Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 07-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #15
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikyoLamb View Post
Thanks for the knowledge It’s been absorbed
You're down south like me brother, I'm not sure you really need all seasons.

Something like a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, great performance wet or dry, is a great choice for people like that us that only see a few weeks a year usually in the low temps.

I am assuming you're in southern Louisiana of course, but i still think you could benefit from a tire just a little more aggressive than an all season.

Before you spend any more money trying to fix the issue, make sure you know what you want long term. Buying more tires for wheels you may not keep may not be the best decision unless you're sure you will go with the same size. I think 20x10 and 20x11 is good btw, but a light wheel at those sizes won't be cheap. A lot of people go with ZL1 1LE offset in that size too.

Maybe look at Apex Race Parts, they are awesome wheels for the $, and have group buys and sales throughout the year. They can answer all your questions and are very knowledgeable on our cars(and many others).

Good luck man!
Old 07-03-2022, 12:13 PM   #16
KikyoLamb

Drives: 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
You're down south like me brother, I'm not sure you really need all seasons.

Something like a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, great performance wet or dry, is a great choice for people like that us that only see a few weeks a year usually in the low temps.

I am assuming you're in southern Louisiana of course, but i still think you could benefit from a tire just a little more aggressive than an all season.

Before you spend any more money trying to fix the issue, make sure you know what you want long term. Buying more tires for wheels you may not keep may not be the best decision unless you're sure you will go with the same size. I think 20x10 and 20x11 is good btw, but a light wheel at those sizes won't be cheap. A lot of people go with ZL1 1LE offset in that size too.

Maybe look at Apex Race Parts, they are awesome wheels for the $, and have group buys and sales throughout the year. They can answer all your questions and are very knowledgeable on our cars(and many others).

Good luck man!
I’m in the NOLA area! Going back stock while I figure this all out. A few people have recommended those Michelins today I’ll check them out for sure along with Those apex wheels .. Thanks for your replies very insightful
KikyoLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:19 PM   #17
KikyoLamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
Selling it all would also be an option, but it's going to be difficult, or he'll have to take a heavy loss on it to move it quicker. He can get the tires now. If he's still feeling a heavy hit to performance with quality tires because of the wheels, then at that point he can always get new wheels for the tires to be re-used with.
Ok this is a good way to go about it for sure.. hopefully it’s just the tires.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:36 PM   #18
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
APex recommends -1.5 camber in the front. Look towards the bottom for your size and their recommendations. https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:44 PM   #19
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
I had Atturo AZ850 on rear of Charger 392 for some time. WAAAYYY better tire than OEM Pirelli P Zero Nero. Wet performance was not top notch, but wasn't like driving on ice either. This tire is very popular tire in Challenger/Charger group as its ridiculously cheap, and is good. Dodges uses "SUV tires" anyway... I had that one on OEM rim and had zero problems. Could hook up so much better than OEM AS, that I could gap my friend in Challenger 392 with OEM tires from dig easily.

I don't think that tire slowed you down...

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:07 PM   #20
KikyoLamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
I had Atturo AZ850 on rear of Charger 392 for some time. WAAAYYY better tire than OEM Pirelli P Zero Nero. Wet performance was not top notch, but wasn't like driving on ice either. This tire is very popular tire in Challenger/Charger group as its ridiculously cheap, and is good. Dodges uses "SUV tires" anyway... I had that one on OEM rim and had zero problems. Could hook up so much better than OEM AS, that I could gap my friend in Challenger 392 with OEM tires from dig easily.

So what you thinking ? Rim ?
Old 07-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #21
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
So what you thinking ? Rim ?
Dunno. I just didn't see any issues with that tire in my setup

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #22
Camden45

Drives: Chevrolet Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post

To be fair, all the chargers and challengers weigh as much as an SUV so I'm not surprised. His camaro is about 700-800lbs lighter, not as much weight pushing down on those tires for grip.
Camden45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #23
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Them boat anchors though. Almost 40lb/wheel? Lol.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:34 PM   #24
Aquarius

Drives: Rapid Blue 2022 Camaro 1SS
Just upgraded my wheels and tires as well. I went with a wider tire (295) and wider wheel (10.5) all around and was able to shed a pound or 2 off each wheel in the process. Pointing this out so you know what the possibilities are. Also, like everyone has said, never cheap out on the rubber. If you have to choose between spending money or wheels or tiers, always choose tires. It not only affects how well the car handles in wet and dry driving, but also how loud or quiet the ride is as well as their durability (saving you money).
11/9/2021 - 3400 Status TPW 11/15
11/24/2021 - 3800 Status built 11/21/2021
12/2/2021 - 5000 Status
12/13/2021 - 6000 Status
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:40 PM   #25
KikyoLamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Them boat anchors though. Almost 40lb/wheel? Lol.
Yea really regretting the no research part :/ ugh
Old 07-03-2022, 03:44 PM   #26
KikyoLamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
Just upgraded my wheels and tires as well. I went with a wider tire (295) and wider wheel (10.5) all around and was able to shed a pound or 2 off each wheel in the process. Pointing this out so you know what the possibilities are. Also, like everyone has said, never cheap out on the rubber. If you have to choose between spending money or wheels or tiers, always choose tires. It not only affects how well the car handles in wet and dry driving, but also how loud or quiet the ride is as well as their durability (saving you money).
So you have a square setup correct ?
Old 07-03-2022, 04:36 PM   #27
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The rotational inertia of wheels is 2 to 3 times the linear inertia (depending on geometry) of an equal mass. So yeah, acceleration will be reduced. Translation: adding 10 lbs of wheel is like adding way more weight of sand in the trunk.

Additionally, switching to wheels that move the centerline of the tire in or out means you need a new 4 wheel alignment.

If you are going up from the OEM wheel and tire sizes, and want performance as well as cosmetics, be prepared to pay on the order of 2,000 per corner.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:53 PM   #28
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Hey guys , recently I got a new tire and wheel setup on my 22 SS. I went with 285/30/20 fronts and 305/30/20 backs. My wheels are Front : 20x10 and Back 20x11. The wheel I chose was the Blaque Diamond BD-11. As soon as I picked my car up from its mount and balance I noticed it was much much slower with meh acceleration and handled worse.Also after getting it to about 110ish it started to sort of swerve. Could this be a wheel weight issue? A tire size issue ? Or maybe even an error on the people who did the mount and balance ?
I will tell you this.

With the wider tires, you will feel crowns in the road a lot more, or ruts, and it will throw your car side to side from time to time.

That part of it is normal.

You just have to be ready if it ends up being a violent swerve.

Your tire sizes are fine. I have the same tire widths on mine.

I am using Eagle F1 SC3's on the rear (which are the stock tires for that setup) I'm using Advan V105's on the front.

Another thing are you sure your offsets are correct? 20x11 ET43 20x10 ET20?
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote