Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #15
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
this hood on mine lets out plenty of heat ( you can see the haze at stops)
Old 02-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #16
OK2DRUL
ace5.org (Atlanta Club)

Drives: 2010 Black/IOM 2SS LS3
Quote:
Won't this allow water inside the compartment?
The purpose of the weather stripping is to keep water from entering the engine bay. It's a risk that you would have to be willing to take if you were to remove it. I don't think the reduction in temps would be enough to risk it for me.
OK2DRUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #17
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK2DRUL View Post
The purpose of the weather stripping is to keep water from entering the engine bay. It's a risk that you would have to be willing to take if you were to remove it. I don't think the reduction in temps would be enough to risk it for me.
If you are just daily driving your car, not worth getting the engine compartment messed up with the elements. Mine will get dustier than with the stock hood because of the added air flow. I don't drive in rain because my front vents are functional and expose the top of the CAI and fuse box. I wanted functional vents for the track so I deal with it.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #18
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
I ran mine as shown in the thread through a delta sonic car wash and checked immediately afterwards - no water in the engine bay. I was amazed as I fully expected water to get in and I would need to modify something, but no. I also checked after high and low speed driving in the rain. That's why I tested with junkyard parts, I expected issues.

Keep in mind how far the hood covers toward the windshield. All the water goes down through the drains by the windshield. I daily drive mine and park it outside. I just replace the center piece and full seal for winter, as I don't want to push snow in when clearing it.

Not saying this is something everyone should do or anything, just that is seems to work. I just wanted the cowl scoop to be something other than decorative.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #19
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
I can't believe we have got this far and nobody has asked what a "thermistor" is yet?
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #20
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
I can't believe we have got this far and nobody has asked what a "thermistor" is yet?
Because we all know how to google:

A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance varies significantly with temperature, more so than in standard resistors. The word is a portmanteau of thermal and resistor. Thermistors are widely used as inrush current limiters, temperature sensors, self-resetting overcurrent protectors, and self-regulating heating elements.

Thermistors differ from resistance temperature detectors (RTD) in that the material used in a thermistor is generally a ceramic or polymer, while RTDs use pure metals. The temperature response is also different; RTDs are useful over larger temperature ranges, while thermistors typically achieve a higher precision within a limited temperature range, typically −90 °C to 130 °C.[1]

But then, when my wife asked me what I was searching and I said Thermistor, she told me (not exactly in the words above though).
Old 02-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #21
fradaj

Drives: RS
I found another thread on the subject. The last post has some interesting information.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=cowl&page=2
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote