Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
dethzombi

Drives: 17 Camaro SS Red Hot
Door Hinge? Broken

I think this is a door hinge, but I'm not entirely sure, when I open the door at each catch it makes a knock sound, what exactly is this part and where can I get another? Also, is it easy to replace?
Name:  20200613_150453.jpg
Views: 2163
Size:  124.5 KB
Name:  20200613_150426.jpg
Views: 2034
Size:  128.5 KB
Name:  20200613_150420.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  156.4 KB
dethzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethzombi View Post
I think this is a door hinge, but I'm not entirely sure, when I open the door at each catch it makes a knock sound, what exactly is this part and where can I get another? Also, is it easy to replace?
Attachment 1035084
Attachment 1035085
Attachment 1035086
That's not the door hinge, the door hinges are at the top and bottom of the door and are painted red, what that is is called the "Door Check", you can get it here: https://www.gmpartsnow.com/oem-parts...check-84009025

This part gives you the first detent of door stop and also limits the maximum angle the door can open...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
dethzombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
That's not the door hinge, the door hinges are at the top and bottom of the door and are painted red, what that is is called the "Door Check", you can get it here: https://www.gmpartsnow.com/oem-parts...check-84009025

This part gives you the first detent of door stop and also limits the maximum angle the door can open...
Is it an easy replacement or would I just be better off having a mechanic replace it? The knocking sound is kind of annoying and I'm assuming that part is broken due to the crack on it.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Is it an easy replacement or would I just be better off having a mechanic replace it? The knocking sound is kind of annoying and I'm assuming that part is broken due to the crack on it.
It should be easy, looks like just 3 bolts (2 under the rubber grommet).

Make sure you either have someone hold the door (so it doesn't swing further open then it should while you have it off). The hinges support the full door weight so no worry there, just don't let the door swing open on you when you have this part off.
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 06-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
dethzombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
It should be easy, looks like just 3 bolts (2 under the rubber grommet).

Make sure you either have someone hold the door (so it doesn't swing further open then it should while you have it off). The hinges support the full door weight so no worry there, just don't let the door swing open on you when you have this part off.
Okay, cool, thank you! Went ahead and ordered the part and plan on installing it my next day off after it gets here.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Okay, cool, thank you! Went ahead and ordered the part and plan on installing it my next day off after it gets here.
Excellent! Should be easy to do, just have someone protect the door from swinging further than normal...

Old 06-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #7
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
That part is the door check. I just ordered one myself. To replace it, you need to remove the interior door panel.

The ebay listing is described as "Chevrolet GM OEM 16-18 Camaro-Door Check Arm Stop Hinge Strap 84009025 #13 on Diagram Only-Genuine OE Factory Original Item"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-G...5/263957975685
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
wintertopdown

I just completed the replacement of the door check on my drivers side door. It required an hour of my time and the following tools.

- 7mm nut driver
- 10mm socket wrench
- thin trim removal tool
- wide trim removal tool

I will say that the most challenging clips are the ones located along the top strip of the door frame. I suggest you use the thin trim tool to apply a downward pressure on the clips pressure point to cause it to release from the frame. Second the clips along the perimeter can pop out of the semi circle door panel inserts and may need to be re-positioned prior to reinstalling the panel. I cannot believe I lived with this annoyingly loud, broken, door check that a shop did not replace after my camaro suffered from wind damage. Instead they cut corners and repaired the door check with a bolt. It would go CLACK CLACK CLACK every time I opened or closed my door. Really made me hate my camaro after a while. Now for one hour of labor and a $20 part, they should be ashamed. To think they billed GIECO $3500 for the weather damage too!

In the end my camaro feels closer to new again as we ready for another road trip, soon to break 100K! No transmission failures this time, fingers crossed. I will return to NY with large format negatives of JJ's 1969 camaro restoration paradise to print posters of in the darkroom. Perhaps one day I will own a 427 myself.

Cheers and Happy Forth of July!

Last edited by wintertopdown; 07-02-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #9
wintertopdown

Here are some images that show the details of what is involved. Good Luck OP.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #10
wintertopdown

One final note, you will need to feel your way around the internal door frame cables as you position the new door check in place. Be sure to position to door check in front of the cabling prior to attempting to insert the arm through the door frame hole. Otherwise the mounting point to the car frame will be difficult to fit through the hole.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Mine cracked at the same place yours did. Check still seems to be doing its job, but I can see the white plastic under the cracked black bit.
I'll probably hold off on popping the door panel until the situation gets worse.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:57 PM   #12
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Bumping this thread. Good info here. But it SUCKS you have to remove the door panel and all that to replace this. There is NO WAY Im going to crack open the door panel on my brand new 21 ZL1 to replace this. Mine has a small split in the black plastic and you can see the metal under it. So its not bad, but caught my eye today and pissed me off. Part is cheap too, like $28 from Chevy do not a big deal. Just bullshit.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Mine has a small split in the black plastic and you can see the metal under it. So it's not bad, but caught my eye today and pissed me off.
Mine has been like that for 4 years now. I guess I could epoxy it. Buy, yeah, not worth taking off the door panel for this. Not making any noise. Just a visible crack.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote