Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #43
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
Yeah 108-109 in the 1/4.
It sounds like a nice tune and or intake should be just what the doctor ordered.
The low to mid torque isnt bad as it is, I just wanted it to feel more impressive and go quicker full throttle with tighter shifting. A chirp into second would be sweet too
Have you tracked this thing yet? I'd bet if you make 4 passes you will hit 107 as long as it isn't super hot.

I know plenty of bone stock L99's that can hit that mark. Slap on a Vararam or CAI Inc with scoop and i'm sure you will hit a 108 if that's all you want. Still won't help you with the butt feel on the street though. You need some LT's and a good tune on both the motor and tranny to get that feel.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #44
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Have you tracked this thing yet? I'd bet if you make 4 passes you will hit 107 as long as it isn't super hot.

I know plenty of bone stock L99's that can hit that mark. Slap on a Vararam or CAI Inc with scoop and i'm sure you will hit a 108 if that's all you want. Still won't help you with the butt feel on the street though. You need some LT's and a good tune on both the motor and tranny to get that feel.
Yeah I just bought it a few weeks ago. So no runs yet. 107 wouldn't be bad for stock.
I want more butt feel on the street at full throttle as a priority. I'm hoping a tune will help there?
The ability to run a low 13-high 12@ 108 at least at the track would be nice too.
My local track doesn't open until March:(

I was a little depressed giving up my tuned 3.73 5.0 for the L99 but the more Ive been driving this car it's starting to grow on me. It's definitely more fun and torquey than my 5.0auto was.
You can easily find countless seemingly cherry picked You Tube vids of camaros getting walked and read stuff on the internet where they make it sound as if the L99 is a 14 sec pig/dog. I'm starting to believe the reality is this car is actually pretty quick with potential to be a decent runner.
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #45
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Yeah I just bought it a few weeks ago. So no runs yet. 107 wouldn't be bad for stock.
I want more butt feel on the street at full throttle as a priority. I'm hoping a tune will help there?
The ability to run 108 at least at the track would be nice too.
My local track doesn't open until March:(

I was a little depressed giving up my tuned 3.73 5.0 for the L99 but the more Ive been driving this car it's starting to grow on me. It's definitely more fun and torquey than my 5.0auto was.
You can easily find countless seemingly cherry picked You Tube vids of camaros getting walked and read stuff on the internet where they make it sound as if the L99 is a 14 sec pig/dog. I'm starting to believe the reality is this car is actually pretty quick with potential to be a decent runner.
Your L99 is only limited by your wallet. Some of us fellow L99 pig owners have gotten these things to fly!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #46
trw427ss

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
True true.
Whats the deal with your 13', factory freak or what?
I test drove a 13' SS manual and it wasn't anything special...

I guess it could be a factory freak. The same night I ran 12.76@108.98 Bone Stock there were other L99's running to and they were .5 to .7 slower than mine! And the fact that it made 20+ more RWHP than any other Stock L99 dynoed at Futral Motorsports must mean something.
12.007@ 115.20 With 18" Drag Radials - 11.93 @115.19 Added a PTB 11.76 @116.59 With Yank SS3200 Converter - 11.63 @116.52 After PI and Tuning 11.44 @118.75 New Best
10.72 @127.93 after heads and Cam and Yank SS3600
trw427ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #47
7311camaro

Drives: 73 rs 2011 ss rs
the l99 losses a ton of hp through the transmission if u want a quartermile car then a stick wouold be the way to go. I couldnt decide which to go then i pulled the trigger on my l99 i love it i have had sticks forever and was tired of replacing clutches and u joints ect you can gain a ton of hp through adding Long Tube headers a cold air intake and a custome tune. i just got my tune done and man what a huge difference he squeezed 15hp out and firmed up the shiftpoints and now coming out of first gear look out wow!!! so my next three mods will be ported intake, throttle body and a vararam intake currently im at 378hp to the pavement my tuner told me by adding the three things should get me close to fourhundred until i can afford a supercharger lol i enjoy reliability and wanted to do a cam ect ect ect but same results and cost with a SC. btw i found my ceramic coated headers and x pipe on amazon for less than 600 bucks. that alone before a tune woke the car up!!
7311camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #48
amerimuscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Stock everything except for my vararam "no tune" model and borla atak catback i ran 13.1 @ 109 or 110 in an l99
amerimuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #49
JM20

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
I was like you and didn't want to tune my L99 due to future warranty issues, but really wanted a better sounding exhaust, so I decided to throw on an axel back...but then found out I'll need a tune anyway to turn off the cylinder deactivation or it'll sound like a rice burner when it kicks on.

I purchased a handheld programer from Ted Jannetty, a CAI intake (also purchased from Ted), loaded his free tune and boy did it really wake up the car with just these three items.

The tranny shift points are night and day! I can easily chirp 2nd.
Now when I turn off the nannies I can spoke them all the way up the street. Before the tune it was kind of a difficult task.
But if you're thinking gears, I would at least try his tune before going that route.
A VMAX ported throttle body also made a nice improvement in throttle response.

As I don't race I cannot give you any times, but it really is night and day tuned.

Also I did end up having a warranty issue (some bolt in the driveshaft) which was done under warrany and the tune thing never came up. But I guess each dealer is different.
JM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #50
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Typically the dealer will only look at the calibration in the event of a catastrophic engine, differential or transmission failure. Then it is required by GM

-sent from my Note 2 using tapatalk 2
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote