That dam electrical connection on the driver's side, which marries the bumper to the car was a complete bitxx! I had to get my daughter and her small hands to disconnect it. Of course, that was after 30 mins of trying myself. You all know it is a man thing.
I labeled all the deflector/air dam pieces, along with placing the bolts/screws to a particular part in separate plastic bags and marking them. Will never be able to remember what goes to where in a month or so! All in all, if it wasn't for the aforementioned connector the job went smoothly.

Tomorrow onto taking the grills out, removing the LEDs and splitter.
Prometheus, I have a huge favor to ask of you if your willing. I’d like to know which horn, left or right gets the switched hot feed, it is of course possible that each horns wires go separately to the relay location but in most cases I’ve found one horn gets the hot switched leads and then another pair of wires go from that plug/connection to the other horn.

The reason ? I’m looking to replace the primary (if wired that way) horn with another type that requires a more robust relay, so basically I would run the new relay off the existing as a slave relay If that make sense. I believe I can access each of the horns from the wheel well liner (hopefully) If not I’ll have to remove the front fascia like you have done here for your project of which I would and have contemplated doing should I have to for the horn swap.

I live in a city of completely inattentive drivers and have been nearly run off the road too many times and have found the horns to be completely ineffective so I’m going to install the world smallest and loudest air horn primarily designed for motorcycles, at 140db, I should be able to get other drivers attention.

Thanks in advance if your willing to take a look !
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote