Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-03-2024, 11:00 AM   #1
Chris Durant

Drives: 2023 Vivid Orange Camaro 1LT
Emergency Tire Repair Kit ?

Hello to all, loving my 2023 Camaro and finally replacing the somewhat hated Run Flats. I may have made an error here, but even though I should not have purchased now, the tires are constantly on my mind, so I worked out a deal for 4 new non run flats that I like after all my research, there not what most of you would have purchased but they get much better ratings than these Goodyears on ride, noise, and more and they will look nice on the car to me. I should not really be spending this money after some recent medical things, I am getting old, young at heart but old in body :-) But I did work out 90 days same as cash, so will try to pay off before 90.

My error was not thinking about if I get a flat, no spare tire in these puppies, someone posted a descent emergency repair kit they got on Amazon and a lot of others seem to also think it was very good alternative, but I can not find the post with the link or info, the search keeps failing ? I searched on my own but nothing looks like what I thought I remembered. It was compact and and in a nice case. Any links or opinions or ideas, and wish me luck that the new tires are overall worth the money. Just looking to eliminate the only thing always on my mind when I drive this beautiful car. Thanks
Chris Durant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:19 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
What tires did you buy, Chris? No shame in not buying the most expensive things. Most normal tires will have much less road noise than the stock Goodyear runflats whose wet performance, hm, also leaves a lot to be desired if I want to be polite.

As to unexpected tire failure with non-runflats, my real solution is a tow truck. I do have a Slime kit in the trunk, but that goop messes everything up (it's in the name, heh), so I'd only resort to it if I'm in the mountains or some remote area with no cell phone coverage, which rarely happens.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 01-03-2024 at 07:00 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:40 PM   #3
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
I usually just plug my tires. I keep a kit in all my cars.

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:29 PM   #4
Chris Durant

Drives: 2023 Vivid Orange Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
What tires did you buy, Chris? No shame in not buying the most expensive things. Most normal tires will have much less road noise than the stock Goodyear runflats, whose wet performance, hm, also leaves a lot to be desired if I want to be polite.

As to unexpected tire failure with non-runflats, my real solution is a tow truck. I do have a Slime kit in the trunk, but that goop messes everything up (it's in the name, heh), so I'd only resort to it if I'm in the mountains or some remote area with no cell phone coverage, which rarely happens.
I got these, Firestone - Firehawk AS V2 245/40R20 99W XL

Looking forward to feeling better about the tires :-) and hopefully I notice a difference.
Chris Durant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:33 AM   #5
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
This AirMan ResQ Pro+ Tire Repair Kit, available on Amazon, is actually standard equipment on many new cars, substituting for a spare tire:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits perfectly into the compartment that GM designed into the trunk of the Camaro, underneath the liftable trunk floor.

I bought one last September.

It is also available as a GM accessory item at dealerships, but costs more there than on Amazon.

Note the link I provided is for the Canadian Amazon site, but the U.S. site has it also, and it costs less in U.S. dollars.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:13 AM   #6
Ray3768

Drives: 1977 Trans Am, 2024 Camaro 2SS
Another option would be an actual spare tire:

https://modernspare.com/product/2016...including-zl1/

I'm not sure if this will fit in the trunk well or reside in the actual trunk. They state that the spare tire has a 26.5" rolling diameter. If this is not the exact same rolling diameter as your rear tires I would be hesitant to put the spare on the rear since that would place the differential in constant slip and burn up the posi clutches. If the Camaro wheel offsets are such that you can run a front tire on the rear, then if you had a flat rear tire you could swap a front tire to the rear and put the spare up front. I'm thinking this would be a supreme PITA on the side of the road with only one jack.

-Ray
Ray3768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:30 AM   #7
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3768 View Post
Another option would be an actual spare tire:

https://modernspare.com/product/2016...including-zl1/

I'm not sure if this will fit in the trunk well or reside in the actual trunk. They state that the spare tire has a 26.5" rolling diameter. If this is not the exact same rolling diameter as your rear tires I would be hesitant to put the spare on the rear since that would place the differential in constant slip and burn up the posi clutches. If the Camaro wheel offsets are such that you can run a front tire on the rear, then if you had a flat rear tire you could swap a front tire to the rear and put the spare up front. I'm thinking this would be a supreme PITA on the side of the road with only one jack.

-Ray
Note also that this spare tire is WAY more costly than the emergency inflator, along with the obvious space problem and tire diameter/rear diff issue. It just doesn't sound like much of a "solution".

It also represents the OLD way to address the problem: that's how the OEM manufacturers USED to try to address the spare tire issue, before they discovered that a 12 volt inflator kit represents a more practical solution for the vast majority of potential tire air losses: Tire air losses are rare these days, and unrepairable punctures and blowouts are even more rare.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote