Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
2016 ss starts slow sometimes, battery voltage issue.

So my 2016 ss was starting slow sometimes and the voltage gage on my car would read about 12 to 13 when driving, sometimes down to 12. I took it to autozone and they said my batter was below 60 percent so I replaced it. They didn't have the battrry i needed so Walmart had it and installed it. After that voltage read 14 to 14 5 at the center of the gauge. Today it once again its back to reading 12 to 13 while driving.

Could this be the alternator? Autozone said alternator wasn't the problem. Went to Walmart today. They don't have an alternator test but said the new battery was still good.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
1ssa_camaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1ss A8
I had the same problem on my car with about 7-8k miles. Turned on normally in the morning, drove around for a bit, turned the car back on and started to get the slow starting problem. Took it to the dealer, they said it was the battery so they ended up replacing it. Many people have had this problem with their camaro's. I would take it to the dealer and have them replace the starter or alternator since you already replaced the battery.
1ssa_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ssa_camaro View Post
I had the same problem on my car with about 7-8k miles. Turned on normally in the morning, drove around for a bit, turned the car back on and started to get the slow starting problem. Took it to the dealer, they said it was the battery so they ended up replacing it. Many people have had this problem with their camaro's. I would take it to the dealer and have them replace the starter or alternator since you already replaced the battery.
Not under warranty anymore so what about just a regular shop. I bought it used from a Honda dealer back in sept. I'd doubt they would cover half the cost. What does a starter and alternator run for these camaros?
Old 11-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
The alternator in these cars are controlled by the PCM. It adjusts the voltage output as needed. It is normal for the gauge to read 12v if the system senses it does not need charging at that moment. What you see is normal for the car. it's not the 60's anymore. The PCM(Power Control Module) controls all the power in the vehicle.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
The alternator in these cars are controlled by the PCM. It adjusts the voltage output as needed. It is normal for the gauge to read 12v if the system senses it does not need charging at that moment. What you see is normal for the car. it's not the 60's anymore. The PCM(Power Control Module) controls all the power in the vehicle.
So when the battery was disconnected at Walmart it read 14 yesterday because the battery was disconnected possible and the car sensed it needs more charging?
Old 11-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Sorry to hear this but you have now joined the "I have a slow cranking car when the engine is fully warmed up and I try to start it again after a short stop" club. I have been there since after about one year. Just before warranty expired I took it in and the dealership's answer was to replace the battery. That kicked the can down the street for about one year land I'm now back in the club. It's the starter. It gets heat soaked. Not an unusual problem on a 16-17 SS.

I just avoid short stops as a coping mechanism for now. My next step is to replace the starter. The original starter part number is no longer in production. The new part number is 12691976. I priced it at gmpartsdirect.com at $136.00. I'm hoping the new part number means a better designed starter that resists heat soak.

Good luck!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Sorry to hear this but you have now joined the "I have a slow cranking car when the engine is fully warmed up and I try to start it again after a short stop" club. I have been there since after about one year. Just before warranty expired I took it in and the dealership's answer was to replace the battery. That kicked the can down the street for about one year land I'm now back in the club. It's the starter. It gets heat soaked. Not an unusual problem on a 16-17 SS.

I just avoid short stops as a coping mechanism for now. My next step is to replace the starter. The original starter part number is no longer in production. The new part number is 12691976. I priced it at gmpartsdirect.com at $136.00. I'm hoping the new part number means a better designed starter that resists heat soak.

Good luck!

Usually it's only when the car is sitting for a day or two it starts up slow. If I go somewhere like the store or work and come out later it starts up fine.

Maybe I should start driving this thing daily as my mom said lol.

Wal-mart has a 4 year warranty on this battery. Being it's Southwest FL there is no way my battery is going to last nearly that long.

Things wear out fast on cars here in southwest FL. Tires especially I don't get the life on them like I did up in St. Louis.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:07 PM   #8
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post

Wal-mart has a 4 year warranty on this battery. Being it's Southwest FL there is no way my battery is going to last nearly that long.

Things wear out fast on cars here in southwest FL. Tires especially I don't get the life on them like I did up in St. Louis.

Not much better here in Orlando.

Batteries die quick in the heat. 2 years is about average. My car, my wife's Honda, etc.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #9
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Not much better here in Orlando.

Batteries die quick in the heat. 2 years is about average. My car, my wife's Honda, etc.

Yep. Right before Irma hit our Sonata battery started cranking up slow and was about shot. Luckily Autozone was still open a few days before because we ended up leaving. North FL you will get a bit better life on stuff because it's cooler, but Orlando on south here in Florida has a totally different climate.

Cars in general don't seem to last as long down here. When I was younger the 3 other used cars I bought here in FL didn't last long at all before having all sorts of issues, wear, headliner falling down, etc. Here in FL I would be very careful when buying a used car, especially more than 4 years old.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
In my opinion, a slow cranking starter can't discharge a battery continuously. Once you get going, the alternator should recharge the battery and the voltmeter should show about 14 V indicating this is happening.

slow crank with a car reading battery voltage 12-13 while driving means battery not charging. the slow crank is probably because the battery is dropping to 10-11 V under the load of starting.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
After that voltage read 14 to 14 5 at the center of the gauge. Today it once again its back to reading 12 to 13 while driving.
But are you still having issues with the car starting?
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:42 PM   #12
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
But are you still having issues with the car starting?
Today when I started it to put it in the garage since I'm out of town for 2 days it started just fine not very sluggish.

I will say on YouTube when I watch videos of people doing videos on vettes and camaros a number Of them start a bit slow on these newer keyless ones.

Could it possibly be the technology with these keyless cars that is to blame?
Old 11-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #13
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Did you replace it with a battery with the same amount of Cold Crank Amps. There is a difference in batteries. Seeing how many heat soaked posts over the years I would also wrap the starter in heat shield. Most electrical systems will charge at 14 volts and maintain at 12.5. Is there a slow drain on the battery, I would quit guessing and see if you have an open circuit drawing power. And by the way and good shop with a battery tester also can test the alternator. I can do it on an inexpensive OBD code reader.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote