#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 04-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #29
APEXHNTR

Drives: 2015 Turbo FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
I can see the need for his research as well, the reason the new ZR1 mounts the high profile spoiler to the actual chassis is to allow greater application of downforce on the rear of the car. Something a trunk mounted spoiler cant accomplish which may be the same issue the OP Camaro will run into when he starts looking for more downforce than what even the ZL1-1LE high mount spoiler puts down.
Thank you! I was beginning to think I was completely alone here! This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!
APEXHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:52 PM   #30
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXHNTR View Post
My evidence is personal experience. I am not so green as to have ignored the weight distribution when planning my weight shedding. Again, assuming my experience level.....

My "crap" tires are slicks and RS4s, both of which I have had tremendous success with.

I'm not sure who said I was hot stuff, and that you were a retard? If I was setting lap records, I wouldn't be on here, I'd be talking to Randy Pobst and other professional drivers for pointers. I never said I was the fastest, what I said was that I'm experienced. I'm looking to better myself, because you can always be faster.

And sure, if I had an extra $260k, I'd LOVE to have a GT4.R, but alas, I don't.

Again, not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, just not wanting to deal with people who are think they know what I need/don't need without knowing my driving ability, and have never so much as seen video of my driving, much less ridden with me. Not sure why that's too much to ask...Had the first comments been "Hey, I've got "x" amount of track days, with "x" setup, and I haven't found a need for these things, let's compare notes", this would have gone MUCH differently. Instead, I get a bunch of internet-know-it-alls. Look at this thread. We're 21 posts in, and not one iota of technical data has been shared.
Funny for you to offer this observation while just a few posts above you said this:

"I'm not here asking for your help in determining what I need, and what I don't need. I already know what I need."

But the main thing is this: youve messed with a near perfect car and now it oversteers. No it is not due to "skinny" tires as folks here run slicks on 10 inch rims on stock cars. It is also not due to lower weight as that in itself wont produce oversteer. Youve simply messed up a well balanced car.

And now youve convinced yourself that aero will fix it.

But be careful as aero only works its magic in fast corners and you still need well balanced mechanical grip for slower ones. So...really...you actually do not know what you need.

Now back to my questions please
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #31
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Guys bear in mind there are 1LE owners who have deeper pockets than some of us. I am friends with a guy on FB who has probably dumped close to what the 1LE costs new in as much CF parts as possible and in other mods.

As of now his reward is he is sitting around 3520lbs with custom MRC shocks and a custom calibrated DSC controller. This owner is at the track about 3 out of 4 weekends that I see as I follow his posts.

I can see the need for his research as well, the reason the new ZR1 mounts the high profile spoiler to the actual chassis is to allow greater application of downforce on the rear of the car. Something a trunk mounted spoiler cant accomplish which may be the same issue the OP Camaro will run into when he starts looking for more downforce than what even the ZL1-1LE high mount spoiler puts down.
What a waste of money and future value. Trans Am TA4 fits the bill, is proper race car, has full safety, is damn fast and costs little (as race cars go) to maintain and run.

Ps WHY on earth would OP need more downforce than zl1 1le? HOW would he determine this? In what wind tunnel?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #32
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Funny for you to offer this observation while just a few posts above you said this:

"I'm not here asking for your help in determining what I need, and what I don't need. I already know what I need."

But the main thing is this: youve messed with a near perfect car and now it oversteers. No it is not due to "skinny" tires as folks here run slicks on 10 inch rims on stock cars. It is also not due to lower weight as that in itself wont produce oversteer. Youve simply messed up a well balanced car.

And now youve convinced yourself that aero will fix it.

But be careful as aero only works its magic in fast corners and you still need well balanced mechanical grip for slower ones. So...really...you actually do not know what you need.

Now back to my questions please

1) how did you reduce weight by "a few hundred pounds"? Did you chop the roof off? Not my car, so I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it had a titanium exhaust, 18x10 forged wheels, 275/35 RS4s, AC/Heater delete, a Lithium Ion battery, plus the usual tool/spare removed. I believe he said the weight was just south of 3600 pounds wet.
2) how long did you drive a 1le and at what ambient before oil started to overheat? I noticed issues particularly at Road Atlanta, where I drive the most, and track temps can reach 100+ easily, I noticed overheating by the 4th or 5th hot lap in the early afternoon sessions
Okay, for the sake of not sounding like a complete douche (if that's even possible at this point), I'll correct myself and say "I know what I think I need".

Plenty of people competing in TT2 have done very similar weight and suspension modifications, and are placing respectably. I don't think that's the issue. It could be, but I don't think it is. In my experience, aero is the go-to fix for oversteer in corners, but this is my first foray into big V8s. I have been in the community for awhile, and I've noticed that modified Camaros (of all generations) are much few and further between than modified examples of other makes/models. What I want to know, is why. What have you guys tried, and decided wasn't an improvement?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #33
TrackClub

Quote:
I'm going to bring this back on topic, because you're finally getting at what I want the answer to.

WHY? Why leave it stock? What has been experimented with to such terrible results to make you (and anyone else) think that the stock form was better? All I am seeing is a bunch of people who say "The car is great in stock form, why change anything?" And that's narrow-minded. There is ALWAYS room for improvement, especially in a $40,000, non-race-spec car. What I want to know, is what aero have people used, and found to be a downgrade from stock? That's the whole point of my post!

Oh...i am finally gettin it eh? Hehehe

Why dont we bring it back to what YOU posted here vs avoiding giving answers to my questions instead.

Unless you want folks to think that what you post is BS.
In which case this is a hoax. Sort of. Just like you being a test race car driver - sort of.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #34
APEXHNTR

Quote:
What a waste of money and future value. Trans Am TA4 fits the bill, is proper race car, has full safety, is damn fast and costs little (as race cars go) to maintain and run.

Ps WHY on earth would OP need more downforce than zl1 1le? HOW would he determine this? In what wind tunnel?
I have no concern about future value. This car will be caged and stripped eventually, it will never be sold as anything other than a racecar.

Also, I'm not sure what you're basing your qualification for "needing" downforce on...look at time trial cars. They have MASSIVE wings, splitter, what makes them "need" more downforce?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #35
APEXHNTR

Quote:
Oh...i am finally gettin it eh? Hehehe

Why dont we bring it back to what YOU posted here vs avoiding giving answers to my questions instead.

Unless you want folks to think that what you post is BS.
In which case this is a hoax. Sort of. Just like you being a test race car driver - sort of.
I answered your questions in my last comment....in bright red, bold font....calm down.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #36
TrackClub

Quote:
I answered your questions in my last comment....in bright red, bold font....calm down.
I will calm down as soon as you start being factual with what you posts. Tone down the bs please. Reducing weight by approx 100lb is not even remotely close to "a few hundred pounds".

Is it the same with having spent 200 hrs driving 3 different 1LE s in one season?

Or being "extremely accomplished"?

For goodness sake dude i know 3 pro guys who have won LeMans and Rolex 24 and none of them would even dare describe themselves as such.

My advice (sincerely) to you is this:
1) be humble
2) dont exaggerate
3) ask your questions on a racing series forum that runs Camaros. Scca nasa etc. I am sure those guys will be happy to help ya out.

Peace.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #37
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
TrackClub is a troll.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #38
TrackClub

Quote:
I have no concern about future value. This car will be caged and stripped eventually, it will never be sold as anything other than a racecar.

Also, I'm not sure what you're basing your qualification for "needing" downforce on...look at time trial cars. They have MASSIVE wings, splitter, what makes them "need" more downforce?
And look at Nascar stock cars and trucks which have less aero than most factory sports cars yet corner at 180mph while racing just inches away from each other
As i had mentioned before, aero will not fix your mechanical grip imbalance.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #39
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
TrackClub is a troll.
Thanks for the humour Chris
Old 04-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #40
Oldfart

Drives: Silverado, V-70 R
This thread makes Oldfart laugh.
Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:49 PM   #41
APEXHNTR

Quote:
And look at Nascar stock cars and trucks which have less aero than most factory sports cars yet corner at 180mph while racing just inches away from each other
As i had mentioned before, aero will not fix your mechanical grip imbalance.
On massive slicks....and if you can seriously put a Nascar oval "turn" in the same category as the carousel at Road America, then you should really consider changing your username...
Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 PM   #42
TrackClub

Quote:
On massive slicks....and if you can seriously put a Nascar oval "turn" in the same category as the carousel at Road America, then you should really consider changing your username...
Not at all the same. A NASCAR oval turn even with banking at 180 would be a much more serious biz vs Rd America carousel. And some oval turns dont have generous banking at all yet speeds are very high.

But keep in mind they also run those cars at the Glen and Sonoma and trucks at Mosport. Check their lap times. You may be surprised. As to "massive" slicks...they are anything but and equal about a 295 street tire. Pretty much a Camaro category size wise. And a far cry from many other street cars.

If i were you id fix the mechanical grip imbalance first then seek advice re additional aero on racing series forums that youre planning on running. Good luck and have fun racing Camaros!