Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #43
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Nope... the 10L90 holds a ton of power.

There's also no comparison between the Ford truck A10 and what they did with this one for the ZL1. Two different animals for different purposes. I can't wait to get an A10 in my truck. The A6 currently in the Silverados sucks.
OMG What he said...I replaced my stock wheel with one from a raptor that has paddle shifters and was in utter disbelief how different the two A10 are programed. I should have known better, but I really thought it would at least be fun to paddle shift a 500 tq truck....at best felt like a A8.
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #44
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
Why was it replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The idiot who built it installed the main seal backwards. Mechanically sound just leaked fluid.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #45
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Just got my latest issue of C&D. They've got a comparison of the new 2019 Aston Martin Vantage (automatic), 2018 Mercedes AMG GTC (automatic), 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 (manual). Prices range from $150,000 to $190,000. Guess which one won the comparison?
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:07 PM   #46
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
I test drove the ZL1 A10 before buying my ZL1 1LE.

My plan was.
1) If the 1LE was just too bumpy, get the ZL1 (Non-1LE)
2) If the ZL1 A10 was less than mind blowing, get the ZL1 M6.

Well the 1LE was pretty darned bumpy but I liked it.

As for the A10, its mind blowing if you're coming from the previous gen A8 or A6.
But it still doesn't feel like a Twin Clutch paddle shifter in a GTR.
Granted it shifts far faster than I can manually, but its not about fast, its about feel for me. If I row my own, everything is happening right now as I feel it even though it takes longer the feedback is instant. However the A10 -- while incredible for a centrifugal clutch still lacks that instant feedback. I also found that 10spd was too many gears for manual clicking, I often needed to double down shift and I do believe I can manual-shift skipping 2 gears faster.

So in the end, I think the A10 is definitely faster, especially if you let the car do everything. Great for drag strip or track and daily driving. For me it just was not as fun.

No regrets getting sticking with the Manual.
Like its been said before, you're either a manual guy or your not.

There is one silly advantage to the M6.
When you're rolling down the freeway and that 12 year old in the car next to you gets super excited and begs you gas it. In the M6, clutch in and gas it = loud silly noise. But in the A10, you have to rear end the car in front of you (or put it in neutral which is TERRIBLE for your transmission).

My $0.02

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #47
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

The 6th gen ZL1 it's an amazing car and it's great with either transmission (something that the Corvette C7 can not match with their below avg. 7 speed manual and A8 imperfect auto transmissions).
When Randy Pobst for MT tested both ZL1 transmissions at the track, his official lap time was better on the manual transmission time that was posted, but later that day he noticed that the tire's PSI on the auto ZL1 were wrong, he set them correctly, and guess what, his time was better on the automatic transmission ZL1, but it was late to officially post it, all measuring MT and cameras had been removed at that time.
Personally I have been a sticker rower at the track for a long time on my prior '02 Porsche Carrera and on my prior '11 Mustang GT 5.0 and enjoyed the hell of it while rowing their 6 speed transmission on the street. Only was upset because my short drive 3.73 was slower off the line compared to the same auto 5.0 that I competed to on just straight line racing on the curves they couldn't match me, even that everybody that I know told me that I perfectly shifted just reaching the redline most of the time, until someone on the Mustang forum explained to me that the human performed shifting will never match a faster instant electronic shifting done by modern automatic transmissions, and they where correct.
I was on the lookout for a 5th gen Camaro and drove a manual transmission SS 1LE and also a manual ZL1 and both stock out of the packet were a joy to drive even compared to my modified suspension 5.0 which I loved.
But then my wife started bitching me that she hated the clutch and shifters, and just to please her I got a beautiful automatic 5th gen ZL1, thinking that at least with the S.C. engine I was going to compensate for the loss of the driving involvement of the shifter and afterwards another automatic transmission car came in a Corvette Stingray Z51 which overheated its automatic transmission at the track. No it was not the same driving involvement I really miss the manual transmission addictive feeling. I have drove a Ferrari 460 and Lamborghini Gallardo at the track both have super fast automatic transmission paddle shifters, and probably GM's A10 is very close on performance compared to the perfect PDK that has proven that Porsches are faster on PDKs, but there is NOTHING compared to the Sport car manual transmission driving involvement satisfaction.
Even MT writers say "save the manual transmissions"
One day for sure I would go back to a manual transmission 6th gen Camaro SS 1LE or to the perfect weapon ZL1.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 11-03-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #48
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
I'm very old school about this issue. I never drove an A10, but l'm sure it's a great trans for street and drag. If the ZLE would have had an A10, l still would have gone with the M6.

Of all the performance cars l've owned, the ZLE trans is, IMHO, the best manual in a very long time. It handles a ton of torque, has a beautiful ratio spread, and shifts very well with the stock linkage.

I love the ability to shift myself. The new autos are nice, but it seems as though we're losing the skills of performance driving with autos. More and more like a video game. I don't drag or street race...and never will, but l enjoy the mountain roads, and even simple street driving the ZLE offers.

If l would have designed this car, l would have stuck with the Torsen/3.91 rear from my '15 Z/28, as that rear with this trans would have been the absolute ultimate combo. I don't know why GM changed to this e-lsd unit...but l predict eventual issues, both software & hardware related.

Still love this car...and love the ratios in my trans...it's like old days with an M21 or M22, but with 2 extra gears...
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #49
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #50
Lowflight

Drives: 2018 ZL1
If I nitpick:

I wish the A10 Manual shifts were as fast and crisp as my BMW M5

Sometimes, I wish I had a manual to row the gears because I hardly drive my car.

That being said, the A10 is an amazing transmission, seamless and fun. I give it a 9.25 out of 10 and don't regret it.

2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1 Red
FOR SALE. See My FS Thread
Lowflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #51
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I have about 6,000 miles on mine now and still no regrets. I bought it because I wanted to take it to a couple road courses. In fully automatic it shift so fast on the track. If I want to mess around I put it in manual mode. Being an auto it is also nice for driving around town.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:49 PM   #52
SLO

Drives: Slo'ly
Do I miss rowing gears? Heck yeah..... some of the time haha.

I also miss the engaged feeling even from a stop light. But... Do I regret it? No way. I read about the A10 and this is the first of my vehicles to have an auto, does everything I read and hoped for.
SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #53
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
After a season of driving the A10, and previously only owning manuals, I officially know I made the right choice. The M6 is a blast to drive, the active rev match is insanely fun to mess with and the ability to rev it in traffic etc. is what it's all about . That said, for speed, the A10 is an animal. At WOT the shifts are quick, smooth, and just rough enough to let you know you ain't in a 'Benz.

My A10 Gripes:
SOMETIMES behaves weirdly for the first <5 miles when cold. (Jerky shifts, searches a bit)
The manual downshifts are not like a DCT or manual. They're rev matched but not aggressively except the 2-1 downshift which got some unwanted attention from a LEO before.

Other than the downshifts and the ability to not rev the car whenever you feel like it, I love the A10. I still have plenty of manual cars.

Can't go wrong with this car. That's the honest truth. Don't get the M6 to go drag racing though.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #54
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
After a season of driving the A10, and previously only owning manuals, I officially know I made the right choice. The M6 is a blast to drive, the active rev match is insanely fun to mess with and the ability to rev it in traffic etc. is what it's all about . That said, for speed, the A10 is an animal. At WOT the shifts are quick, smooth, and just rough enough to let you know you ain't in a 'Benz.

My A10 Gripes:
SOMETIMES behaves weirdly for the first <5 miles when cold. (Jerky shifts, searches a bit)
The manual downshifts are not like a DCT or manual. They're rev matched but not aggressively except the 2-1 downshift which got some unwanted attention from a LEO before.

Other than the downshifts and the ability to not rev the car whenever you feel like it, I love the A10. I still have plenty of manual cars.

Can't go wrong with this car. That's the honest truth. Don't get the M6 to go drag racing though.
I know this is a A10 Regret thread, but I can say I have the M6 and I have some small regrets NOT getting the A10 sometimes. I love the M6 but I think it would be fun like "the old days" of a big V8 with an auto and just mashing it and let it do its thing.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:58 AM   #55
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Daily drive my A10
13kmiles now
Drove manual for 25 years
This A10 is a F... beast
Absolutely no regret
Won’t go back
Need to race it legally on a track now...
Did 170 on small roads : what a platform and a trans!!!!!!

And this high perf mode...( when you hit the floor or with lateral G in a turn at the corner speed) still keep high rpm when you need it!!!!
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:13 PM   #56
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

My A10 Gripes:

That is really weird. I have never observed or encountered the concerns that you described about the A10. If you want firmer down shifts go into the Performace Driving Application & slect Dry, Sport 1, Sport 2 Etc. Are you using the paddles to upshift while cold?