#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #57
shaftwhy

Drives: ZL1 Finally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflight View Post
I am selling mine simply because I don't drive it enough. I literally only have one complaint, you can't see out of the car. I don't care what anyone says, it is aggravating. My wife refuses to drive it.

That being said, every car has something negative. That is not why I am selling.

Not even getting anything to replace it for a while. Wife wants a Trackhawk. That's fine with me this time next year.
Forward visibility or rearward visibility?
shaftwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #58
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
I feel your struggle brother! That is why I got the A10 over the 6 speed!
But no fun factor in the A10. I live outside of Houston tx and refuse to buy my Zl1 or Z06 in auto.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #59
590_The_Judge

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE NGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
I feel your struggle brother! That is why I got the A10 over the 6 speed!
I missed the manual in the toy i built (91 mustang), and got the zle as a track weapon / daily. It does everything my mustang did, iust a little bit better, and with much nicer creature comforts.
590_The_Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #60
Bye Bye Bye

Drives: 17 Camaro ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
But no fun factor in the A10. I live outside of Houston tx and refuse to buy my Zl1 or Z06 in auto.
Amen - M6!
I know the A10 will kick my ass, but that manual makes me happy every time, not to mention the rev matching is nothing short of awesome! I can see how the M6 as a DD could get old fast, but this is a toy for me, and I had to have it as a manual.

Why would someone get rid of a ZL1, because outside of being used as a fun car it's just not an easy DD. I'm sure if you compare all of the other vehicles that have similar performance your probability of finding similar complaints (vision, blind spots, long doors, etc..) is quite high.
Bye Bye Bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #61
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 18' ZL1 A10
Put mine up for sale because I couldn't resist putting 15K miles a year on her even as a 4th vehicle. Along with 8K a year on tires, not to mention pads and rotors. For those of you who are afraid to drive the car in the rain, I don't understand unless it's a 1LE, even so just swap for street tires. It's not like the car is going to melt! I think driving in the rain with traction fully off is about as much fun as you're going to have at LEGAL speeds on the street. You will learn a lot about how the car handles. Man I wish we got more rain in CA!

As far as having your wife drive the car occasionally that's a tough one. Unless she is a real "car girl" she will likely scrape the splitter and curb the wheels and be afraid of damaging your toy making for an unenjoyable experience. My wife is tall and a decent driver plus I bought the A10 so I thought she might enjoy it but nope "I can't see out of this damn thing" was all I heard the only time she drove it. Although those who are worried about the power being too much for her that really is not the issue. ZL1 comes with a super dumbed down throttle response from the factory and if you keep all the nannies on it's pretty hard to get yourself in trouble unless you're very foolish.

As for all the A10 haters saying "it's boring." Have you driven the A10? Because it's not really comparable to GM's A8 in the C7. If you avoid triple digit speeds on the street and enjoy changing gears the A10 is almost a no brainer. I can see if you only have 1 sports car wanting it to be a manual but if you've got a couple I'd say the A10 really suits the car, especially for street driving. If it's purely a track toy I'd go M6 though. Just my opinion but I think the more power a car has the less sense a manual trans starts to make.

I haven't driven all the DCT's out there but I have driven Porsche's PDK which is suppose to be just about the best out there and I might be in the minority that actually enjoys GM's A10 more, at least on the street. The dual clutch trannies are so seamless when they shift I think it takes some of the fun away. I really like the drama you get from upshifts on the A10 granted the DCT is probably better for downshifts. The speeds at which these transmissions shift is already so fast I don't see how the difference could be perceivable to a normal person. You can notice the time between when you pull the paddle and when the transmission actually starts to shift is still better with DCT being near instantaneous but the A10 is the best auto I've driven in this regard especially compared to the A8 from GM and anything from FCA.

Driving a new GT3 or a ZL1 with DCT (maybe next gen) could change my mind though...
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #62
[BlueDevil]

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE HBM
I daily my ZL1 1LE =) My daughter and I both Love it.
[BlueDevil] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:51 PM   #63
NM-ZR1

Quote:
I am selling mine simply because I don't drive it enough. I literally only have one complaint, you can't see out of the car. I don't care what anyone says, it is aggravating. My wife refuses to drive it.

That being said, every car has something negative. That is not why I am selling.

Not even getting anything to replace it for a while. Wife wants a Trackhawk. That's fine with me this time next year.
If you like the performance of the ZL1 no doubt you will love the Trackhawk. Its a shame GM never updated and re-released the Trailblazer SS. There is nothing to fill that void in the GM line.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #64
NM-ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post

I think I can see both sides of that argument, my ZR1 has a manual, the ZL1 is an A10, it depends on my mood as to which I prefer to drive at the time. Personally I like both, each has it's good points. One thing is for sure, my wife would never consider driving my ZR1, she has expressed interest in driving the Camaro.

Now all I need to do is to figure out how to set up the car where it wont kill her. Guess I need to read up on the teen mode. lol
Old 10-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #65
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-ZR1 View Post
Now all I need to do is to figure out how to set up the car where it wont kill her.
Snow/ice mode.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:19 AM   #66
smokinzx14r

Drives: 2018 1SS
Funny thing .. When I was picking up my new 2018 SS there was a guy trading in his 2018 ZL1 ..I looked at the car and it was trashed , dirty , carpet worn out on the drives side , tires worn out .. It had 800 miles on it !! It looked like it had 200,000 miles on it .. Who does that to a new car ?
smokinzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #67
Lowflight

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
Forward visibility or rearward visibility?
Rear for sure. You have no choice but to trust the camera backing out of a parking space. It is unsettling.

Side vision is a little annoying, but not a safety issue like the rear and rear quarters.The front is fine, however, I can't judge the front spoiler distance from the curb for s**t. I have been driving Corvettes since 1991. I could always learn the spot to stop without seeing the nose, but this car, I can't trust the distance. I haven't hit the spoiler at all, but I park WAY from the curb lol

2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1 Red
FOR SALE. See My FS Thread
Lowflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #68
Lowflight

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-ZR1 View Post
If you like the performance of the ZL1 no doubt you will love the Trackhawk. Its a shame GM never updated and re-released the Trailblazer SS. There is nothing to fill that void in the GM line.
My wife dailys a 2007 White, loaded Trailblazer SS. We had one when they came out and put 180,000 miles on it. She wanted another as a grocery getter and something to put around town because she works from home. I found one after searching with 49k miles on it. Looks like new inside and out. Paid too much, BUT, good luck finding one with under 100k miles period these days. They hold their value as well. Had a friend offer me what I paid, a few months ago. He found a 1SS with 69k miles eventually. It is the best vehicle for the least amount of money around IMHO. If you can find a decent example.

2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1 Red
FOR SALE. See My FS Thread
Lowflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:32 AM   #69
shaftwhy

Drives: ZL1 Finally
Quote:
Rear for sure. You have no choice but to trust the camera backing out of a parking space. It is unsettling.

Side vision is a little annoying, but not a safety issue like the rear and rear quarters.The front is fine, however, I can't judge the front spoiler distance from the curb for s**t. I have been driving Corvettes since 1991. I could always learn the spot to stop without seeing the nose, but this car, I can't trust the distance. I haven't hit the spoiler at all, but I park WAY from the curb lol
I am also worrying about hitting the curb. Switching from a M3, I am spoiled by a nice top-down view feature which lets you see a top-down view of your car and curb so you don't hit the curb.

Well, Murphy's law dictates that me hitting the curb for sure would happen, and that would be a good timing to switch to 1LE aero.
shaftwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #70
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinzx14r View Post
Funny thing .. When I was picking up my new 2018 SS there was a guy trading in his 2018 ZL1 ..I looked at the car and it was trashed , dirty , carpet worn out on the drives side , tires worn out .. It had 800 miles on it !! It looked like it had 200,000 miles on it .. Who does that to a new car ?
I've seen this with an STi at a Subie dealer. A couple thousand miles and destroyed tires, looked dirty and abused.

While there are low mileage sports cars available it's a gamble to buy one and assume the previous owner took care of the car. For some cars you can save a lot of cash, but I've seen many used SS 1LEs advertised for near the same as I paid new. I could talk ;em down a few grand maybe but for a few grand I'd take the brand new car every time.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote