Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Out of State Purchase

Have any of you purchased your car out of state? If so, how did you go about it? Travel to get it, had it shipped to you/to a local dealer etc. Thanks
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
I bought my 1LE in Mass and live in PA. Had pics sent of the car, worked out the deal over the phone and then drove 5 hrs each way to purchase and drive it home. I drove it when I got there just to feel it out for anything strange, only had 8 miles on it. Looked it over really good, no curb rash or scratches at all. I did find out after I got home the hood wrap was bunched up around the hood vents (turns out that is a pretty normal issue on the 1LE's. I had no issues getting my local dealer to replace. They also gave it a state inspection that I had to pay for. I also had to take it to a notary to pay the taxes on the purchase and register the car in PA.

As for problems, I had some issues getting a temp tag in Mass, the dealer claimed Mass doesn't have a temp tag. They got one from bordering Rhode Island so I could drive it home. I would be more nervous about buying a used car that far from home vs a new one.

Just make sure you get a bill of sale showing the correct #'s before you travel. Make sure you have insurance worked out.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I bought two cars out of state. A 13 ZL1 and a 16 2SS.

I had Reliable Carriers pick up and deliver the ZL1 because it was a purchase without trade and the weather was bad. I drove my trade to picked up the the 2SS. Both were 380 miles each direction and neither involved a local dealer.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Drove out in old, drove in with new. Make sure you have deal on paper before you go to avoid surprises. Be ready to drive back in the old.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Bought it new from a dealer across the country and had it shipped to me.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
I bought 2 cars out of state. Both were about a 5 hour drive one way so we made a road trip out of it.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
Just Cruzin

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Anniv & 1969 SS350
Also check that the car that you want meets your state's emissions. In NY we have to meet CA emissions now on certain out of state car purchases depending on mileage, year, etc.

NYS DMV CA Emissions Standards
Just Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #8
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Purchased mine in Michigan from the one and only BeckyD back in April 2017.

I flew up to Detroit and drove it home to Orlando.

All the pricing was agreed upon before flying up just needed to sign and drive.

Becky and Joe are over at James Martin Chevrolet in Detroit I highly recommend them. I will be purchasing from them again in the future For my wife a new Suburban, and a new Traverse for myself.

Here is my story

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491968
Old 11-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Out of State Purchase

Easy.

Bought my 335 in Canada (was originally sold in Phoenix) drove back home to VA.

Bought my wife’s Optima in Massachusetts, drove back home to VA.

Bought my FR-S in Charlotte, NC, drove it home to PA (when I lived there)

Bought my SS from Iowa, drove back home to VA.

Bought a DD Elantra Sport from PA just 2 weeks ago, drove back home to VA.

I don’t mind the trips at all and find them fun. With the sales in Canada and Iowa, I flew up 1-way (already had all the details worked out) and drove back. All the others, I took a 1-way rental and drove back. I will say everything is significantly easier if there’s no trade involved (so you’re not haggling over value) and if you already have financing (or certified check) ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #10
EddieL3

Drives: 1995 Z28, 2018 SS 1LE
I purchased mine from a private owner in Maryland. I then drove it 240 miles back home to Pennsylvania. Had my financial institution send money to pay off the previous owner’s lien. Once the lien was released I picked up the car and drove it back.
EddieL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
yankee

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT RS, 2015 Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Easy.

Bought my 335 in Canada (was originally sold in Phoenix) drove back home to VA.

Bought my wife’s Optima in Massachusetts, drove back home to VA.

Bought my FR-S in Charlotte, NC, drove it home to PA (when I lived there)

Bought my SS from Iowa, drove back home to VA.

Bought a DD Elantra Sport from PA just 2 weeks ago, drove back home to VA.

I don’t mind the trips at all and find them fun. With the sales in Canada and Iowa, I flew up 1-way (already had all the details worked out) and drove back. All the others, I took a 1-way rental and drove back. I will say everything is significantly easier if there’s no trade involved (so you’re not haggling over value) and if you already have financing (or certified check) ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What about taxes from Canada to US? Do you pay them in dealer’s state/province and pay again at the border?

I am interested on the other way around: Detroit to Toronto, which are very close for a road trip, but I am not sure what taxes to pay and where.
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #12
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Bought mine two states away. Entire deal was done with the salesman via text including the trade. Drove out, traded, and drove home. Only thing that changed was that state couldn't collect taxes for my state so it was not figured in the loan which was a big chunk I had to pay the next month I wasn't planning on. Not a huge deal but just be prepared.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #13
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
When buying used, consider spending some extra money and having the car or truck inspected and scored beforehand. I live in MO, but bought my used 2015 Colorado out of Wisconsin. After digging into any Carfax and dealer TSB/recall/service info I could get on the truck, I also used a service through Lemon Squad. You tell them what vehicle you are considering (I also let sales know a guy was coming for me to look at the vehicle), and within a day or two they send out a representative to inspect and drive the vehicle for you. They email back to you a comprehensive document detailing anything they found, lots of pictures (including close ups of any scratches/dings/dents) and anything they noticed on the drive. I've only used them once, but my experience was good, and was left with zero surprises when the truck was finally delivered to me.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Just make sure you understand the tax laws in your state and the state you are buying in, and how to insure the car if you're driving it home.

For example, Indiana will make you pay sales tax if you buy the car there, unless it's being shipped out of state by a bonded carrier.

And yes, as someone stated, there are no temp tags in Massachusetts. I don't know what the laws are elsewhere, but I thought even temp tags were for residents.

The last time I bought a car out of state, I had it shipped. I applied for a Massachusetts title as soon as I came home with the out of state title, and then got the plates and insurance even before the car arrived. I put the local plates on as soon as the car rolled off the truck.

Last edited by Rock-It Man; 11-20-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote