Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Phastek Performance

Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Which nextgen console if any based off this criteria?

So I have been considering picking up a console at some point this year for all the actual nextgen games coming out next year. I's leaning more toward PS4 or just sticking with my PC due to the amount of turn based RPGs I have an interest in playing.

About me:

I'm an old school gamer. I grew up with games like super ghouls and goblins, Castlevania, I feel very strongly that games should be released as a finished product. Exclusive betas or non game-changing content doesn't interest me, and I really don't like the "buy the ps4 version for one extra mission and 8 minutes of gameplay" bs that companies are trying to spoonfeed us.

I don't play FPS anymore. I got my spartan laser in Halo 3 legitly and haven't picked up another FPS since. I'm not a CoD/BF kind of guy unless it's on a mouse/keyboard. I do play halo 3 once in a while with my brother on a very fun version of zombies which almost requires 4 people to get the most out of it. You can imagine how hard that is with the amount of people playing halo 3 anymore.

I fell in love with the AC series until III. I didn't like the story as much, and the multiplayer maps were just too tiny. Revelations was the best of the series, and I didn't even try to pick up ACIV as it was more of the navy missions were got boring very quickly.

As for turn based RPGs, I'd love for a FFVII to be remastered and re-released with no changes. I'd buy a ps4 just for that one game. I didn't like lost odyssey, nor blue dragon. Final Fantasy X was the last of the great games in that series.

MMO's are fun, but it's too hard to find a good raiding group that isn'talready full is tough enough as it is. Arena and battleground based pvp doesn't interest me. I'd much rather go PK people with open world pvp. Nothing has even come close to Ultima Online imvho.

As for games that I play now. Street Fighter IV, Tomb Raider, Candy Crush, and I play Path of Exile every once in a while.

Tomb Raider is occupying my free time. I don't know why I didn't try it before. I really appreciate the immersion of the interface, along with the storyline and graphics. The storyline is the main draw for games for me, unless it's a fighting game, which I then play online.

Today I started doing a research on games that interest me and the list is as follows:

child of light (all consoles)
trails in the sky (PC)
deep down (PS4)
cosmic star heroine (PS4, PC)
cyperpunk 2077 (PS4, PC, XBOX1)
pillars of eternity (PC)
Torment: Tides of Numeria (PC)
Destiny (all consoles)

I know PS4 is out in the lead, but xbox has levelled the playing field a bit due to the kinect-less console. I bought an xbox360 for halo 3 only, and never picked up a ps3. Now with the new consoles, I'm not really impressed with any of the new games. Nothing really screams that I NEED TO HAVE ONE, so I've been waiting until the next gen games (normally take 3 years or so to develop games exclusively for a generation of consoles) to really make a decision. I have my gaming laptop that's almost 3 years old, so option C is to just upgrade/rebuild that and stick with PC games.

My dilemmna is that I'm seeing a few consoles for sale for decent prices, but I'm trying to find a reason to purchase a console over building my laptop up a little more. Right now it's 50/50 with nothing really standing out aside from consoles being a blu ray player, but then I need to figure out if I want Xbox or PS4, then comparing them to a PC.

Any suggestions/comments?? I will delete any fanboy posts. I'm looking for thoughtful insight from people who aren't close minded.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
No joking around, it sounds like you need to pick up a wii u. Never even had the thought of the wii u in my head until a few weeks ago. Just a lot of fun looking games. Like 3D Mario and Mario kart 8. That will take care of your old school itch. A new Zelda will be coming out as well, that's open world. pikmin 3 looks like a really fun game. If the wii u doesn't interest you at all, I'd just build up your laptop and/or just sit tight for more games to come out for the Xbox/ps and decide then.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
PS4 and Xbox One are currently hype consoles and should wait till the end of the year to see where both systems stand by then. I agree with PoorMan, get the Wii U. No regrets as a true old school gamer.
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
To me unless there is a game that isn't coming on PC that you really want to play then stick with the PC IMO and yes this years batch of Next Gen games are a bit ho hum right now. I will say I did preorder the Destiny bundle For the Ps4 cause its going to be a white PS4 and destiny with it and a couple other things for only 449.99 that was a deal to me so I decided to jump in before I really thought I would. To me it sounds like you need a PC since you really haven't been a console player for awhile it seems. I also agree with you on the Final Fantasy VII bit no changes except for graphics enhancements.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingSuns View Post
PS4 and Xbox One are currently hype consoles and should wait till the end of the year to see where both systems stand by then.
Agreed! I love my xbox one but I do get a little bored with it at times.... I do like using it as my media hub though, it just seems like the games get stale a little to fast.

That being said If I didn't have a Xbox one I would buy one just for this.... but I'm a sucker for the Halo story line.

I am going to start playing PC games again.... there are so many games you can get cheap through steam. Besides that I am looking forward to H1Z1 and DayZ if it ever gets finished.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I appreciate the comments, especially being so prompt.

Every game has it's own launcher now (origin, steam, neverwinter's, blizzard, etc.) and that's just as bad a strike against it as PSN accounts getting hacked and Xbox's low resolution. Wii U sounds like a good idea, but I really don't see myself with any nintendo console until the controller is a bit more ergonomic.

I like the smart glass concept, I havea decently high gamerscore, and I don't have a vita, so xbox wins there.
PS4 has the better games (based on my list of rpgs), so PS4 wins there.
PC had mods for added replay value and I can play almost anywhere with an internet connection, so that wins there.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post

I like the smart glass concept, I havea decently high gamerscore, and I don't have a vita, so xbox wins there.
PS4 has the better games (based on my list of rpgs), so PS4 wins there.
PC had mods for added replay value and I can play almost anywhere with an internet connection, so that wins there.
Sounds like you need all three ..... Same here I'm just waiting for something to come out on the PS4 that really grabs me!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
As an early adopter of both next gen consoles I'd say hold off on them until we see some more games. However if you are interested in Destiny there is the Destiny PS4 bundle that you can pre-order. With that being said I say stick with PC for now, that's where I've been spending most of my time while I wait for these consoles to get some games.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Sounds like you should stick with the PC. I am in the process of building my first gaming computer, so we shall see how it goes for me.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
To me it's sounds like you should stick with the PC. Both consoles will launch a slew of games this fall and holiday season which will bump up the value of the nextgen consoles finally. The integration of media from smart glass to your surround sound; and stout gaming stability & community via XBL really pushes the Xbox ahead to me. I own both systems, and rarely touch my PS. But we have vast differences in gaming interests.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
I'm a console gamer so this is hard for me to say but I say stick with PC for your needs.

I have had the vast array of xboxs back to the original, and all versions of the playstation.

Today I have a PS4 and will pick up an Xbox One when I get back from deployment. But console vs console they basically have the same stats and for the most part have the same games. I play more PS because the controller interface is better in my opinion. However I like Xbox for Forza and Halo. Anything else I just buy for the PS4.

But like I said for your case I would stick with PC as most games minus a select few are released for eveyrthing
Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
If you don't care about the technical superiority of the PS4, then choose based on the games you like. 90% of the games that come out is multiplatform but the Xbox has a history of having better shooters while the PS has a history of having better RPG's.

I do agree with your assessment about games though, currently there is not any games out that screams "buy the console for me". Almost all of the good games for both consoles have been delayed until Christmas or until beginning of next year. If you want your gaming fix now, I would upgrade your PC and then look back into consoles in 6 months.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
my ps4 has been a paper weight since I bought it on release. there has been nothing worth playing in my opinion. I say stick with PC!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I absolutely love my Xbox One. Titanfall has been so addicting.

From the sounds of it though it seems like you're a PC gamer more than anything.

If you want to relive your Halo 3 days, the Master Chief collection will NOT let you do that.

edit: NOT let you down lol

Last edited by SPARTAN sui; 07-10-2014 at 07:59 PM.
SPARTAN sui is offline   Reply With Quote