Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
instagator

Drives: Black SS/Rs
Rear Main Seal Leaking on Engine

Hey guys, new to the web site but just wanted to know if any of yall have noticed if your rear main seal was leaking? I change my oil myself and have noticed from about the 5th oil change that there was oil stains at the back of the block. Well yesterday when I was changing my oil I noticed that it has gotten really bad. Going in the shop Monday, car just hit 31,000 miles. And I always change it at 3-4 thousand miles.
instagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
Wlecome to the site. The ls3 and l99 v8 is notorious for leaking in this area. My l99 started leaking in that area with only 9,000 miles on it. Every time i would wipe it clean the leak would re- appear. I just got it taken care of a month ago. Come to find out it wasn't the rear main seal but the oil pan gasket and oil cooler gasket which is in the same area. Don't worry yourself too much, you drivetrain warranty is good for 100,000 miles which includes seals.
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Mine was leaking too. I only have 3600 miles on mine.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Take a look at post# 2342 from Wild Thing. He had this issue and got a fix last week.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=laval&page=94
Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
4 places to look (known issues on 5th gen Camaros)
Oil cooler line to the block
Oil Pan gasket (gasket/block porosity issue)
Rear Main Seal
Rear engine cover (gasket/block porosity issue)
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
5150 Maro

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Had the same problem with mine 6000 miles, engine oil pan leaking from rear corner. They replaced gasket and I got a free oil change.
5150 Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvfastcars View Post
get used to it. Its common on these engines. Thats what cardboard was made for.
I agree to an extent. These are new cars and new cars are not suppose to leak, specially oil! For the oil cooler and oil pan leak, I would get it fixed under warranty.

For the rear main and rear engine cover leak, I would just have it documented by the dealer and let it go if it is only dripping a drop every now and then. The reason I say this is because as we all know, half the time, it is a crap shoot with the dealer when it comes to intensive/intrusive work. Half the time, you realized u ended up trading a small problem for a bigger one that they caused. But if u have a puddle, definitely let them drop the tranny to get to the leak source.

Last edited by ffrcobra_65; 05-04-2011 at 04:27 PM.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Fast1

Drives: 2010 Summit White SS
My car is in the shop right now getting this problem fixed.
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
instagator, please keep us updated on how it goes with your dealer. Hopefully they are able to fully resolve the issue for you. Anyone else who hasn't gotten this issue looked at I suggest you do. If that doesn't resolve your issues please contact me and I'll do what I can to help you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
instagator

Drives: Black SS/Rs
Well just got car back from shop today and can say that it was a total waste of time. The guy told me last week to specificaly bring the car in at 8:00 this morning. Calls me around three saying that they didnt see anything out of the ordinary. WHAT? But wants to reschedule for May 24. I honestly dont even think that they looked at the car. When I was on the phone with him, he told me to go ahead and come pick the car up that he will have off the lift when I get there. 10 mins later and I'm there, they bring car around and I immediately notice that the car is super hot on the inside while driving home. Which in my opinion was a dead give away that they did not just take my car off of the lift, let alone even look at the car. Guess we'll try it again on the 24th.
instagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #11
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I had a rear main seal leak at around 9,000 miles. The first dealer thought it was a oil pan gasket leak, it wasn't, the second dealer found it and fixed it. They told me the seal had a defect. I smell burnt oil every once in awhile, after higher RPM's, so I am not sure if it's back, it never leaked enough to drip to the ground, just alittle in between the engine and tranny. With a rear main, it seems the oil needs to be above the seal to seep out, so it does not leak when sitting idle, or low RPM's I would guess.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

instagator, I'm sorry to hear your dealer was unable to resolve this for you the first time through. If you would like you could send me your contact information and I can get you setup with our Customer Assistance team to see what we can do to assist you with this. Flynnaz, if the issue comes back for you please let me know so I can do the same for you as instagator. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Jeff,
thank you, I love Chevrolet's Customer Service, what other car company would even bother to even read our posts, none. I do appreciate your time.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnaz View Post
Jeff,
thank you, I love Chevrolet's Customer Service, what other car company would even bother to even read our posts, none. I do appreciate your time.
I am glad that you like Chevrolet Customer Service! I am assisting Jeff on this forum at this time and he says “Thank you!”. If you have any other issues, feel free to let us know.

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service