Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 12-18-2023, 07:16 PM   #29
whitelt1

Drives: '23 LT1 Convertible (Auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatMobileLT1 View Post
I don't think it should be that hard - maybe just try your dealer' service department?
My dealer installed my 4 DWS06+tires including onto the two on the new OEM 9.5" rims from midwestwheelandtire.com but I doubt they would have noticed or cared if I they were SS OEM rear wheel takeoffs I bought from another owner instead.

I'll have to see. Where I live, there's a lot of terrible places around and I'm just finding a new dealer that I'm unfamiliar with after too many bad experiences with the dealer I used to go to.

People call Florida "a sunny place for shady people" for a reason. Often they are trying to screw you. If they aren't, they're just going to do shit work.
whitelt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:24 PM   #30
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelt1 View Post
Yes, that's 100% correct. They got bought out by another company a year ago and the company that bought them out made these policies as well as no longer accepting deliveries directly from tire rack. Though the same people still work there and they have built a good reputation due to their care and quality of work. It's hard to just to find another one that replaces them.
To be clear, they are lying when they say this has to do with liability. If it were about liability, then to be consistent they would have to make you buy new wheels every time you bought tires, regardless of you old wheels' provenance. This is about trying to make you buy new wheels from them. It's the same reason many places won't mount used tires or repair almost any puncture. Shady people, indeed!

As to the summer-vs-allseason thing, I can understand wanting a long-wearing tire, but then it doesn't make sense to spend money on a new set of wider wheels and tires. You can have more grip or better tread life, but generally not both. One is inversely related to the other. The whole reason you wanted wider tires is for better traction, so I think you're trying to shoot yourself in the foot by shodding your wider wheels with all-seasons. But it's your money, of course. These are just my recommendations. I run the DWS 06+ as my "winter(ish)" tires, so I can tell you first-hand that they do degrade the steering response (a lot) and ultimate grip of the car compared to the PS4S, even though they are one of the two best high-performance all-seasons on the market. They do ride cushy and quiet in comparison, though, so that could be another reason to go with them if that's important to you.

Also, the 40-degree limit is just silliness from manufacturers trying to cover themselves from warranty claims. You can very safely run the ECS or PS4S in temps below freezing. I do it a lot, into the 20s at times. Besides, your tires gain lots of heat as soon as you start driving, so they won't stay cold for long.
Old 12-24-2023, 11:17 AM   #31
Dmoney2SS

Drives: 2022 summit white Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelt1 View Post
Appreciate the response. 1LE wheels sound very tempting, but now I think of it given where I live I think moderation is needed. From what I hear, wider wheels do provide better dry traction but have reduced traction in the rain. I live in South Florida where we get lots of rain especially in the summer, so I think 285 is probably the most you should go. (I believe 1LE wheels are 305?)
I live in south Florida as well and I run 285 up front 305 in the rear with oem zl1 wheels and I do just fine in the rain, just don’t try and go full throttle and you will be fine
Dmoney2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 10:58 AM   #32
orange blaze
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
wider tire and wheels

Here is what i am doing in spring. I have a 2019 Camaro RS 2LT with the V6 eng. I am going with front 19 x 8.5 wheel with 255/45 x 19" tire and rear 19 x 9.5 wheel with 285/40 x19". way more wheel options with 19" wheels. I think GM made a big mistake on the LT1 by having 8.5" rims in the back. 9.5" should be the minimum.
orange blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:31 PM   #33
Mike_Honcho

Drives: camaro
I switched to ss wheels and put 265/305 on my lt1.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617354
Mike_Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:34 PM   #34
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Honcho View Post
I switched to ss wheels and put 265/305 on my lt1.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617354
305s are pretty wide for 9.5" wheels... My 305s are on 1LE 11" wide wheels...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:04 PM   #35
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
I have an LT1 and in the rain the 245's would loose traction even in 4th/5th gear. Insane.
In the rain I had to shift manual in the highway and use 6/7th gear to be safe.

I got used SS wheels for a decen price and installed the 275's with Rear SS wheels.It has proper traction now.
I think they cheaped out too much with the 245's in the rear.

Go for it if you can. I don't know if 285/30/20 will cause issues with the Wheel speed sensors? Anybody knows?
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:06 PM   #36
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmoney2SS View Post
I live in south Florida as well and I run 285 up front 305 in the rear with oem zl1 wheels and I do just fine in the rain, just don’t try and go full throttle and you will be fine
I do WOT in the rain with an LT1. Feels like you have 1200 HP.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote