Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Jaystroh

Drives: Camaro RS 2LT
Weird flange in new exhaust tips?

So I’m gonna mount these quad tips in place of my single tip but I just wondered for those that have done a tip switch or used aftermarket tips if this circular flange Inside will change the sound? I’m pretty sure it was to split the flow of exhaust to each side which is fine but I didn’t want it to effect the tone? Wondered if I should leave it or cut it out? Or if it matters either way. I posted on the Facebook page but didn’t get any info at all. Let me know your thoughts thanks much!
Attached Images

Jaystroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
I've never seen that before, that's just weird. I personally would think it would make a different sound but no expert on this.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
That's interesting
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Jaystroh

Yea that’s what I was wondering as well. It’s no big deal to just cut it out but I def was confused by it. Lol
Old 11-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would say Jay that it’s there for a purpose. If you can reach out to the company that made them to ask what purpose does the valve have and if you can remove it for a different sound. Good luck!��
Old 11-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
Jaystroh

If you look real close there’s actually welds on the circle parts base like it was installed after the fact which would make me think it was for sound or something?
Old 11-13-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
What brand are these?
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
Jaystroh

Yea I reached out to the seller but they don’t seem to know
Much. Just a wholesale type place so yea.. :( I might have a local exhaust fabricator take a look before I do anything. just wondered if anyone in here had seen this before.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #9
Jaystroh

No name brand haha! Lab work was the name on the slip but I couldn’t really find anything with that company as far as contact. I just messaged the seller but they couldn’t help much.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #10
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
It's there to divert the exhaust to the other tip. Most likely so that the amount of exhaust to each tip is even.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #11
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
It's there to divert the exhaust to the other tip. Most likely so that the amount of exhaust to each tip is even.
This is logical
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #12
Jaystroh

Yea that’s what I figured it was for but just wondered if it would change the tone by restricting flow? Not sure if it’s big enough to do that or not.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Not sure of its intended purpose, but it will definitely affect the sound. Put a solid object in a tube and sound travelling through that tube will experience primarily reflection and diffraction. Absorption and refraction will be far lesser issues because this is a steel wall.
Reflected sound will end up in the adjacent tube as well as the primary tube. The diffracted and reflected waves emitted from the primary tube will affect the amplitude and frequency of what would have come out with no steel wall. You also get the impact of the slightly delayed, reflected waves coming out of the secondary tube.

What you think of all this is a matter of taste.
If I had to guess, the overall effect will be less "droning" and more "complex," as you get tonal variations with changes at different frequencies and amplitudes.
Because you have the other tube, there will be no real restrictive effect on exhaust flow at the velocities and pressures associated with car exhaust.

One other thing. Putting that wall there cost them money. It would be cheaper to make with no "wall." I'm guessing they didn't like how it sounded without the "wall."
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
Jaystroh

Awesome appreciate all the info! I think I’m gonna give it a listen with it in there and then if it sounds strange I’ll just cut it out. like you said they made the effort to install it so maybe it might sound good. Worth a try. the tips weren’t suggested for any specific vehicle or setup so not sure what they were testing with that set up. thanks again for the info.