Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Supercharger Decision Assistance - Please!!

In another thread I tried to get people to post info on their setup and it was a pretty sad turnout. I appreciate those that did respond but I need more info. I research things to death before I purchase. Drives my wife nuts. My OCD is preventing me from pulling the trigger on anything right now until I get better info for ME.

I have done a ton of research on this and my brain is fried from reading about supercharging. I know the difference in all of them, I know how capable they all are, I know that people have preferences, but what I can't get is driveability for ME. I read that for a Magnuson and Whipple that you better buy more tires because you're going to be burning them from a stop due to torque. I read ProCharger is more driveable due to power coming on in midrange. I've also read that this is all tunable.

Help me out here. Here are my driving habits. I daily drive it in the summer, I don't feather the pedal from a stop light but I don't squash the pedal either, I get going. I drive a lot of freeway and I like to pass and get up to speed which usually translates to mashing the pedal but not slamming it to the floor. Very seldom would I take it to the track; more likely attend car cruises.

Based on all my reading I am leaning toward a ProCharger but most folks keep suggesting a Magnuson. I have already ruled out the Edelbrock (My OCD killed it from watching the boards about it's possible issues.)

All info is appreciated.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #2
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post

Based on all my reading I am leaning toward a ProCharger but most folks keep suggesting a Magnuson. I have already ruled out the Edelbrock (My OCD killed it from watching the boards about it's possible issues.)

All info is appreciated.
It sounds to me that you've got answers, just not the ones you want to hear.

I am biased to PD's so you already know my answer but in my opinion, if YOU personally are a stop light warrior and in a scenario where 2 camaros lined up....1 centri, 1 roots or screw type

the cenrti is playing catch up take that to the bank brother
Old 10-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
It sounds to me that you've got answers, just not the ones you want to hear.

I am biased to PD's so you already know my answer but in my opinion, if YOU personally are a stop light warrior and in a scenario where 2 camaros lined up....1 centri, 1 roots or screw type

the cenrti is playing catch up take that to the bank brother
I'm not concerned about stop light to stop light. I like power but not unusable power. This concerns me the most - "I read that for a Magnuson and Whipple that you better buy more tires because you're going to be burning them from a stop due to torque." I DON'T want to be burning tires when I hit the gas pedal and I don't want to granny the gas pedal either. I don't want the rear end getting away from me when I am trying to get around traffic. I am looking for a happy medium. On multiple boards I have read that if you get to half or 3/4 gas you're going to burn them. Not what I am looking for.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 10-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Zxmustang
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette
I had this issue with my C6 corvette. I had an A&A vortech kit on it. The car was like stock from 0-3500rpm. After that it would rip the tires off in just about any forward gear. It was not great on the street. Not controllable power unless you went to the track. Then at the drag strip I was able to really feel how fast my car was.

If I were to do it again, I would go PD all the way. I really wanted that tip in tq on demand feeling. The centri will no do that for you. Now on the highway, thats a whole other story. Talk about pulling like a freight train.

None of these concepts are new tho man. You need to decide do you want a stop light monster, or a highway monster.

ECS (east coast supercharging) had the answer to this problem for the corvette Centri kits they sold. They would use what they called a restrictor plate on the inlet side of the centri blower. Then they would pulley it WAY down way past what you would normally pulley down a centri in this application. Being pullied way down, the blower would spin much faster building boost quicker and earlier in the RPM range. But on the top end it would get restricted by the plate. It was a great idea and worked flawlessly with their kits. The tq curve was flat like a table, and this was with their paxton centri kit. Take all this how you will. But if you can get a whipple, I would get nothing less. Forget the maggie.
Zxmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxmustang View Post
I had this issue with my C6 corvette. I had an A&A vortech kit on it. The car was like stock from 0-3500rpm. After that it would rip the tires off in just about any forward gear. It was not great on the street. Not controllable power unless you went to the track. Then at the drag strip I was able to really feel how fast my car was.

If I were to do it again, I would go PD all the way. I really wanted that tip in tq on demand feeling. The centri will no do that for you. Now on the highway, thats a whole other story. Talk about pulling like a freight train.

None of these concepts are new tho man. You need to decide do you want a stop light monster, or a highway monster.

ECS (east coast supercharging) had the answer to this problem for the corvette Centri kits they sold. They would use what they called a restrictor plate on the inlet side of the centri blower. Then they would pulley it WAY down way past what you would normally pulley down a centri in this application. Being pullied way down, the blower would spin much faster building boost quicker and earlier in the RPM range. But on the top end it would get restricted by the plate. It was a great idea and worked flawlessly with their kits. The tq curve was flat like a table, and this was with their paxton centri kit. Take all this how you will. But if you can get a whipple, I would get nothing less. Forget the maggie.
Thanks for the info. I do not want a stop light monster. I just don't want to feather the pedal from a stop light.

Here is a good example of a stop light for me. When at a stop light there are three of us lined up, all of which are normal people driving on the street - 99% of the time I am the first one out the gate. No, I'm not throwing anyone back in the seat but I am going. The complaint that some people have on the board about the throttle hesitation - I have no idea what they are talking about, never experienced it. I by no means need a Vitesse throttle controller.

As for the Whipple, tons of research. Waiting to hear how it goes on our car. I was really hoping that they would have put it on one of our cars by now and given us some data.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
GirlyNFG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6 w/ NPP
I loveeeee my setup. My car is a monster, but drives nicely when needed. I often cart my kid around, so no need to do burnout in the school drop off lane, yaknow?

This is my second procharger. I had a TVS on my G8 before procharging it, so it was cool to have the back to back comparison ability. Hands down, I would not do positive displacement again.
28"x10.5" MT ET Drag 28"x4.5" M&H fronts
PB: 9.569 @ 151.05
GirlyNFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyNFG View Post
I loveeeee my setup. My car is a monster, but drives nicely when needed. I often cart my kid around, so no need to do burnout in the school drop off lane, yaknow?

This is my second procharger. I had a TVS on my G8 before procharging it, so it was cool to have the back to back comparison ability. Hands down, I would not do positive displacement again.
When I see over 800hp, and you say it's great to drive, that blows me away. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
GirlyNFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
When I see over 800hp, and you say it's great to drive, that blows me away. Thanks!
It blows me away all the time. I requested my cam to be specd to hold that aspect of the centri system. So props to my builder for getting me beyond where I wanted to be while maintaining the importance of driveability.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
The Positive Displacement will drive just like a bigger engine, when you get it to the floor you will have a nice increase in power throughout the entire RPM range. It is not violent, uncontrollable, or anything like that, just nice smooth controlled power delivery at the command of your right foot.

The TVS (Eaton) based units that are available are OEM level quality, you won't find hardware store sourced brass fittings and shortcuts like that on them. They cost a bit more, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Finally, we know that PD is on all counts the best solution for the street and daily drivers (how many OEMs use a centrifugal? - I'll tell you it isn't because of price), it is also a great solution for the track. Power numbers between the two types of systems are deceiving, it takes a lot more power from a centrifugal to be as fast as a PD. For example, we can look at some of our members 1/4 mile MPH as a reference as to how much "usable" power a car produces:

With a Positive Displacement SC (Magnuson):
1/4 mile trap speed of 129.5 which makes 610 RWHP
1/4 mile trap speed of 136+ MPH who was making 699 RWHP

When we look at the centrifugal (ProCharger) we see:
1/4 mile trap speed of 122 which makes 580 RWHP
1/4 mile trap speed of 129.9 which makes 749 RWHP

So, do you want a high quality system that performs perfectly under all conditions with a warranty, known OEM 100,000 mile validation, and is actually fast? -or- HP bragging rights?

That has to be your decision...
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by toohighpsi View Post
The Positive Displacement will drive just like a bigger engine, when you get it to the floor you will have a nice increase in power throughout the entire RPM range. It is not violent, uncontrollable, or anything like that, just nice smooth controlled power delivery at the command of your right foot.
So this is what I got out of this - When I get a new car or even drive a rental car, I have to figure out how the accelerator and the brake work for a better ride. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes and other times it takes a few days. You're saying that with a PD this is the same case.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
Gmanuel

Drives: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohighpsi View Post

The TVS (Eaton) based units that are available are OEM level quality, you won't find hardware store sourced brass fittings and shortcuts like that on them. They cost a bit more, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Finally, we know that PD is on all counts the best solution for the street and daily drivers (how many OEMs use a centrifugal? - I'll tell you it isn't because of price), it is also a great solution for the track. Power numbers between the two types of systems are deceiving, it takes a lot more power from a centrifugal to be as fast as a PD. For example, we can look at some of our members 1/4 mile MPH as a reference as to how much "usable" power a car produces:

With a Positive Displacement SC (Magnuson):
1/4 mile trap speed of 129.5 which makes 610 RWHP
1/4 mile trap speed of 136+ MPH who was making 699 RWHP

When we look at the centrifugal (ProCharger) we see:
1/4 mile trap speed of 122 which makes 580 RWHP
1/4 mile trap speed of 129.9 which makes 749 RWHP

So, do you want a high quality system that performs perfectly under all conditions with a warranty, known OEM 100,000 mile validation, and is actually fast? -or- HP bragging rights?

That has to be your decision...
Don't forget the Cordes D1SC car that trapped 129 at 5700DA with 662whp. Not saying I disagree with you that PD cars have an advantage from a dig.
Gmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
Subperfect

Drives: 16 Camaro
I would wait till SEMA is over before making the decision as I'm sure a few more companies would be showcasing thier FI applications for our cars at SEMA followed by the release soon.
Subperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #13
GirlyNFG

My car is also a M6, I am still learning mine. so my 744rw & 129.9mph was pretty much the first time out with the car.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #14
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I'm going to be getting a centri, I don't do quarter mile so mine will be used for spirited road driving and track days where I never need to accelerate from 0 and can just keep the motor in its power band - and if I want a wider power band then I can either go the east coast S/C route, or fit a procharger with a wastegate
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote