#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 07-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
SS vs SS 1LE lap time?

Is there any comparison of these two (SS vs SS 1LE) on same track with same driver?
Or has anyone driven these two back to back on same day on same track? (same driver, of course)

I know 1LE is faster, but wanted to see by how much....
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
not that i know of lol i have a 1ss and track my car and wish i would have waited for a 1le but oh well
Old 07-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I think the biggest difference is tires. Stock non-1LE SS tires have much less grip than the 1LE tires. With stock tires, I believe non-1LE SS is much slower than 1LE on track. And1LE brakes are better.

I'm running R888R (295 front, 305 rear) and track pads on my car, which can provide similar or better performance compared to the stock tires and brakes of 1LE. I think tires and brakes upgrade can make the performance of non-1LE SS much closer to stock 1LE.

In my last track event, I could keep up with a 1LE. That car looks stock. Not sure about the level of that driver, though
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
What brake pads are you running hzycamaro? Can you post the link from where you got them from.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #5
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by red6.2 View Post
What brake pads are you running hzycamaro? Can you post the link from where you got them from.
I use Raybestos ST43, which is recommended by some experienced track drivers on this forum. Strong initial bite but noisy and dusty. I got them from LPI racing

https://www.lpiracing.com/showsearch...1&iPageSize=10
Old 07-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #6
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I had a 1SS and then upgraded to a 1SS 1LE. The 1LE is way more composed in the corners and the grip is better. I think to see this difference actually bear out, you would need to do multiple laps on a course with lots of turns. Think of it this way: you could run close to the same times in either car but I'd feel a lot more comfortable running fast in the 1LE, whereas in the 1SS I'd be a little more nervous.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
There is some data on Streets of Willow and a few others, but it's really impossible to compare unless both cars ran the same day with similar optimal setups.

Short tracks aren't going to leverage all of the advantages and long tracks are going to favor other aspects, then there's doing multiple laps, where heat and other issues can cause significant degradation.

I think you get a better idea with comparison articles, like the M4 vs. SS (not 1LE):
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...let-camaro-ss/

At least there you see directly how it stacks up. Look up more tests and comparisons and you start to get a good idea how it stacks up, even when thinking about 1LE vs non-1LE.

Being able to keep putting power down or maintain speed through a curve is huge in a race, this is the 1LE's primary mission. To this extent, the 1LE has several things going for it:, the shocks, the sways, the eLSD, the tires, the brakes that allow you to brake latter and harder.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
hzycamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
There is some data on Streets of Willow and a few others, but it's really impossible to compare unless both cars ran the same day with similar optimal setups.

Short tracks aren't going to leverage all of the advantages and long tracks are going to favor other aspects, then there's doing multiple laps, where heat and other issues can cause significant degradation.

I think you get a better idea with comparison articles, like the M4 vs. SS (not 1LE):
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...let-camaro-ss/

At least there you see directly how it stacks up. Look up more tests and comparisons and you start to get a good idea how it stacks up, even when thinking about 1LE vs non-1LE.

Being able to keep putting power down or maintain speed through a curve is huge in a race, this is the 1LE's primary mission. To this extent, the 1LE has several things going for it:, the shocks, the sways, the eLSD, the tires, the brakes that allow you to brake latter and harder.
Yes, Camaro SS 1LE is way faster. Motortrend also did a comparison between Camaro SS 1LE and 2018 Mustang GT.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...ck-comparison/

Camaro SS 1LE finished Streets of Willow at 1:20.67
Camaro SS finished Streets of Willow at 1:23.15

This is a good direct comparison between them
Old 07-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
Comparing the cars aside from consumables, I would imagine the tires are around 2 of those 2.5 seconds.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post

Camaro SS 1LE finished Streets of Willow at 1:20.67
Camaro SS finished Streets of Willow at 1:23.15

This is a good direct comparison between them
I would say that it's 95% about the tires.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:45 AM   #11
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
Good question, I agree with the previous posts, I think tires are a big part of the laptime difference. Maybe 80-90% of the difference? When I upgraded to RE71's and better alignment, it was like a totally different car. Hopefully someone has some good comparisons or info. Really good tires alone might be worth 2 seconds with MRC on trackmode. I'd like to see both cars with the same tires and alignment with the same driver.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:27 AM   #12
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I think it is a combo of everything added together. The wider / stickier tires, the recalibrated MRC settings, the stiffer bushings and sway bars, stiffer springs.

That is why it is a 1LE package, its not a singular thing, its the sum of the parts, each playing a role.

Stickier tires along can make things worse if you don't have the right suspension under it. Stickier tires will show the weakness of an otherwise awesome suspension on lesser tires.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote