#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #99
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
nothing official but you can connect the tealeaves like Hotlap and others have done.

the biggest key is just look at what GM is planning for the future. Cadillac is going full electric. they are going to be the first of GM's brands to do so. For camaro to exist it needs something to share a platform with. So unless the electric versions of CT4/5 replacement are on Alpha I would expect camaro to ride off into the sunset or transition to EV
Thing that I've been wondering about is GMs "commitment to 30 new global electric vehicles by 2025".

Have any been seen out testing in camouflage?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #100
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Thing that I've been wondering about is GMs "commitment to 30 new global electric vehicles by 2025".

Also true, nothing that I have seen
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #101
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

I think GLOBAL is the key, Europe and parts of Asia pushing way harder than here! 25 global is not a huge number, and majority not necessarily here in the US or even NA.....except maybe CA lol
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #102
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Possibly, but replace the top end Camaro with a vehicle that would be more expensive and probably not perform as well? Doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me.
They need to try something. The current strategy is a great way to kill the Camaro.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #103
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I don't know, but I have a commitment to hold off on EVs as long as I can.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #104
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
They need to try something. The current strategy is a great way to kill the Camaro.
Yeah it would be nice to see them inject some life into it, but with the benefit of hindsight. Their choice to build a car that caters to the enthusiast is what will kill the camaro
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 07-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #105
hotlap

Quote:
Possibly, but replace the top end Camaro with a vehicle that would be more expensive and probably not perform as well? Doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me.
GT350 => Mach 1

Didn't stop Ford

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #106
shaffe

Quote:
GT350 => Mach 1

Didn't stop Ford
1. I swear I almost put in that post that would be something Ford would do lol.

2. We can argue semantics if you want lol, but The mach 1 really isn't a replacement for the GT350 because it's also replacing Bullitt. Also the 2020 GT350 started at 61K where as the Mach 1 starts at 54. Yes it can be optioned past the GT350 starting price but it does cost less than the GT350 did. Even the Mach 1 premium with handling package starts at less than the GT350 by about 800 bucks lol. So not entirely apples to apples but I get your point that it is worse performing but at the same time it also does cost less
Old 07-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #107
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Aren't you just suggesting an SS w/ 1LE package?

For an engine, you are certifying the model, not the engine. Even the SAE HP requires correct intake and exhaust if I recall correctly.

There are still costs to calibrate the engine in the model as well. A lighter, more aerodynamic Corvette with a completely different transmission is a completely different calibration.

From what I was told several years ago it's not a huge cost to put an engine in with a common block. That can maintain engine mounts and packaging.

But change the mass up front, lighter or heavier and you are also doing chassis calibration as well.

Change the HP and or add a SC/Turbo, more calibration.

And more HP requires durability, and if the HP is above what is available it's more than just engine on a dyno.

There are a ton of little complexities to putting a new engine in an existing model.

As for a NA engine above an LT1, well that was LT2 but designed for the C8 and that was a nice 40 HP bump. But from what I've read, that engine doesn't package as is in the Camaro and that's, you guest correctly, more engineers time and money not going to EVs

I think if they just rebadged the ZL1 1LE as a Z/28 this place would explode and I doubt Reuss would ever approve such a thing as it was his idea to change the Z/28 to ZL1 on the Gen5 in the first place.
What I am saying is that, in respect to 2022MY available equipment, for a "what-could-be" "Z/28" is just an engine and front fascia away: For 2022, you can order a SS 1LE with ZL1 brakes. Change the front fascia to something "special" for a "Z/28", put neat badging on it, utilize the LT2* (really an LT1 with LT2 upgrades*). Maybe offer the next gen PDR in that car. Z/28 cues in the car interior (half-leather-half-alcantara steering wheel, half-leather-half-alcantara shift knob, ZL1-like interior, but with "Z/28" in the seats, maybe offer a version of the Blackwing Recaros for the harness-through capability).

*What is the LT2, really? It's and LT1, with it's block modified to attach into the C8, a small change in cam profile, different exhaust manifolds/headers, a different intake and dry-sump. Really, when you break it down, the LT2 is just, for the 99.9% of it, an LT1 with a better intake, headers and tune (that's where the bulk of the power upgrades come from). You could still have the LT2 in the Camaro, and call it the "LT2" (or call it "LT3" for all it's worth), just it being the Camaro version, as, really it just comes down to the attachment points.

Last edited by Mountain; 07-14-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #108
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
What I am saying is that, in respect to 2022MY available equipment, for a "what-could-be" "Z/28" is just an engine and front fascia away: For 2022, you can order a SS 1LE with ZL1 brakes. Change the front fascia to something "special" for a "Z/28", put neat badging on it, utilize the LT2* (really an LT1 with LT2 upgrades*). Maybe offer the next gen PDR in that car. Z/28 cues in the car interior (half-leather-half-alcantara steering wheel, half-leather-half-alcantara shift knob, ZL1-like interior, but with "Z/28" in the seats, maybe offer a version of the Blackwing Recaros for the harness-through capability).

*What is the LT2, really? It's and LT1, with it's block modified to attach into the C8, a small change in cam profile, different exhaust manifolds/headers, a different intake and dry-sump. Really, when you break it down, the LT2 is just, for the 99.9% of it, an LT1 with a better intake, headers and tune (that's where the bulk of the power upgrades come from). You could still have the LT2 in the Camaro, and call it the "LT2" (or call it "LT3" for all it's worth), just it being the Camaro version, as, really it just comes down to the attachment points.
I'd bet that the LT2 for the Camaro was started and then shelved with the Alpha2/gen7.

GM is going 100% BEV ...because that is the way of the future ...even though its 2% of the current market.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #109

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
I think GLOBAL is the key, Europe and parts of Asia pushing way harder than here! 25 global is not a huge number, and majority not necessarily here in the US or even NA.....except maybe CA lol
I've been asking this for months...and only get crickets...But here's where the statement came from...:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/04...icles-in-2035/

"GM, which currently only offers one electric model in the way of the Chevy Bolt EV, will have 30 EVs on sale globally by 2025. More than two thirds of these EV models will be available in North America and will span the automaker’s Cadillac, GMC, Chevrolet and Buick brands. It also promises to offer EVs “at all price points for work, adventure, performance and family use,” in this timeframe."

Been asking this for a while...:

GM promised 30 new EVs for sale worldwide by 2025...with 2/3s, around 20 models for sale in the US by 2025. That's three and a half years from now......So far there is a Bolt, and a soon to be Hummer, and Lyriq....That's at least three down, 17 more to go for the U.S. The Hummer and Lyriq were made known at least a year or so before being sold, so time is running short for the balance of the US model EVs from GM.

The floodgates should be opening soon, perhaps one of those will be a Camaro. The Ultium Mother of all platforms should become very prolific soon....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #110
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHerna View Post
What reporting are you expecting?
Something other than 1 bearded, drama queen journalist with an unnamed source. No other venues have backed it enough to report on it as well... meaning, there's not enough factual evidence to support it (IMO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Based on how there is 0 coverage from the press or GM on any Camaro, safe to say - the coffin is being nailed in one by one.

This is a case of them simply producing cars for 2 reasons - UAW term + Cadillac ATS/CTS production.
Being optimistic (or naive)... no news is good news.

Quote:
nothing official but you can connect the tealeaves like Hotlap and others have done.

the biggest key is just look at what GM is planning for the future. Cadillac is going full electric. they are going to be the first of GM's brands to do so. For camaro to exist it needs something to share a platform with. So unless the electric versions of CT4/5 replacement are on Alpha I would expect camaro to ride off into the sunset or transition to EV
I can't see GM fully backing out the performance segment. Leaving some sort of manual transmission vehicle is needed. Vette is spoken for as DCT only. Camaro or new vehicle needed to hold down the manual transmission GM platform. Especially with all the racing sanctions they're a part of.

ALSO... no way there's enough infrastructure in the is country for EV vehicles to become mainstream for the masses... even within the next 10 yrs.
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #111
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
Something other than 1 bearded, drama queen journalist with an unnamed source. No other venues have backed it enough to report on it as well... meaning, there's not enough factual evidence to support it (IMO)

Being optimistic (or naive)... no news is good news.

I can't see GM fully backing out the performance segment. Leaving some sort of manual transmission vehicle is needed. Vette is spoken for as DCT only. Camaro or new vehicle needed to hold down the manual transmission GM platform. Especially with all the racing sanctions they're a part of.

ALSO... no way there's enough infrastructure in the is country for EV vehicles to become mainstream for the masses... even with then next 10 yrs.
I agree, but have to read the tea leaves. Of the announced products, there is no platform for Camaro to share with coming up in the future. If the camaro was to continue on it's own platform would need to have much more mass appeal than it does now.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #112
CHerna

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
ALSO... no way there's enough infrastructure in the is country for EV vehicles to become mainstream for the masses... even within the next 10 yrs.
That's a common misconception. The grid is realistically scalable to handle EV adoption. Engineering Explained covers this well in this video.

https://youtu.be/7dfyG6FXsUU

Previous: Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote