Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 10-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Jump on this deal or wait a year?

Here's my dilemma. I have 15 months left of my wife's Q60S lease but may have an opportunity to get $14k off of a 2016 2SS. The total amount left on my wife's lease to pay is $5,600 over the next 14 months. Do I wait and hope for this type of sale next year or purchase now and eat $5,600. That's still $8,400 off MSRP taking into consideration the loss on the Q60 lease. What are the chances of 20% happening late next year on 2017 models? Taking a loss of $800 next October sounds better than $5,600 now.

To answer a few possible question, the lease books out way lower than trade value so not worth trading it in instead, and I do have the option to at least try to find someone to take over the lease terms (that is allowed through Infiniti Financial) so there is a chance I can recoup the loss by transferring the lease.

Thoughts? Wait and hope or jump on a great deal which ends up being $8,400 off of I take into consideration the lease difference.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
All depends on if the Camaro's take off in sales or not. Right now sales are way up due in large part to the 16% & 20% off deals. I'd venture to say you can expect to see at least 15% around this time next year but it's all a guessing game.
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
We were in a similar situation. My wife had a toyota prius lease and she hated driving that car. When Jeep had 7000 off sale on wrangler rubicons we still had 8 months left on our lease. I didn't want to pass up the great deal so we got creative.

We took the prius to car max to see what they would offer and if it was better to sell it to them for cash, or just keep it for 8 more months. They paid us over the payoff value and instead of paying for 8 more months we had to pay for about 3 months out of pocket to get out of it. I'm just guessing and I could be looking at this wrong , but I think we saved 5 months of payments and insurance and another years registration.

If we kept it with insurance registration lease payment it would have cost about $2000 -$2500 to keep it and ride out the lease. We ended up selling the car to car max and giving them a check for 800 dollars . In the end , we cut our losses, but we still probably saved $1200 - $1700 dollars compared to keeping it. And we got the deal of a lifetime on a loaded 4 door rubicon.

I just bought a loaded 2ss for 13k off msrp 47k I payed 34k. Amazing car for the money. I sold my track miata last night and took a 2k loss. But the deal on the 2SS more than makes up for it.

Try car max. They do lease buy outs all the time, they take care of all the paperwork and pay it off for you, it only takes 40 minutes for the appraisal ( which used to be more $$ than dealers give you, not sure about now days, that was 2 years ago) and they give you a week to think about it. Then go home and do the math. Every car is different, for some cars it works, others it doesn't.

It worked for us.

Last edited by NCSD; 10-13-2016 at 09:53 AM.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

That Carmax idea is a great idea. It doesn't hurt to take it by them. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Overall industry sales have peaked and we are on the down slope. I think we will see similar good deals all next year as manufacturers try to keep sales up.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
That Carmax idea is a great idea. It doesn't hurt to take it by them. Thanks for the tip.
Do let us know how it turned out.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Some dealers will match or beat what CarMax offers you. They did the match on my G35, which gave me $1000 more than they were originally offering me. Plus the tax savings we get for trade-in allowance.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #8
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
Nice angle, I didn't think of that. Most dealers try to lowball you at first, but if you have a quote from Carmax they'll sharpen their pencils. There you go you just made another $1000 dollars in saved taxes.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

I decided to go for it. I haven't taken the Infiniti into carmax yet to see what they might give me for it. Thanks for the tips all!
Old 10-14-2016, 12:20 AM   #10
kasperdsmk

Drives: Hopeful 2017 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I decided to go for it. I haven't taken the Infiniti into carmax yet to see what they might give me for it. Thanks for the tips all!
I would wait... I promise you the 20% off will be there this time next year. Save your money
kasperdsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #11
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperdsmk View Post
I would wait... I promise you the 20% off will be there this time next year. Save your money
It's really not saving money any way you slice it up. If I buy in 1 year I'll still have made all of the lease payments. I just won't have double payments (Infiniti and Camaro) until I buy. Sure I'll have a 1 year newer Camaro but there's no difference in the 16 to the 17 and on a long enough timeline (I'm planning on keeping it for a long time) the 1 year difference won't mean much in resale. My wife (The Camaro is for her) puts about 5,000 miles per year on her car so the mileage won't be that much higher than holding off a year when I sell it in the future also which will help with depreciation as well.

By buying a year earlier I'll just have it paid off a year earlier. And I can afford the double payments or the lump some payoff of the Infiniti lease. Either way, it comes out to the same in the end. Plus new car rates are slightly creeping up so there's that to. Even .5% can add up.

So I'm happy with my decision. Thanks all.