Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
Lifetaken

Drives: 2018 SS Camaro 1LE
Transmission Fluid Change = Void Warranty?

Hey guys, I've done a bit of searching but can't seem to find anything concrete, and I don't have access to my manual ATM. The question is bugging me so instead of waiting I figured I'd ask here

I have a 2018 SS 1LE (4500 miles) and my 1-2 shifts were/are a bit rough in terms of being clunky/notchy. I read almost everywhere on all forums that changing the transmission fluid would make a world of difference in the smoothness of the transmission and make it shift "like butter". I decided to swap the stock fluid for some Royal Purple Synchromax which people swore by left and right.

Unfortunately for me, it didn't seem to make any difference in the problem with shifting from 1-2. I was able to put about 3.6L of fluid in (following GM instructions on fluid replacement), but perhaps I didn't put enough in? I am going to get it on a lift again ASAP and check. Aside from 1-2, all upshifts/downshifts in/out of the other gears are fine as they were before. Temps don't appear to rise above 110ish after spirited/hard driving.

Anyway, does changing the transmission fluid to RP Synchromax void the warranty for any transmission-related issues? I'd assume it does but I'm not sure. Perhaps it's dealer-dependent? At this point, if I can get it on a lift and confirm I put enough fluid in, I think the next stop will be the dealer.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter to me if it's under warranty or not, because I'd still like to get it fixed. I just would like to know if I am looking spending a couple grand on a repair before I take it in
Lifetaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yes and no i run all oem fluids except brake fluid motul 660 and oil torco sr1 5w40
Old 10-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
If RP meets the OEM specs then it shouldn’t cause GM to deny a warranty claim.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
Lifetaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
If RP meets the OEM specs then it shouldn’t cause GM to deny a warranty claim.
I'd have to assume it does, or is somewhat close. I'd need to check. According to this spreadsheet from Royal Purple, Synchromax is their recommended replacement for GM 88861800 which is what is used in our vehicles.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Drain it and go back to factory. Run that awhile and do a fresh change and then bring it in to the dealer if it worries you.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:56 PM   #6
Thechef1981

Drives: 2018 camaro ss 1le
Talking

Yes it will!!! The only fluid GM and tremec certify and advise you use, if your not using the cottonseed oil AC Delco brand, is Mobil 1 ATF dexron 3 weight, don’t use anything else. The tremecs gears are made of soft metals such as brass and copper and if you use the wrong fluid with some patent additive it could eat away the teeth on the synchros in the the transmission. Also if something goes wrong and a dealer sees your transmission fluid is purple, instant void of warranty!!
Thechef1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
Thechef1981

Drives: 2018 camaro ss 1le
I spoke to an engineer at tremec and they DO NOT and never have tested royal purple in there transmissions. He very clearly stated the only Fluid to use if not the dealers is Mobil 1 ATF dexron lll weight
Thechef1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Used their fluids on other vehicles and only had problems afterwards, so since then I never even consider using anything from RP.
Flush it out and refill with GM trans fluid or the correct Mobil 1 ATF
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Tremec has their own fluid for our manual trans as well
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #10
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
RP and Amsoil....snake oil IMHO....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #11
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
According to TREMEC themself, TR-6060 needs a Dexron III ATF. Anything that meets this specification should be good.

https://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_TR-6060_1017.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechef1981 View Post
Yes it will!!! The only fluid GM and tremec certify and advise you use, if your not using the cottonseed oil AC Delco brand, is Mobil 1 ATF dexron 3 weight, don’t use anything else. The tremecs gears are made of soft metals such as brass and copper and if you use the wrong fluid with some patent additive it could eat away the teeth on the synchros in the the transmission. Also if something goes wrong and a dealer sees your transmission fluid is purple, instant void of warranty!!
Every modern manual transmission has brass in it. Synchros are made of brass. I have never heard of anyone making actual gears in the transmission with brass or copper. It's as stupid as it sounds.

As for the warranty, I think it will probably depend on your dealer just like with a lot of mods. Worst comes worst, get some OEM fluid and change it out if you have issues. A bit scummy, I know, but I doubt you'd have issues with any proper fluid to begin with assuming you don't suck at driving a manual.

BTW I don't like RP but Amsoil seems okay. I used it in my beater Accord 5-speed before and it shifted butter smooth(in -20F/-30C, I might add) and got rid of the occasional 3rd gear grind I had with the old fluid. Using the Signature Multi ATF now myself and I don't have any issues with it so far, though I don't think it made a huge difference compared to OEM.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #12
Lifetaken

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll end up emptying it out and going back to stock fluid ASAP.