Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #29
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
Ive had both zl1 and 1le and when i buy another camaro it will probly be a 1le. The car was much stiffer and way less outgoing cost on maintenance, tires, fuel, insurance etc. My zl1s were awesome but a little too expensive to be my daily driver with the amount of miles i put per year.

I can totally see that at a reasonable reason that you would buy the 1le except the tires and insurance. . The tires are the same.. and at least my insurance was identical between the 2.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #30
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
Quote:
Ive had both zl1 and 1le and when i buy another camaro it will probly be a 1le. The car was much stiffer and way less outgoing cost on maintenance, tires, fuel, insurance etc. My zl1s were awesome but a little too expensive to be my daily driver with the amount of miles i put per year.
This makes sense to me as a reason to pick a 1le over a ZL1. I was already to buy a brand new 1le and was just shopping for the color with BRM being my first choice. Test drove a used ZL1 3000 miles and returned home with the vehicle. I'm so so satisfied..........
Old 11-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #31
Dr.Spike

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 (IOM)
Both the 1LE and the ZL1 use Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires. The ZL1 uses 285/35ZR20 on the front and 305/35ZR20 on the rear. The 1LE uses 285/35ZR20 for both front and rear. The price difference is about 18 per tire between the 285/35ZR20 and the 305/35ZR20 so you are saving about $36 by going with the 1LE.

The insurance on my ZL1 is exactly the same as it was on my SS.

In my SS I was averaging 14-15 MPG. In my ZL1 I am averaging 13-14 MPG. Not a huge difference.

I have not seen an increase in maintenance cost on the ZL1 over my SS. Oil changes cost the same, etc.

Quote:
Old 11-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #32
Boother

Drives: 14 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
Probably less produced total than ZL1
For 2014, they are essentially equal. 2468 1LE built compared to 2436 ZL1.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #33
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
I have had both cars as well and disagree completely. Maintenance is no
more expensive then either of my 2 SS's I had.. one being my auto SS and the other my 1/LE (supercharged, cam'd)...
Also if you want stiff in the Z just select ptm mode 5, tightens things way up.. That's the beauty of having different modes and Mag ride....
The only reason to buy a 1/LE over the ZL1 is one reason only, people will try and give different ones but the only one is COST, period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Spike View Post
Both the 1LE and the ZL1 use Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires. The ZL1 uses 285/35ZR20 on the front and 305/35ZR20 on the rear. The 1LE uses 285/35ZR20 for both front and rear. The price difference is about 18 per tire between the 285/35ZR20 and the 305/35ZR20 so you are saving about $36 by going with the 1LE.

The insurance on my ZL1 is exactly the same as it was on my SS.

In my SS I was averaging 14-15 MPG. In my ZL1 I am averaging 13-14 MPG. Not a huge difference.

I have not seen an increase in maintenance cost on the ZL1 over my SS. Oil changes cost the same, etc.
+1

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #34
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTZL1 View Post
The only reason to buy a 1/LE over the ZL1 is one reason only, people will try and give different ones but the only one is COST, period!
For you, period!

For those of us out there who are what many would refer to as track junkies, many of us prefer natural aspiration over any sort of forced induction, period!

I would never consider a car that was force-fed, period!

Did I make my point, period?

Billy Period.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #35
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Billy10mm has several posts on these forums that the 1LE is a better drivers car than a Zl1, as well as the fact that the 1LE is 90% of a C7. I think he is in the know that it won't be faster on a track, despite him being a "track junkie" (and despite the fact that he refuses to accept Chevy's times for both cars at VIR).

So, he has an opinion, can't argue with that. He's got a post that he has good seat time in a Zl1 . If everything was just about how a car "feels", people might prefer a Ford Focus or Mini Cooper. They both are way lighter than the 1le, and might feel better to lots of people. So, someone could reasonably post in a forum they prefer the Focus to the Zl1. For helping the original poster, it might be worth a little more of an explanation though then simply "take the 1lE every time" or that "many" track junkies that were prefer the 1LE. Doubt there are "many" who would pick the 1LE if they could have either car for free.

I'm sure he'll prefer his 1LE over the 2015 Z06 as well as a "track junkie" since he prefers Naturally Aspirated and would never want a super charged Z06. Valid opinion, and reasonable to write on a message board since he'll (likely) never have to actually choose the same price 1LE over a C7 Z06. He's fooling himself if he things "many" share the same opinion though.

Everyone has different opinions, makes the world go round. Some better explanation might be of use though.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #36
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by csochs View Post
First, I apologize if this is covered alresdy. I didn't find exactly what I was seeking in the ZL1 forum. I asked this question on the 1LE side of the forum and thought it fair to ask here as well. But I did t want to start any flames. Serious question.

Why choose the ZL1

I know this sounds like a stupid question but I test drove both. My observations are 1LE exhaust is louder, more growl. ZL1 more power and the power is more smooth. ZL1 has magnetic ride. 1LE was comfortable even without MRC.

My driving will be road course, autocross, country/canyon roads, mountain passes, long distance driving (400-2000 miles 2-5 per year) and daily jaunts to clear the brain.

Is the power in the ZL1 usable for my interests or too much?
Cant the 1LE be upgraded to ZL1 power output and keep its track agility?

Love both cars. Amazing handling,sound and driving experience. Would love a better interior.

Thanks!!!!
If money isnt the issue, IMO the ZL1 is the better buy.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #37
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Billy10mm has several posts on these forums that the 1LE is a better drivers car than a Zl1, as well as the fact that the 1LE is 90% of a C7. I think he is in the know that it won't be faster on a track, despite him being a "track junkie" (and despite the fact that he refuses to accept Chevy's times for both cars at VIR).

So, he has an opinion, can't argue with that. He's got a post that he has good seat time in a Zl1 . If everything was just about how a car "feels", people might prefer a Ford Focus or Mini Cooper. They both are way lighter than the 1le, and might feel better to lots of people. So, someone could reasonably post in a forum they prefer the Focus to the Zl1. For helping the original poster, it might be worth a little more of an explanation though then simply "take the 1lE every time" or that "many" track junkies that were prefer the 1LE. Doubt there are "many" who would pick the 1LE if they could have either car for free.

I'm sure he'll prefer his 1LE over the 2015 Z06 as well as a "track junkie" since he prefers Naturally Aspirated and would never want a super charged Z06. Valid opinion, and reasonable to write on a message board since he'll (likely) never have to actually choose the same price 1LE over a C7 Z06. He's fooling himself if he things "many" share the same opinion though.

Everyone has different opinions, makes the world go round. Some better explanation might be of use though.
For the greater part of a decade before I had children, I spent the vast majority of my weekends at the track with a group of friends I made as a member of the BMWCCA. I can tell you that with the circle of track buddies I ran with, most were not fond of forced induction. And while life has moved on, including me moving to another state, many of them moving to other states (my best friend now lives in Nebraska of all places), and other priorities requiring my hard-earned dollars; I still stay in touch with a few of them who stay in touch with others and we still talk BMWs and cars in general through the phone, email, and occasional visits. I can tell you that most of them would take a naturally aspirated car over a forced-induction car. Most of them in fact would take an E30 M3 over an E90 M3 and absolutely none of them want the new F80 M4 for a multitude of reasons. But again, I'm speaking of the people I run with, and I do recognize that we are, for lack of better word, eccentric.

"Many" as a term can mean "5" to some people, and "5,000,000" to others. But "only" means 1. And someone posted earlier that the "only" reason someone buys a 1LE over a ZL1 is cost. That is not true. I want to make clear that the ZL1 is a fantastic car. What you get for the money is an absolute mountain of value and performance - but its not the vehicle for me. In Porsche terms, the ZL1 is the 911 Turbo and the 1LE is the Carerra 2S. I take the 2S every time out - even if price is the same.

As far as the Z06 goes. Someday, auto manufacturers will truly lick the lag and heat soak that is currently still present in forced-induction applications. Clearly they have made leaps and bounds in the 20 years that I've been driving and I expect that in the next decade or so, we will truly see cars that can go all day at the track, in 100-degree ambients, with no noticeable loss of power due to heat soak. When that day comes, I will consider forced induction - but not until then. But the Z06 has a far bigger problem for me, one that no amount of money thrown at it will ever fix:

Whichever "fun" car I have, I have to be able to enjoy with at least both of my boys in the car. And when my wife wants to have fun in the car (that's her at Skip Barber in the below pic), typically we're all with her.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #38
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
I'm not as strongly opinionated about it as Billy is, but I too wouldn't pick a ZL1 over a 1LE even if they were the same price. I think the ZL1 is badass. It's a beautiful car and a master of all - dragstrip, road course, cruising, etc.. And I fully understand why most people would prefer it over any Camaro - Z28 included.
But I too prefer the NA power and lighter weight of the 1LE. And I prefer the looks. Besides, I've never seen anything indicating the ZL1 actually out handles a 1LE. The obvious reason the ZL1 beats a 1LE on most tracks is simply because it has an extra 154 horsepower.
If you were install LT's, CAI, a mild cam, and tune on a 1LE and put it on the same road course with the same driver as a ZL1 - I'd put my money on the 1LE coming out victor. And I'm talking stock suspension and tires on both. Just do a few engine mods to bring the 1LE up to roughly 475whp, more or less stock ZL1 range. That would be a fun comparison too see.
Granted the ZL1 is a BEAST bone stock. Has the beefier axles, better coolers, etc. that will likely hold up better long term vs the 1LE. And the ZL1 obviously has the big advantage of being so track dominating while retaining it's warranty.
But it would pretty much take a Z28 to get me out of my 1LE. Not a ZL1, not a regular C7, not a 911, not a GTR -none of these I would have picked over my car even at the same price. I think 1LE's are that good. I was truthfully relieved when I found out the Z28 was priced at $70K+. If I could have bought one for the $56K or so that the ZL1 costs, I would have likely bought one. But at $75k - it is without doubt beyond my budget. Thats just fine though. I couldn't be happier with my 1LE. And I'll admit, getting mine ordered from the factory for under $35K makes me an even bigger 1LE cheerleader.
Kong Ported Supercharger, Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body, Roto-fab Big Gulp CAI, Kooks 2" LT Headers, AWE 3" Touring Exhaust, Cordes Expansion Tank, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, MS Tuning -- 661whp & 684ftlbs

Last edited by rdrfronty; 11-01-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #39
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
The 1LE is 80% - 90% of the ZL1 for 2/3 the cost. Not a bad deal. BUT, stock for stock it will not beat a ZL1. PERIOD

Having said that, H-town Camaro club just raced on a track today and we had an excellent 1LE with us. (QuickSilver1LE) What made his 1LE freaking awesome among other things was the SUPERCHARGER that is in it. Truly a badass car.

You mentioned heatsoak, yes that is a problem with ANY car that is tracked. With the ZL1 yes it is a little more prevalent, but that can be fixed as well with a aftermarket intercooler, not a huge expense.

Both cars are awesome and I am glad GM built them.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #40
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
For the greater part of a decade before I had children, I spent the vast majority of my weekends at the track... And while life has moved on... other priorities requiring my hard-earned dollars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
...The Corvette has no back seat - which means I can't enjoy it with my kids. I don't care how fast it is, if I can't enjoy it my boys, it is useless to me.

The Z28 just isn't comfortable enough to drive daily and take on road trips... Did all of this in the Camaro - and while it would have been entirely possible in a Z/28 - it would not have been anywhere near as comfortable.

The ZL1.. It's a great car... I want it for the magnetic shocks more than anything else... But it just doesn't fit my needs and I find the 1LE to be more involving and more exciting for me...
Actually, it sounds like the ZL1 would better fit your needs if money isn't the deciding factor. A powerful daily driver that is comfortable for your family outings yet capable for the occasional track day.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 11-01-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #41
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I think this topic is getting overspun. After all, all of the models are cut from the same basic camaro. What we're dealing with is a choice between a group of options, performance levels and appearance. Arguing over it is academic IMO.

There is nothing wrong with choosing any level of camaro, regardless of cost or options.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Old 11-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #42
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
The 1LE is 80% - 90% of the ZL1 for 2/3 the cost. Not a bad deal. BUT, stock for stock it will not beat a ZL1. PERIOD

Having said that, H-town Camaro club just raced on a track today and we had an excellent 1LE with us. (QuickSilver1LE) What made his 1LE freaking awesome among other things was the SUPERCHARGER that is in it. Truly a badass car.

You mentioned heatsoak, yes that is a problem with ANY car that is tracked. With the ZL1 yes it is a little more prevalent, but that can be fixed as well with a aftermarket intercooler, not a huge expense.

Both cars are awesome and I am glad GM built them.
No the 1LE is 90% of the Z28 not the ZL1 just as Randy Pabst (pro driver) stated.

The Z28/1LE share a different formula than the ZL1.

They made the ZL1 too heavy with a soft suspension setting and an automatic available for the older crowd. The Z28/1LE are more aimed towards a road course with lighter weight, NA, stiff suspension, better gearing and better balance.

Last edited by CamaroTom; 11-01-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Closed Thread