Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 11-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #127
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
It appears that both horns have a switch hot feed. In fact the drivers side horn is wired to the same connector as the LED Running Lamps, which I had to disconnect to get the bumper off. You should be able to get to both via the wheel well liner. I can take a couple of pics if you would like.

Tony
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #128
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
Tony.......absolutely!

Pics pics and more pics.....keep them coming!

Please post a pic of that stubborn clip you referenced please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
I can take a couple of pics if you would like.

Tony
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #129
PROMETHEUS

Sure thing. I got them out today, but it was not easy and time consuming. My suspicion is the piece is most likely installed by a robot. Because it was like taking a square peg out of a round hole and was most likely never intended to be removed.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #130
CharlieRomeo

Drives: 2020 White ZLE A10
I just bought a QuickJack so hopefully that will make getting underneath the car and getting those front bumper cover bolts easier.
CharlieRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #131
PROMETHEUS

I had the car up about 12 inches on jacks and everything was easy to remove and/or get to, except for that connector on the driver's side of the DRLs and side markers.
Tip of the Day.....remove the tires. It is so much easier to move around.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #132
The Manalishi

Drives: 2018 M5
I got asked if mine was a real 1LE at least 10 times today. Apparently this is a pretty popular swap.

@L8erbro, what are you going to do with your stock rear spoiler?

Last edited by The Manalishi; 11-23-2019 at 10:42 PM.
The Manalishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:16 AM   #133
AddictedtoSpeed

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2004 Pontiac GTO
I just did this swap last weekend and can confirm and add a couple of things that may help some of you or at least be prepared for.

Each canard/dive plane takes 6 clips, 4 along the bottom into the new duct and 2 into the new slots you cut in the bumper. Total of 12. You will also need 2 additional clips for the winglets on the 1LE splitter, 1 each side, where you also have to cut a new slot in the bumper for each side. I also had two of the clips in the grill break removing it. In my case I used 16 clips over and above what are already being re-used. I bought them online, 2 bags, 10 to a bag, for considerably cheaper than going through a GM supplier.

The ducts are a royal pain to get off, as has been mention time and again. Be prepared for a fight. In my case I found the most success using some plastic panel trim tools and inserting them between the tabs as I pushed them back. The new ducts may also fight you going back on. Mine did. Believe it was the lower inside corner on each of them. I made the mistake of seating them and setting the clips as I worked my way around then couldn't get those corners to seat. And I went to some extreme measures. Ultimately had to go through the struggle of releasing all those clips AGAIN and removing the duct to start from the beginning. Paid more attention to the inside corners, lubed them up, and used a hammer.

Painting. I went into this hoping to be able to match the Mosaic Black. While I could have done the splitter and side winglets, NOBODY would touch the grill, canards or ducts due to the textured surface and type of plastic used in the manufacture. It is not ABS but ASA plastic, super durable and more resistant to fading but not great for painting due to adhesion issues. I almost bailed on the project at this point. Glad I didn't. There is more gloss to the natural plastic than I was expecting and it actually blends quite well. Side benefit is that if any piece gets damaged they are cheap to replace. The rest of the front end has PPF but I'm going to leave the new pieces as is.

I found it easier to install the splitter first then the grill due to the tabs that insert into the grill rather than the other way around. Don't ask me how I know this. LOL.

If anyone has already done PPF, I found I didn't have to trim and remove any of it to install the canards.

It's not absolutely necessary to get the new wiring harness. You can secure the connectors from the driving lights.

Regarding the discussion on shipping - every where I looked, the single factor that jacked the shipping cost up was the splitter. I could get everything shipped without the splitter for next to nothing. Add in the splitter and it instantly added $200, give or take.

https://www.gmpartsnow.com/ was $15.00 for shipping on the splitter. Still is. Hope it doesn't change. This was the only GM site that had reasonable shipping that I found.

https://www.gmwarehousedirect.com/ was free shipping on everything else. A little more on the parts than some places but the free shipping made up for it.

Any thing I can answer that may help someone, feel free to ask.

Last edited by AddictedtoSpeed; 11-24-2019 at 12:31 AM.
AddictedtoSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #134
PROMETHEUS

I forgot to mention this on my Friday post. On the top rail of the bumper, there are 8 screws and 2 push pins. Two of the screws have hard plastic spacers "see pic".

Tip of the Day.....Remove these, because when you pull that portion of the bumper off, they will fall out/off. When I removed the screws they didn't move, so I assumed they were adhered to the mounting plate. NOT! One luckily fell outside the engine and other didn't. Dam it! I made sure it wasn't laying on top of one of the belt pulleys. I looked for about 30 minutes, but it is only about 1/4 inch wide and about that thick.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #135
PROMETHEUS

Great information Addicted.

Already on the gmwarehousedirect site, ordering.

The clips that hold the dive planes, and the clips that hold the ZL1 splitter are the same size......great. Any chance you could provide the info on where you got them online. Thanks in advance.

And yes, whoever designed the bezel connectors ought to be shot, LOL. I can only assume they wanted to make sure the LEDs didn't get bounced around.

Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 11-24-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #136
AddictedtoSpeed

I got the clips from LB Auto Parts.

http://www.lbautoparts.com/autoparts/

Part number is 11547341. $11.00 for a bag of 10
Old 11-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #137
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Any chance you could provide the info on where you got them online. Thanks in advance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Retainer-GM...72.m2749.l2649
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #138
PROMETHEUS

Addicted,

Thanks I found them on ebay, same seller. It had a "make an offer". So I submitted a bid for $10 and it was accepted immediately. Another saving! Thanks again, Addicted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Retainer-GM...torefresh=true

Last edited by PROMETHEUS; 11-24-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #139
AddictedtoSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecaptain View Post

LOL. Same seller. LB Auto. Think that is where I got my first bag from before I realized I was going to need some more. Ordered direct from them on the second bag. Both times I had them within a couple of days.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #140
PROMETHEUS

Addicted,

If we ever have an opportunity to meet.....I owe you lunch and beer or TWO.