Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #197
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Yes, they are a pain in the axx. The 1LEs where easier to install, but 4 hands are better than 2.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:59 AM   #198
A-A-RON

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Nope, it has 19 slots at the bottom. That ought to be fun seating all of those!

Do you have a picture of the factory ZL1 grille for comparison?

Id like to know if it can have slots dremel'd into it to receive the 1LE front splitter. All the tabs on the 1LE splitter and bumper seem to be in alignment, so if the slots in the factory grille have spaces in between, I dont see why not.

Thanks
A-A-RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #199
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A-RON View Post
Do you have a picture of the factory ZL1 grille for comparison?

Id like to know if it can have slots dremel'd into it to receive the 1LE front splitter. All the tabs on the 1LE splitter and bumper seem to be in alignment, so if the slots in the factory grille have spaces in between, I dont see why not.

Thanks
The regular ZL1 grill has 8 slots on the bottom and the 1LE has 19 slots. So 8 of the 19 are in the same location between the two grills. Don't think you will be able to Dremel out the other 11 in the regular grill, without compromising the integrity of it. Although it might be possible, those tabs are smaller. IMHO, just purchase the 1LE grill!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #200
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
All I know is......

1. It was a PITA!
2. It's over!

Welcome to the club......

But here's what I compiled.....

***Pro-Tip*** shove thin popsicle like sticks into every tab of the grill and it just pulls right off in about two yanks.

I wish I had done this with every other piece.

How to get these bezels out? I am afraid to break these fasteners.
Finger strength (The bezels were the toughest, just wait til you put the new ones in they are very hard to press in) especially the lower outside corner, had to use something to press against the bezel, fingers couldn't do it..
You have to work slow... keeping pressure on the part so once you unlock it by pushing up or down, the tab has a lip that has to clear the slot on the fascia... keep pressure on it once it clears or you go to the next one and it locks back in place with out you knowing!
Start along the top outside edge and move inward.. then the lower side, starting on opposite edge
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #201
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
ZL1 1/2LE Done, Thanks for the tips

Thanks for all the tips.

My Tips:
1. Get extra fasteners from LB Auto. They sell the white clips and the square nuts for the front spoiler winglets. I thought I had bought a ton of extra white clips, but only had 2 left after it was all said and done (I bought 20).

2. Some of the install requires two people and possibly a rubber mallet with a towel wrapped around it. Make sure all tabs are lined up, before the mallet.

3. I used 5 gallon buckets to become my work bench. It saved my back.

4. A dremel with a routing bit and a small file set make cutting the 6 slots easier. I used painters tape on the painted side to keep from chipping the paint.

5. I kept the stock upper grille and can't tell a big difference even in direct sunlight.

6. The bezels suck. They are an interference fit. Use a plastic trim tool to pry the bezel and I also used an exacto knife to slightly trim the edges of the tight tabs. 1st one took two hours, the 2nd took ten minutes.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #202
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Pics

Pictures
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #203
Firecaptain

Another alternative would be to cut off the tabs on the 1LE splitter that there are no slots for......and for those considering.....the upper grill gave me a much harder time than the others for some reason.....probably do to the limited space.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
The regular ZL1 grill has 8 slots on the bottom and the 1LE has 19 slots. So 8 of the 19 are in the same location between the two grills. Don't think you will be able to Dremel out the other 11 in the regular grill, without compromising the integrity of it. Although it might be possible, those tabs are smaller. IMHO, just purchase the 1LE grill!
Old 07-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #204
FalconerOneSeven

Drives: ZL1
I want to thank everyone to shim in and help me pulled the trigger on the front end 1le conversion. Pretty much all my questions were met in this post.

One advise though:

Don't buy the front the Splitter and lower grille online, although much cheaper than the dealership, the onilne shipping cost from places like GMpartsDirect is astronomical! I saved $379.00 total accounting for the parts price difference. The shipping cost of the rest of the parts purchased online and required for the conversion came down to $59.00
FalconerOneSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #205
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconerOneSeven View Post
I want to thank everyone to shim in and help me pulled the trigger on the front end 1le conversion. Pretty much all my questions were met in this post.

One advise though:

Don't buy the front the Splitter and lower grille online, although much cheaper than the dealership, the onilne shipping cost from places like GMpartsDirect is astronomical! I saved $379.00 total accounting for the parts price difference. The shipping cost of the rest of the parts purchased online and required for the conversion came down to $59.00
GM Parts Direct baits you in with low cost then astronomical shipping even on small parts. It was / is run out of Flow Chevy in NC.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #206
FalconerOneSeven

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
GM Parts Direct baits you in with low cost then astronomical shipping even on small parts. It was / is run out of Flow Chevy in NC.
It seems like most of them online such as cheapGMparts practice the same baits technique, from instance they wanted $266.0 to ship the front splitter meanwhile it is worth $219.00 at the dealership
FalconerOneSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #207
Yessa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Complete waste of $. No wonder Americans are so in debt.
Yessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #208
Firecaptain

LMAO SMH.....and in America we can do what the f*ck WE want to do with OUR own money Chuck.....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessa View Post
Complete waste of $. No wonder Americans are so in debt.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #209
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Thx for reviving this one Falconer.
Sub'd for reference
Old 02-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #210
S2000_Europe

Drives: Corvette GS w Z07 Package
What I have seen, the regular lip and the 1le lip are very similar in total surface and shape.
The big difference are the side winglets. 1LE are very tall compared with almost non-existent ZL1

Those who were brave enough to do the swap alone, can confirm this?