Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
battery completely flat

so I guess not driving my car for a week completely destroyed my battery.

I had a 600 amp battery jumpstarter that worked with my previous 17 ss just fine, This car ate 3 shots of it and spit it out dead too. also with my 1000 amp noco. 3 attempts to start, it died.

my turbo kia couldn't jump it. It took twice from my wifes 3.8 genesis to revive the monster.

this is the hardest I've ever had jumping a car off.

and before you say the battery is prolly toast, I agree. I'm taking it to dealer first chance I get to see what the deal is.

After I finally got it running, I had a plethora of check engine codes, some of which cleared themselves out, some of which I had to disconnect the battery to clear (p0700 and p2535).

as of this morning, everything has cleared and the car fired right up with seemingly no issues.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Battery tender - Battery Minder 1510 returned a battery from 27% on my Tahoe Yukon Site. I bought one

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Battery tender - Battery Minder 1510 returned a battery from 27% on my Tahoe Yukon Site. I bought one

This is not an option for me. I live in an apartment for the time being.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
get a new battery, probably have a bad cell

I have left mine for over a month w/o issue
Old 03-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
get a new battery, probably have a bad cell

I have left mine for over a month w/o issue
I've heard this as well. I'll definitely be taking it to the dealer. It's still under the 3year/36000 mile so if it's bad, they should replace it.

I figure if it wasn't bad, it is now. I've never had a battery go flat and last much longer.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
The more often they die the shorter the lifespan for sure. As for storage goes I usually just start my car at least once a month. If temperatures are severely cold I'll try to keep them on a charge or start them more often. Sub zero temps will really knock a battery out.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #7
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
Mine had a similar issue after just one week of ownership.
Once I discovered the dead battery, it took a little 10a battery charger at the front & a diesel wrecker at the battery itself to finally jump it over. And he even had to let it charge for about 10 minutes at that.
I went the jump attempt route vs towing it in since I had no tow hook at the time. Someone pilfered it at the dealership.
But mine also had a ton of codes. The jumping might have done some of them.
Anyways, fortunately after it finally started, I drove it to the dealership.
They replaced the battery and cleared all the codes.
Now 4.5 months later I have had no issues at all. It get's driven every weekend or occasionally every other weekend if weather interferes.
So I guess sitting so long at the dealership killed the original battery - it sat for about 10-11 months before I purchased it.
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrfronty View Post
Mine had a similar issue after just one week of ownership.
Once I discovered the dead battery, it took a little 10a battery charger at the front & a diesel wrecker at the battery itself to finally jump it over. And he even had to let it charge for about 10 minutes at that.
I went the jump attempt route vs towing it in since I had no tow hook at the time. Someone pilfered it at the dealership.
But mine also had a ton of codes. The jumping might have done some of them.
Anyways, fortunately after it finally started, I drove it to the dealership.
They replaced the battery and cleared all the codes.
Now 4.5 months later I have had no issues at all. It get's driven every weekend or occasionally every other weekend if weather interferes.
So I guess sitting so long at the dealership killed the original battery - it sat for about 10-11 months before I purchased it.
See, mine is seemingly out of the blue. I drive it about once a week. It's been pretty mild here lately, not even cold, much less freezing.

I've had the car since sept of last year with no problems, and no new mods recently to cause this.

Pretty sure it's just luck of the draw.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #9
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Batterys are interesting. Heat and discharge cycles are what kills them the fastest. The longer the car sits the more the battery is discharged due to the electronics inside the car. When we lived in colder climates a battery would last 5-7 years. Now it seems like 4 years is an accomplishment. My brother owns a Tacoma and the stock battery went out 3 years and one month.
I would rather spend a little bit of cash and be safe. I now make it a point to replace a battery once it hits 3.5 years old.

Since you live in Alabama and the car sits outside in the sun I would say 3 years is pretty good.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
These Camaros have a variable charging system so your battery voltage varies.

When it is "UP" as in charging you may be as high as 14.7 v, and Down as low as 12.3 v

I parked my Camaro for 1 week a year ago at the airport in Detroit winter when it was on the Down cycle. It was 15 degrees out and the car BARELY started, cranked slow....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #11
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
My car will sit for 2 weeks at a time and thank goodness have had no issues. But the weather is usually pretty nice here.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Batterys are interesting. Heat and discharge cycles are what kills them the fastest. The longer the car sits the more the battery is discharged due to the electronics inside the car. When we lived in colder climates a battery would last 5-7 years. Now it seems like 4 years is an accomplishment. My brother owns a Tacoma and the stock battery went out 3 years and one month.
I would rather spend a little bit of cash and be safe. I now make it a point to replace a battery once it hits 3.5 years old.

Since you live in Alabama and the car sits outside in the sun I would say 3 years is pretty good.
I usually get 4 or so on my vehicles. Rarely have I gotten the whole 5 and paid for one outright, especially in the past 15 years. best I've gotten in the past 10 years was 4.5 years on a white toyota yaris (which I also got 278k on the stock brakes).
Old 03-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #13
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Yes. Intense heat is far harder on a battery than intense cold.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
Hi today the truck tried to get my car... and I think thé Battery is Out of order.
Thé car is new and has 15 miles but it has been stocked for 6 months in the canada at the dealer.. so the car was 3 or 4 Times started and this is an automatic... is there a solution without starting it to tow it or it’s and obligation to try to put a starter ?
I wish the battery weren’t out after that ? Is there a risk ? And what to do ?
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote