Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #15
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
It still varies A LOT from car to car. I drive mine really hard frequently drag racing, autocross, etc & have NEVER burned a single drop of oil. Just weird.

The fact that your car does not use oil gives me cause for further concern. My car is still running perfectly though. I am not used to a car consuming oil. Have had several Japanese cars and they never used any oil.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #16
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
One would think that a quart of oil in just a few hundred miles would mean leaving a trail of smoke or oil spots. Mine is 1/2qt low at 2500 miles and probably half of that was thrown out from my catch can.

Yeah, you would think huh? But there have been a number of documented cases of LLT Camaros suddenly having virtually no oil & no evidence anywhere of where it went or how it disappeared. It makes absolutely no sense.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #17
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Yeah, you would think huh? But there have been a number of documented cases of LLT Camaros suddenly having virtually no oil & no evidence anywhere of where it went or how it disappeared. It makes absolutely no sense.
It would have to go out through the cats... I've seen some 2.4's fill the cats with oil when oil changes are neglected or the wrong oil is used. The chain has hydraulic tensioners, but even if they start to have issues from sludge it makes them noisy but doesn't make them skip time or anything. Haven't seen an LLT or LFX with that issue yet- except I'm sure the neglected ones will be the first to fail. People always think I'm just trying to sell service when I tell them not to go 10K just because the sales person pushes it. I do mine every 3K or 4 months, whichever comes first.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #18
murph

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro ABM 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
I read in one of the forums that when the oil level gets low it effects the tensioners on the timing chain which can cause the chain to slip and cause damage to the chain. The tensioners may be hydraulically controlled somehow.
I have the check engine light for the timing chain issue and since it has become an issue, I have had decent oil consumption as well. My mechanic switched me to AMS full synthetic, but still consuming.

As for the hard driving, I know drive mine like a baby, probably have people behind me think a 80 year old grandma is driving, but this timing chain issue concerns me too much to push it all.
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #19
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
It would have to go out through the cats... I've seen some 2.4's fill the cats with oil when oil changes are neglected or the wrong oil is used. The chain has hydraulic tensioners, but even if they start to have issues from sludge it makes them noisy but doesn't make them skip time or anything. Haven't seen an LLT or LFX with that issue yet- except I'm sure the neglected ones will be the first to fail. People always think I'm just trying to sell service when I tell them not to go 10K just because the sales person pushes it. I do mine every 3K or 4 months, whichever comes first.
4k oil changes for me with semi synthetic Dexos.
Too many posts on the forum for timing chains saying " but I used full synthetic".
Old 11-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #20
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
And a lot of people using the wrong type/weight of oil because their friend tells them something else is a better idea.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #21
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
And a lot of people using the wrong type/weight of oil because their friend tells them something else is a better idea.
Boggles the mind, doesn't it?
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote