Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-06-2021, 05:44 PM   #1
Jrodx

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Canards on regular ZL1?

Has anyone installed the actual canards on a regular ZL1? What was your process?
Jrodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i think you need the grill and lower lip also
Old 12-06-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
Jrodx

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i think you need the grill and lower lip also
I bought the Air ducts that attach to the Canards but I am just curious on how others drilled holes for the Canards and anything else they did to get these installed.
Jrodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrodx View Post
I bought the Air ducts that attach to the Canards but I am just curious on how others drilled holes for the Canards and anything else they did to get these installed.
Apparently 2018 and newer ZL1 have the marking inside the bumper where one needs to drill and cut.. i will be doing this soon. There are lots of threads here about it..

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
gra359

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1, 1970 BOSS 302
As Wuiquen said the markings are on the inside of the front bumper. You need to remove the whole front bumper to do this install. You will need the front Air Ducts as well as the Canards. You do not need the front grill or splitter to do what you want to do. But as long as you have the front bumper off it's a good Idea to install them all so. Here is a link that will help you out. My car starts out at post #230
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...512449&page=12
gra359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #6
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Like the others have said, you will need the 1LE airducts as well as the plastic clip that secure the canards into them (clips GM part # 11547341. You will need 12) . the front end is very easy to take off, just time consuming. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how. Thankfully on the inside of the front end its marked where and how long you need to cut. Just take your time and go slow.

I recently installed the TruFiber carbon fiber air ducts and canards and they fit exactly like OEM (which is saying alot, specially when working with carbon fiber). now im just on the forever wait list for the carbon fiber 1le grill/front spoiler. Id say total time from start to finish was right about 6 hours. Getting those plastic clips off the oem air ducts and the new ones in are a huge pain and it will kill your finger tips. In the end, it's well worth it imo.
Attached Images

AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #7
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
Like the others have said, you will need the 1LE airducts as well as the plastic clip that secure the canards into them (clips GM part # 11547341. You will need 12) . the front end is very easy to take off, just time consuming. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how. Thankfully on the inside of the front end its marked where and how long you need to cut. Just take your time and go slow.

I recently installed the TruFiber carbon fiber air ducts and canards and they fit exactly like OEM (which is saying alot, specially when working with carbon fiber). now im just on the forever wait list for the carbon fiber 1le grill/front spoiler. Id say total time from start to finish was right about 6 hours. Getting those plastic clips off the oem air ducts and the new ones in are a huge pain and it will kill your finger tips. In the end, it's well worth it imo.
Niceee.. yeah I can't wait. I went full on with the lower grill and splitter.

Of course my high wing is almost ready too

Old 12-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #8
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Waiting on my order I placed on black Friday to convert the front end to 1le.

84277493 Outer Grille $48.52
84277492 Outer Grille $48.52
23329726 Deflector $51.10
23329727 Deflector $51.10
84335736 Spoiler. $146.38
23329729 Deflector $89.55
84375811 Lower Grille $120.41
11609456 Glove Box Assembly Screw qty 6 $21.66
23329728 Deflector $88.68
84718397 F Grille $201.38

From Clips and fasteners

A21835 Chrysler Moulding Clips 68225214AA Jeep Cherokee
1 $9.94

A21524 Cadillac, Chevrolet, and Pontiac Center Console Door, Front Lights, Grille, Instrument Panel & Lift Gate Nut With Silicone Pad 11610157
1 $17.40

I also went with the APR rear wing
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:37 PM   #9
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
If I could find those 2 parts in stock ANYWHERE I'd buy them ASAP. Well, in CF. The OEM stuff is fairly inexpensive though. I just don't like the flat black.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:05 AM   #10
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
I did it to my 19. On the back of the bumper there are marks to show you where you need to cut out for the canards. You will need to remove LEDs and purchase the 1LE bezels, because the canard attaches to them also. You don't have to install the center grills or 1LE spoiler, but IMHO I don't think it will look right without them. I have a list of parts you will need, along with places I found that had the cheapest prices and lowest shipping rates. But of course, with the country in its current state, I suspect those prices have gone up. Be glad to pass it along, but I need an email address, because I can't PM the word document.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #11
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
I just put only canards and bezels on my ZL1 a couple weeks, stock grill and splitter. I had the bezels smoothed and painted mosaic black and canards left texture and had painted in body color. With everything else being gloss on the car, felt I had to paint them. I looked every where to find pictures with only canards but not many out there.

Like others have said, removing the front bumper isn't hard and just time consuming. Removing the little clips to get bezels off wasn't too much fun, but wasn't as bad as I was expecting it. It took me 3.5hrs start to finish taking my time and I also swapped brake pads out while I had the front wheels off. While the front bumper is off you can remove the chrome bowtie to paint or plasti-dip if you'd like.

I haven't decided if I'm going to do the ZLE grill and splitter yet. Originally I was leaning towards a lower splitter addition from APR, but with it being a daily and getting in/out of places with the front being another 2" longer I think may not be worth it. One day I'd like to get another set of dive planes and chop an inch off the width and weld the air foil back on, I think they would fit my car better.
Attached Images

- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:25 AM   #12
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
I just put only canards and bezels on my ZL1 a couple weeks, stock grill and splitter. I had the bezels smoothed and painted mosaic black and canards left texture and had painted in body color. With everything else being gloss on the car, felt I had to paint them. I looked every where to find pictures with only canards but not many out there.

Like others have said, removing the front bumper isn't hard and just time consuming. Removing the little clips to get bezels off wasn't too much fun, but wasn't as bad as I was expecting it. It took me 3.5hrs start to finish taking my time and I also swapped brake pads out while I had the front wheels off. While the front bumper is off you can remove the chrome bowtie to paint or plasti-dip if you'd like.

I haven't decided if I'm going to do the ZLE grill and splitter yet. Originally I was leaning towards a lower splitter addition from APR, but with it being a daily and getting in/out of places with the front being another 2" longer I think may not be worth it. One day I'd like to get another set of dive planes and chop an inch off the width and weld the air foil back on, I think they would fit my car better.
How hard was removing the bowtie? How did you install it back?

Old 12-07-2021, 07:28 AM   #13
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
How hard was removing the bowtie? How did you install it back?

It's plastic welded onto the upper grill. I took an old soldering iron to melt the plastic and it pops right off. I haven't installed it back yet, haven't decided which one will work the best, 3M VHB or maybe epoxy it back. I think the latter is way to go so it sits nice and flush again.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #14
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
It's plastic welded onto the upper grill. I took an old soldering iron to melt the plastic and it pops right off. I haven't installed it back yet, haven't decided which one will work the best, 3M VHB or maybe epoxy it back. I think the latter is way to go so it sits nice and flush again.
omg you gave me a badass idea with the logo.

I been playing around with mould making and got it down.

I think ill make a clear or maybe add red tint to it and light it up like the GM but this will be hollow instead of bulky. probably use some miniature rope light i dont want to see LED dot.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote