Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #15
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
The Mustang guys on Youtube are drooling all over the Mustang 10 spd. Ive had more then a few heated debates with those meatheads.Looks like the Muatang 10 speed b
just edges out the 6th gen A8. So Im guessing the 10 spd in the Camaro is more then enough to close that very small gap.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #16
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
The Mustang guys on Youtube are drooling all over the Mustang 10 spd. Ive had more then a few heated debates with those meatheads.Looks like the Muatang 10 speed b
just edges out the 6th gen A8. So Im guessing the 10 spd in the Camaro is more then enough to close that very small gap.
Jury is still out on this one lmfao! I am anxiously awaiting a good fair mexico run a10 5.0 vs a10 ss both stock from a dig and a few rolls
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #17
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Jury is still out on this one lmfao! I am anxiously awaiting a good fair mexico run a10 5.0 vs a10 ss both stock from a dig and a few rolls
Ya I have been looking but nothing yet.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #18
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I've driven the SS 6spd, SS A8, 2018 Mustang GT 6spd, Mustang GT A10.
IMO: Camaro SS 6spd > Mustang GT 6spd. Just feels a bit better to me personally.

Mustang GT A10 > SS A8. I wasn't that impressed with the A8 in the Camaro. It was decent though. Drove a base GT A10 twice and thought it was really impressive. Fast shifting and usually in the right gear. No hunting. Very fast too. Played with the paddles shifters as well and was impressed there too. But honestly it's so good in D mode, I doubt I'd mess with the paddles.
But the new Mustangs have the annoying tick issue with a lot of engines. But if that SS A10 is anything like the A10 in the Mustang, I bet will be a nice improvement.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #19
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The A10 should be able to shave a few 10ths off the A8, but I wouldn't expect much more. If it shifts as fast as the A10 in the ZL1, then it might be more, but they aren't the same units. Gearing wise, it has a small advantage:

As for the A8 (minus the TC "shudder" issue that GM is still working on a fix for come Q1 2019) I think its pretty great. Under light to medium loads, and downshifting a manual shift can feel slow, but I don't get the complains about shift speed under WOT conditions. My opinion it shifts very fast when your getting on it.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #20
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
FYI - here is what Automobile magazine just published about their take on the Mustang GT with the A10:

"Sadly, the new 10-speed automatic transmission is a mixed bag. Most of the time, when just cruising along in the Normal drive mode, the 10-speed shifts almost imperceptibly smoothly—except when it doesn’t. Occasionally when you try to put some power down to pass, or moving away from a stop, you’ll get an oddly rough shift or two.

Similarly unreliable is the transmission’s performance in Sport + mode, where it will generally hold gears for longer, avoid the top four gears and provide predictive downshifts when slowing for corners. Sometimes the new transmission does this all pretty well, but other times it acts confused, not downshifting at all under heavy braking or holding gears under steady-state throttle.

Manually operated downshifts are also a little more sluggish than we feel they should be, sometimes appearing slower than auto downshifts.

We believe all pony cars are just more engaging with a manual transmission, but understand the advantages of an automatic transmission for many people. Even so, if you’re on the fence between an auto or a manual, we’d recommend the latter until Ford improves its new 10-speed’s programing."

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #21
lewisd

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
we’d recommend the latter until Ford improves its new 10-speed’s programing."
Is the programming something that's 100% independent between Ford and GM with this transmission? If that's the case (I think it is?) then unfortunately this tells us nothing about how the A10 will be in the SS.
Past stable:
2016 Camaro 2SS (8AT, NPP Dual Mode Exhaust, Magride, sunroof, Summit White, black metallic center stripe, Adrenaline Red interior trim)
1990 Mazda Miata (too many mods to list)
1988 Mazda 323 Wagon (With 323 GTX motor!)
1987 Monte Carlo SS (Grey on grey, gunmetal-grey painted GTA wheels, lowered, dual exhaust, and much more)
2006 Subaru Impreza
1981 G20 Van (3-tone brown, shag/velvet interior)
lewisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #22
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisd View Post
Is the programming something that's 100% independent between Ford and GM with this transmission? If that's the case (I think it is?) then unfortunately this tells us nothing about how the A10 will be in the SS.
True. I just shared the article for that for that reason - its all about the software these days when it comes to engine and tranny performance.

FWIW I have driven a ZL1 A10 more than once. That tranny is superb! Lets all hope the GM engineers who programmed that tranny also programmed this new one.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #23
lewisd

Quote:
True. I just shared the article for that for that reason - its all about the software these days when it comes to engine and tranny performance.

FWIW I have driven a ZL1 A10 more than once. That tranny is superb! Lets all hope the GM engineers who programmed that tranny also programmed this new one.
So I've heard! That's what I have my fingers crossed for!
Past stable:
2016 Camaro 2SS (8AT, NPP Dual Mode Exhaust, Magride, sunroof, Summit White, black metallic center stripe, Adrenaline Red interior trim)
1987 Monte Carlo SS (Grey on grey, gunmetal-grey painted GTA wheels, lowered, dual exhaust, and much more)
2006 Subaru Impreza
Old 10-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #24
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I've driven the SS 6spd, SS A8, 2018 Mustang GT 6spd, Mustang GT A10.
IMO: Camaro SS 6spd > Mustang GT 6spd. Just feels a bit better to me personally.

Mustang GT A10 > SS A8. I wasn't that impressed with the A8 in the Camaro. It was decent though. Drove a base GT A10 twice and thought it was really impressive. Fast shifting and usually in the right gear. No hunting. Very fast too. Played with the paddles shifters as well and was impressed there too. But honestly it's so good in D mode, I doubt I'd mess with the paddles.
But the new Mustangs have the annoying tick issue with a lot of engines. But if that SS A10 is anything like the A10 in the Mustang, I bet will be a nice improvement.
I get your point on feel, I drove both before I ordered mine. I went with the A8. If you let it shift and not use the paddles it is very fast in track mod.

Remember feel is one thing, results are another. GM rates the A8 auto about a half a second faster then the manual in the SS. I've seen the results up close pairing the two in a race, auto hands down
The manual is a good road course car or if you just like to shift gears.

I wish GM would release the factory specs on 0-60 and 1/4 mile on the SS with the new A10, it should be really fast!
Old 10-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #25
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
FYI - here is what Automobile magazine just published about their take on the Mustang GT with the A10:

"Sadly, the new 10-speed automatic transmission is a mixed bag. Most of the time, when just cruising along in the Normal drive mode, the 10-speed shifts almost imperceptibly smoothly—except when it doesn’t. Occasionally when you try to put some power down to pass, or moving away from a stop, you’ll get an oddly rough shift or two.

Similarly unreliable is the transmission’s performance in Sport + mode, where it will generally hold gears for longer, avoid the top four gears and provide predictive downshifts when slowing for corners. Sometimes the new transmission does this all pretty well, but other times it acts confused, not downshifting at all under heavy braking or holding gears under steady-state throttle.

Manually operated downshifts are also a little more sluggish than we feel they should be, sometimes appearing slower than auto downshifts.

We believe all pony cars are just more engaging with a manual transmission, but understand the advantages of an automatic transmission for many people. Even so, if you’re on the fence between an auto or a manual, we’d recommend the latter until Ford improves its new 10-speed’s programing."
I don't know what car they drove. I test drove the '18 A10 GT extensively. The A10 is awesome. It shifts fast as hell and was very smooth. It feels pretty torquey too. And if you step on it, it takes off like a raped ape. Felt noticeably quicker than the '18 6spd PP I test drove back to back.

It's the other stuff going on with the Mustang that's not good....engine ticks..etc. But the Camaro A8 has the the shudder too on many.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:35 AM   #26
lewisd

Does the A10 in the 2019 SS keep in different gears based on drive mode? I know with the A8, switching between tour/sport/track doesn't make it stick to lower gears, but I drove a 2017 (I think) Mustang GT rental, and switching to sport or sport+ or something made it downshift, and just generally use lower gears. I really liked that. I'm hoping the A10 in the SS does that too.
Past stable:
2006 Subaru Impreza
Old 11-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #27
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisd View Post
Does the A10 in the 2019 SS keep in different gears based on drive mode? I know with the A8, switching between tour/sport/track doesn't make it stick to lower gears, but I drove a 2017 (I think) Mustang GT rental, and switching to sport or sport+ or something made it downshift, and just generally use lower gears. I really liked that. I'm hoping the A10 in the SS does that too.
It will behave just like the A8 does.

By the way...it does hold lower gears...you just have to let it know you want to play (step on the gas!).
Old 11-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #28
lewisd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
It will behave just like the A8 does.
Is this based on your experience with the A10, or speculation? I've heard enough things it does differently that I'd like facts not speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
By the way...it does hold lower gears...you just have to let it know you want to play (step on the gas!).
If you're talking about the "performance shift mode activated" or whatever that you get when flooring the pedal for a moment, I know about that, and it's completely different than what I'm talking about. I use it on the highway occasionally when I'm getting ready to pass.

If I'm doing relatively normal city driving, and not flooring it off the line every time a light goes green (oh hi cops, look at me!) then by the time I get to 60km/hr it's in 5th gear already and I van barely hear the car, even with the exhaust in track mode. I didn't buy a V8 to not hear it!

Contrast this with the Mustang rental I had, where when it's put into sport+ mode, it holds onto lower gears longer, so I get to hear some nice V8 engine sounds, even when driving normally around town.

I saw some reference (I don't remember where) to the A10 downshifting when switching from tour to sport mode, which is what got me wondering about this.
Past stable:
2006 Subaru Impreza