Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
SammyDog

Drives: 2018 Zl1 Vert A10
Mustang GT with 10 speed creeping up to the the ZL1

Today Car and Driver online has a piece on the two Mustangs with the new 10 speed, similar to our own transmission.

First of all, they are not impressed with the Ford A10 during spirited driving. Ford and GM both worked on it but I don't know what the differences are. I love mine for sure - no regrets.

Scroll down to the V8 model. The weight of the GT coupe is 3851 lb.

I can't help but to notice how quick that sucker is in a straight line. I know, I know, this is not what the ZL1 is about. For one thing I own a convertible so straight line is not my thing. Nonetheless that GT coupe gets mighty close to the ZL1 LE and vert auto with 200 fewer hp and torque (stick in one case and weight in the other enter into the equation of course, but even the coupe auto!). What gives? traction would be my guess. I admit I have not compared the other numbers, but they don't appear to be too far apart either if I recall. The skidpad # of the GT is sharply lower than the LE and the Coupe ZL1.

I realize that these are just numbers on paper, but nonetheless. The law of diminishing returns seems to be at play here. I have owned a few Mustang GTs back in the day. It has gone a long way for sure.
SammyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
We had a '17 Mustang GT Performance Pack prior to our ZL1, and drove an '18 GT Performance Pack with the A10. We were considering trading up to a '19 GT next year sometime, but picked up the ZL1 with only 2700 miles for a good deal, and not much more than we would have paid for a new '19 Mustang GT Performance Pack with the options we wanted.

There's no comparison, at least not stock to stock. The Mustang is good, flat out from a stop. There's no question the A10 works really well with the Coyote. In regular driving however, the lack of torque has the trans constantly shifting around looking for torque.

If you track the car (we do), again, the ZL1 will leave the Mustang in the dust.

Also, the interior and infotainment is better on the ZL1. The only thing the Mustang did better was have a bigger glove box. And it was Grabber Blue... we do miss that color!
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyDog View Post
Today Car and Driver online has a piece on the two Mustangs with the new 10 speed, similar to our own transmission.

First of all, they are not impressed with the Ford A10 during spirited driving. Ford and GM both worked on it but I don't know what the differences are. I love mine for sure - no regrets.

Scroll down to the V8 model. The weight of the GT coupe is 3851 lb.

I can't help but to notice how quick that sucker is in a straight line. I know, I know, this is not what the ZL1 is about. For one thing I own a convertible so straight line is not my thing. Nonetheless that GT coupe gets mighty close to the ZL1 LE and vert auto with 200 fewer hp and torque (stick in one case and weight in the other enter into the equation of course, but even the coupe auto!). What gives? traction would be my guess. I admit I have not compared the other numbers, but they don't appear to be too far apart either if I recall. The skidpad # of the GT is sharply lower than the LE and the Coupe ZL1.

I realize that these are just numbers on paper, but nonetheless. The law of diminishing returns seems to be at play here. I have owned a few Mustang GTs back in the day. It has gone a long way for sure.

Keep in mind that with all the HP and TQ on the ZL1, 0-60 times are traction limited. After 60, I would imagine that the ZL1 makes bigger strides when all the power can be applied to the ground. For example, a highway pull would be night and day difference I would think. Think of the new Porsche boxsters, they have incredible 0-60 times, but what if you raced one on the highway? or past 60? They would get destroyed.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Looks like it was a tenth and 2 MPH faster in the quarter than the Camaro SS with the A10 (12.1 vs 12.2). I wouldn’t say that’s close to a ZL1. At least a comparable one like an A10 Coupe.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
As long as you enjoy track days one lap at a time and 2 for cool down

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
It should get closer and closer. Heat on your tail is good. Makes GM produce faster cars in the future. Imagine if no one made any progress? We would still be in the 275 HP era.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Drove a couple Mustang GT A10s. For a street car for the $ (base auto dealer was going to sell for $31,500), at almost $30K less than a ZL1, it's an awesome value if you don't have ZL1 money to spend.

I'm sure the ZL1 will feel a bit faster and torqueyer (if that's a word). But the GT felt like it had plenty of low end grunt in the A10 as well. The Recaros in the ZL1 are better (I've tried them out in the 1LE) than any Mustang seats as they should be for the price.

Unfortunately the Mustang forum is now littered with people having issues with rough shifting in the A10 after accumulating miles and the engine tick/piston slap.

I'm curious what the numbers will be with the A10 in the '19 SS. I'm sure it will be on par with the Mustang.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyDog View Post
What gives? traction would be my guess.
You're on the right track. IMO, it's two things:

1. Chevy's Torque Management holds back the ZL1. They got a little too rambunctious with TM in our cars, so they don't launch nearly as hard as the GT. It's not traction. The more traction you get, the more the car bogs.

2. The GT's high rev limit means fewer shifts during the quarter mile.

So yeah we get a warranty that covers track use ... and the cost is a couple tenths in the 1/4.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #9
Mr Carrots

Drives: Bmw for now
Whipple Stage 2 that A10 and the Zl1 will be so far behind on the straight it's not funny. 10.3 on pump gas for a 40k ish package is insane

I love the ZL1 but chevy really skimped on the stock blower, for the money this car should be in the 10s, not mid 11s
Mr Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post

I love the ZL1 but chevy really skimped on the stock blower, for the money this car should be in the 10s, not mid 11s
Well, it was designed for the track, not the strip...
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
DiGiam

Drives: 2016 NFG SS A8
Quote:
Whipple Stage 2 that A10 and the Zl1 will be so far behind on the straight it's not funny. 10.3 on pump gas for a 40k ish package is insane

That game has been played since the beginning of racing. Many cars can be bought for less and made faster. Doesnt mean you have a better car. by your logic we should all go buy a fox body or f-body and run 8's for 30-40k.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
Bill_76

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2018
Quote:

The life does not finish in a 1/4 of a mile, a car is not only the acceleration...brakes? cornering? Hopefully, American car factories started to understand that...and now we can drive a complete car like the ZL1/ Mustang GT350. I'm a former Mustang owner and actually have the ZL1 and one of the best cornering cars (Cayman GT4), so I base my response on my experience

Last edited by Bill_76; 11-09-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Bill_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
The new A10 Mustang is a great car but not in the league of the ZL1.

Modifications take all bets off the table. The ZL1 with a few grand will easily manage 700-750 RWHP, putting you at say an out the door price of $75,000 for a mid 10 second car that drives like stock and thrashes a road course. Put a blower on the Mustang and yes you're spending less and if you're ONLY concerned about the quarter mile, it won't be bad. However, what you're getting with the ZL1 is superior handling, brakes, chassis, tires, interior, styling, and it's not a mustang .

This is ignoring a big point - if you only care about quarter mile times, then a ZL1 and Mustang GT are BOTH very stupid cars to start with. If you want a fast GT car, ZL1. If you want a poor mans fast GT car, Mustang GT. Now the GT500 will be a monster, of that I have no doubt.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #14
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
A GT is a pretty good value, but no competition for a ZL1. I'm assuming the OP is only referring to 0-60 times, because a GT is nowhere near a ZL1 in any other acceleration metric. And in rwd 0-60, there's only so fast your gonna get with a normal car on average surfaces.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote