Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #29
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
America is dying in general...there is a whole new generation that just hates America and its products and it abilility to succeed. They will put their money on any product as long as its not American made.
There is a huge ‘Made in America’ push right now from the younger generation. It’s the in thing right now. In the auto industry, maybe not so much. But you’re making such a blanket statement and you’re just plain wrong.

As far as politics, I could partially agree with your statement. But that’s a topic for another time.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #30
JohnCobalt

Drives: Camaro and Mazda CX3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
I didn't know there was a potential replacement for the F body platform back in 2002. I love those F bodies in my opinion they truly were the last of the muscle cars. so much fun to drive so old school no nannies just pure car
So true. My first of many V8s was a Firebird Formula. No traction control, no stability, nothing to turn off. All my corvettes were faster and nicer, but I never had much fun in them.

Back to the topic: Mustangs will last forever..............Camaros might die. Idk. Honestly I could see them scaling back production of the Camaro soon.
JohnCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #31
germanicus

Drives: Pony Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
America is dying in general...there is a whole new generation that just hates America and its products and it abilility to succeed. They will put their money on any product as long as its not American made.

Younger generations do not covet automobiles as prior generations did. Why? Car ownership is not necessary with ride sharing/Uber/Lyft options. They are incredibly expensive for a young person, and it makes little sense to buy a new vehicle and accrue more massive debt on top of the ridiculously high price higher education imparts.

The writing is on the wall regarding ICE. Manufactures see this. By the late 2020's it is highly probably there won't be any large consumer car manufacturers offering ICE vehicles.
germanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #32
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
There is a huge ‘Made in America’ push right now from the younger generation. It’s the in thing right now.
They are also moving to big cities and not owning cars.

Teens are not getting their driving license at all, or are getting it much later.

Car sharing programs are also becoming a lot more popular, and ownership of anything is becoming less attractive.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Mustang and Camaro are both on the cars America wants- so they are here to stay. They also want trucks and SUV's too. Small and mid size cars don't sell as well. I still personally can't believe that small fuel efficient cars don't sell that well here. Compared to the rest of the world gas is cheap here I guess. For those of us with long commutes though (me included- I drive 100 miles a day) have to have fuel efficiency. I spend $160 a month as it is and my little Fiesta gets 36 MPG. If I drove a large SUV or truck I would get half the mileage and spend double the gas- $320 a month- how do people with trucks and SUV's afford it spending that much or more on gas?
Old 04-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #34
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
FCA makes way more on Jeep Sales and Ram sales than anything. We are on our 2nd Jeep Grand Cherokee and love it. I know the above to be true, as a friend of mine actually owns a Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler dealer.
No question, that's why Fiat is pouring all its money into trucks/Jeep instead of the LX platform or any other car.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #35
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Mustang and Camaro are both on the cars America wants- so they are here to stay.
In 2017 Ford sold 82,000 Mustangs compared to 210,000 Fusions and 160,000 Focuses (Foci?). Not sure how the profit per car differs, but from a pure sales volume standpoint, it's puzzling that the niche Mustang survives these cuts.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #36
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Real truth is that SUVs are killing cars. They're the chosen family hauler today. Cars are pretty useless except for fun.

I had a daily driven 300S for about a year. Great car, smooth, fast, big, but totally useless. I still needed a truck beater for home depot runs. I sold it and the beater and bought a RAM 1500 ecodiesel 4x4 that does everything a truck can do, rides great with factory air suspension, and gets better fuel mileage than my 300 did. My Camaro is my fun car and my wife drives a 4Runner.

I like cars, but honestly, they're not very useful in today's active families as all purpose vehicles. They haul people and that's about it. My Camaro doesn't even haul people well, but it sure does haul a$$ which is its purpose. But again, not what the typical buyer needs or wants these days especially if they can only have one or two vehicles per family.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #37
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i saw an online pic of the mustang SUV.it honestly looked like the old station wagon mustang engineering mule of the mid 60s,not horrible,just different.possibly ford,and by extension chevy,will offer it as an additional body style along with coupes/convertibles powered by alternative engine options as well as ICE engines.camaro and mustang already have turbo 4s.we of the older generation are the only ones equating ponycars with big block V8s,and we are a vanishing demographic.for camaro/mustang to survive in the future it will have to appeal to the younger audience and also retain enough styling and sportiness to keep our attention.a pretty tough situation for new car designers to be in,IMO.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #38
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
In 2017 Ford sold 82,000 Mustangs compared to 210,000 Fusions and 160,000 Focuses (Foci?). Not sure how the profit per car differs, but from a pure sales volume standpoint, it's puzzling that the niche Mustang survives these cuts.
Needs to keep its Halo car for brand image?
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #39
Joel2702zzz

Drives: My Dad's car is a '16 1SS 6MT
You must have bought a lemon because we have not needed to take it once to the dealer.
Joel2702zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #40
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Read in Panorama April 2018 Issue that Ford is not even in the top 5 world sales list.

Renault-Nissan (with controling interest in Mitsubishi) is top at 10.6M vehicles,
followed by VW Group at 10.5M,
Toyota 10.4M,
GM 8.3M
and then Hyundai-Kia 7.5M.

Also cars only made up 33% of the total light vehicle sales meaning pickup trucks and SUV's outsold cars two to one. Used to be 50/50 so car's shares have been dropping.

You can see looking at the numbers why Ford might be doing what they are doing.

ps. I believe all cars have gotten better no matter the country of origin.
ps. ps. country of origin is not a thing anymore. Most cars have parts from multiple countries. Ford was going to build the hybrid Mustang in Mexico but canceled that plan. Now the plan is Flat Rock, but a lot of USA cars are built in Mexico.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #41
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanicus View Post
Younger generations do not covet automobiles as prior generations did. Why? Car ownership is not necessary with ride sharing/Uber/Lyft options. They are incredibly expensive for a young person, and it makes little sense to buy a new vehicle and accrue more massive debt on top of the ridiculously high price higher education imparts.

The writing is on the wall regarding ICE. Manufactures see this. By the late 2020's it is highly probably there won't be any large consumer car manufacturers offering ICE vehicles.
I definitely agree with the second part of your statement. As a 26 year old I know several people my age who would love to own a sports car but just simply can't afford a new one. I also think ownership of sports cars is dying off because of common misconceptions regarding them. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone either A) overvalue the price of my car for 50%-100% more than i paid for it (so they obv THINK they cant afford one) or B) told me they wish they could afford one (while driving a 50k Truck or SUV lol) I always scratch my head at each of these comments I get because used mustangs/camaros/chargers can be had well equipped from 20-30k.....same price as a well equipped malibu or impala etc. I'm just enjoying my RWD manual V8 while I can and praying that I don't see the end of their existence lol
Old 04-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #42
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
I didn't know there was a potential replacement for the F body platform back in 2002. I love those F bodies in my opinion they truly were the last of the muscle cars. so much fun to drive so old school no nannies just pure car
The last time I got out of my 4th gen Firebird WS6, my third 4th gen, to trade it in after driving it around all day, I was just so happy not to have to get back in it to drive it home. Sometimes rose colored glasses shape our perception of past fun. It is more about who we were back in that day rather than the car. Just like with the old time muscle cars, most who revere them never spent any time in them. They were horrible handling cars and most would be left for dead by a Camaro I4 on a road track and in the 1/4 mile.

We may be close to the pinnacle of gas powered performance cars. Enjoy it while you can.