Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15RS2NV View Post
I love my RS Camaro, that being said, I’m wanting more and more power. Now, with a V6, I am limited, especially on the LFX.

I’m finding myself wanting to trade up for a V8. But to have 455 hp for $10-20k more when I can get a twin turbo for $7k doesn’t seem logical. If I HAD to replace the car due to being totaled I’d go for the ZL1. But my wife would kill me if I changed my mind after 2 months of having this car. Lol

What should I do, and why? If I should go V8, give reasons. If V6, again why?

If you are speaking street,

You can learn how to drive your V6 Camaro and put higher powered car owners to shame. You have the brakes and handling on a par and if you increase your skills to match the vehicle you can find very satisfactory results.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Have you looked at a used 14-15 SS? The price difference between that and a comparable LT is more in the $8k range. I have an LFX and am happy with it, but if you want more power, an SS V-8 is a much better starting platform for that.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #17
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozarioorlan View Post
^^^ What they said.

As of right now, the only option for forced induction for the V6 is the Overkill supercharger which starts at about $6000 and can go up to $7000. Assuming you went full bolt ons for the V6 you would sit around 300-315whp. Supercharger can bring that up to 375-425whp and stage two can be closer to around 450whp (more HP than an SS) assuming you had some minor bolt ons (ported intake manifold, 80mm throttle body, etc.). You would still get nice gas milage and have a quick, fun, reliable car.

The SS would be a different story and is whole new monster especially if you were to do similar mods. For power, V8 is always the answer and I am sure we would all go that route if we could. It just comes down to if you can swing the extra money, want a lot more power, gas milage, etc.
A stage 2 isn’t need to “make more power than an SS” if the stg 1 makes 375-425rwhp.

Op, I’d just keep your v6 and enjoy it. Add a ported Tb, CAI, and call it a day. Did those on wife’s v6 and it was plenty
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #18
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
It sounds like you have already talked yourself into the V8. I was in the EXACT same scenario. In 2016 I bought a 2013 V6, by 2017 I sold it and bought a 2013 SS. It cost me about $6,000 to buy up to the V8. My advise is learn from my mistake and by the V8 first (too late for that) so you should drive it while you got it but search constantently online for a good deal on a V8. What you will spend on a twin turbo kit you can get into a V8. Also nobody thinks about when you add major mods to a car like a twin turbo kit more often than not it will hurt your resale value. Stuff like that tells me as the next buyer that this guy was out driving it hard stoplight to stoplight.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
For what it’s worth I just got into my 2SS/RS with 52,000 miles for about 18. The prices of the V8 cars have come down a bit over the last few years. I watched for 2 years off and on before I pulled the trigger on my car. Good deals are out there it’s always just a matter of being able to jump on them when they show up.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #20
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
Have you looked at a used 14-15 SS? The price difference between that and a comparable LT is more in the $8k range. I have an LFX and am happy with it, but if you want more power, an SS V-8 is a much better starting platform for that.

That’s exactly what I did. Bought my 15 SS vert for $25k out the door two years ago. Very happy with the car and the deal and could never justify a newer one with the LT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #21
Yellow Bullet

Drives: 2017 Chevy Sonic RS 1.4T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
It sounds like you have already talked yourself into the V8. I was in the EXACT same scenario. In 2016 I bought a 2013 V6, by 2017 I sold it and bought a 2013 SS. It cost me about $6,000 to buy up to the V8. My advise is learn from my mistake and by the V8 first (too late for that) so you should drive it while you got it but search constantently online for a good deal on a V8. What you will spend on a twin turbo kit you can get into a V8. Also nobody thinks about when you add major mods to a car like a twin turbo kit more often than not it will hurt your resale value. Stuff like that tells me as the next buyer that this guy was out driving it hard stoplight to stoplight.
I fell to this same trap, I learned the hard way to save for the vehicle I REALLY want and save some money while I'm at it. OP, drive the car( appreciate it for what it is) and dont mod it but buy a V8 later. I get it that some people want fast V6's to make a point, but V8's not only are better platforms, but hold their value better for later endeavors.

2017 Sonic Mosaic Black RS 1.4T
Yellow Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #22
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post

List on my '11 was $8K between a 1LT and a 1SS. Depreciation shrinks that difference. The SS has better brakes and handling, 20" wheels with P-Zeros standard, instead of only with the RS, more cooling (of course), a stronger drive line, and more. So that $8K isn't all motor.

Best to trade ASAP. If your dealer is good they might give you as much as you paid towards the SS. They already have their profit and they are still going to add a charge for the papers.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #23
Bill Fraley

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT 6-SPD
I am new here, and new to Camaros. But, I have owned a few fast cars. The best advice there is, is if you want the most performance, start with the platform that has the most potential.

In other words, dont buy the V6 and try to make it as fast as the V8 in this case. It is an uphill battle to say the least. I bought a V6 Camaro because I already have two other high performing V8 vehicles and I needed something a bit more efficient as my daily driver.

Of course, this isn't always a case of buying the fastest from the factory either. I have a 2017 F150 with the 5.0 V8. The 3.5 EcoBoost is slightly faster. However, the 5.0 is one supercharger away from annihilating that 3.5 Eco. The Roush performance package bumps the 5.0 to 650HP. No matter how much you spend on the 3.5 V6, the V8 always has more potential. The old saying that there is no replacement for displacement is still true.

I guess my point is that you should get the engine that works best for your needs and future plans. If I decide I want a faster Camaro, this one will be replaced with a V8.

Doing a few mods to make an engine breath and perform more optimally is perfectly fine to me. But spending a ton of money to "catch up" is where I think you are wasting your money and time. To each their own though. Do what you want, not what others tell you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Bill Fraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #24
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Appreciate the feedback guys.

My Camaro is a daily driver but I take it to the track. I guess I'll just enjoy it as is. In the future, I'll trade up to an SS or ZL1.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #25
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have Camaro SS now, but in the past, I've had a lot of fun with cars that are less powerful! In fact, my Camaro is too powerful for anything that could be called sane driving on the street. It has to be on the drag strip to be unleashed. I'm pretty sure my next fun car will be a step down in power.

One of the best street cars I ever owned was a Z-24 Cavalier with a 240hp V6, a 5 speed manual, and low profile tires. So I endorse the idea of learning to enjoy the car you have in the appropriate setting.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #26
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I have Camaro SS now, but in the past, I've had a lot of fun with cars that are less powerful! In fact, my Camaro is too powerful for anything that could be called sane driving on the street. It has to be on the drag strip to be unleashed. I'm pretty sure my next fun car will be a step down in power.

One of the best street cars I ever owned was a Z-24 Cavalier with a 240hp V6, a 5 speed manual, and low profile tires. So I endorse the idea of learning to enjoy the car you have in the appropriate setting.
This is what Im Saying. My SS has to be babied and driven a specific way due to the power on the street. My wife’s v6 with couple small mods had no issues at all. We even tracked it. Since op has a v6 I see no reason to move up especially if a DD and the bath probably take on trading it in. Ve is a fun car, people just gonna hate and make him second guess himself
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #27
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I’ll be “that guy” for a second, don’t impulse cars. If it’s not exactly what you want 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years later don’t buy it just because it’s there.

That being said, a twin turbo V6 will surprise a lot of people even though a twin turbo V8 will decimate even more. There’s a lot more available for performance upgrades on a V8.

Good luck on your choice and good luck with the wife!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #28
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post

I had a brand new z/24 in 1989. 5speed. It was a great car ....but hardly anywhere near my Camaro....didn't it have Goodyear Eagle Gt+4s. I loved that car and street raced it all the time.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote