Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-09-2017, 05:46 AM   #1
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
2017 ZL1 Bone Stock Dyno Runs Anyone?

Has anyone else run their new 6th Gen ZL1 on a dyno? I'd like to see what others are getting and whether there's a difference at the rear wheels between the A10 and M6.

Here's mine:

Car: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Mods: none (factory everything)
Odometer: 2432

Max Power: 582.01 RWHP
Max Torque: 574.38 Ft Lbs
National Speed Inc Facebook Video

Ambient Air Temp: 92.83 F
Barometric Pressure: 29.83 in-Hg
Humidity: 10%

See dyno graph at the bottom of this post.

Drove down to Wilmington NC to get a baseline dyno run at National Speed Inc. They are the closest speed shop that uses a DynoJet dynamometer. I'd also heard that they are very thorough and have one of the best tuners in Eastern NC.

They use the newer DynoJet 424 dynamometer with the latest WinPep software. They adjust for ambient air temp, barometric pressure, humidity and other factors to ensure an accurate reading.

The first run had some wheel spin, even after spraying a high-traction compound on the tires. This beast has so much torque on the low end and is very light in the rear that it's tough to get grip even on the huge 24 in. metal drums. Simple solution was to have one of the beefier employees to sit in the open trunk.

Their tuners, mechanics, project planners, and staff are all very knowledgeable and friendly. They took me on a tour of their facility and I was impressed. It's definitely a state-of-the-art facility. They're currently working on everything from TT Nissans to a Corvette ZR1. One of their project planners was happy to answer all my questions about their dyno and give me a lot of background info on how they use it to tune power upgrades.

--Cal

Name:  20170508.NationalSpeed.582.m.jpeg
Views: 20295
Size:  128.7 KB

[UPDATE 20170513]

Running Tally

I've added a running tally of dyno results that have come to my attention for fully stock 6th Gen ZL1s. I took my search results from Post #18 and updated them with member feedback. If I find more in additional searches, I'll add them to the list.

Code:
RWHP & Torque  Dyno Type  CF  Smoothing  Mileage Trans Name

582 HP 574 TQ  DynoJet    STD 0          2200    M6    cwebster
500 HP 499 TQ  Mustang    SAE ?          1500    A10   Rik
530 HP ??? TQ  DynoJet    ??? ?          ?       A10   NicD
545 HP ??? TQ  DynoJet    ??? ?          ?       M6    NicD
564 HP 535 TQ  DynoJet    ??? ?          300     M6    Jinkz
521 HP 515 TQ  Dynocom    SAE ?          300     M6    TheElementalCashew
546 HP 532 TQ  DynoJet    ??? ?          ?       M6    ZL1 Tommy
567 HP 570 TQ  DynoJet    STD 5          ?       M6    Hennessey Performance
570 HP 545 TQ  DynoJet    SAE 5          ?       M6    Sharp Shifter
540 HP 548 TQ  DynoJet    SAE 5          ?       A10   ATI Performance Products Inc
519 HP 451 TQ  DynoJet    SAE 5          2600    A10   HyperBlueX2
552 HP 576 TQ  DynoJet    SAE ?          ?       M6    shootamc58
548 HP 550 TQ  Mustang    ??? ?          1600    A10   ninetres

Last edited by cwebster; 04-07-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Updated running tally
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Congrats on those great numbers Cal, it looks like you got yourself a "wednesday" car. What's more important is that your numbers at the track are backing up the dyno numbers.

I can't wait to see what others are producing.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #3
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
While those numbers are good, they're a bit higher because STD correction was used instead of the standard SAE.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave View Post
Congrats on those great numbers Cal, it looks like you got yourself a "wednesday" car. What's more important is that your numbers at the track are backing up the dyno numbers.

I can't wait to see what others are producing.
Thanks Dave. Wherever the power is coming from I'm happy with it. I'd like to think my carefully planned out, aggressive break-in had a little to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
While those numbers are good, they're a bit higher because STD correction was used instead of the standard SAE.
What's the difference between STD and SAE correction?

How much lower do you think they'd be if he used SAE correction and why?

Why would a tuner choose one over the other?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
STD uses the old SAE J607 standard, SAE correction uses an updated J1349 formula that's generally more realistic.

Like all aftermarket shop dyno's, it's key to remember they're relative to each other. The important part is that you go back to the same dyno with the same operator and they run the numbers with the same correction so you get a reasonably accurate delta between modifications.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I grabbed this off the Corvette forum. It provides some more info on the differences between STD and SAE correction.

Dyno Sheets - SAE vs. STD Correction
I was looking through some dyno sheets and noticed that some shops use SAE correction values on the Dynojet while other use the the STD correction values. I did a little research and found a good read:

There are few standards used in the dyno world for gathering HP and TQ numbers, UNCORRECTED, SAE and STD. Uncorrected is NEVER accepted in the world of dynoing and tuning as it does not factor in any weather conditions etc. Now here is where the big debate comes...is between SAE and STD. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) is the MOST ACCURATE AND WIDELY ACCEPTED FORM OF MEASUREMENT when it comes to the world of dynoing. Here is some more info I have gathered between the two.....

A lot of people have been asking about SAE .vs STD Dyno numbers so I thought this would help. Most people know that showing STD numbers read higher but not many know why. SAE represents more realistic standard conditions, STD artificially boosts numbers.

Identifying Your Correction Factor:
Dynojet:
If you look at a dynojet graph in the upper right corner, you will see where it says the correction method being used. The options are SAE, STD, Uncorrected and a few not needed for discussion. You will also notice a smooth factor (up to 5) which dyno operators use to make the power curves and any other data displayed, such as AFR, seem more accurate and smooth. You will also see AFR graphs scaled DOWN to hide flaws in the curve.

MD:
A Mustang Dyno ONLY uses SAE Corrections. Smoothing can also be controlled as well as scale for the Graphical Outputs.

Overview:
Most of the stated horsepower numbers are “Corrected” values. The correction standards were developed to discount the observed horsepower readings taken at different locations and weather conditions. It is obvious that an engine builder in Colorado could not produce as much horsepower as a shop at sea level. There is just less oxygen for the engine to burn at the higher altitude. What are less obvious are the other weather condition effects on the engine. So in order to compensate for this all advertised horsepower is “corrected” to several different industry standards.

SAE:
"SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), USA. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25°C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque.

STD:
STD is Another power correction standard determined by the SAE. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5°C). Because the reference conditions include higher pressure and cooler air than the SAE standard, these corrected power numbers will always be about 4 % higher than the SAE power numbers. Friction torque is handled in the same way as in the SAE standard."

Here is some quick math (using assumptions and round numbers):

STD:
Air Temperature: 60F
Absolute Pressure: 29.92 inches Hg
Relative Humidity: 0%

Relative Horsepower : 104.8%
Air Density: 1.223kg/m3
Relative Air Density: 99.8%
Density Altitude: 67feet
Virtual Temperature: 60F
Vapor Pressure: 0 inches Hg
Dyno Correction Factor: .955

SAE:
Air Temperature: 77F
Absolute Pressure: 29.23 inches Hg

Relative Horsepower : 100%
Air Density: 1.157kg/m3
Relative Air Density: 94.4%
Density Altitude: 1952feet
Virtual Temperature: 77F
Dyno Correction Factor: 1

Last edited by hawk02; 05-09-2017 at 10:10 AM. Reason: grammar
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
STD uses the old SAE J607 standard, SAE correction uses an updated J1349 formula that's generally more realistic.

Like all aftermarket shop dyno's, it's key to remember they're relative to each other. The important part is that you go back to the same dyno with the same operator and they run the numbers with the same correction so you get a reasonably accurate delta between modifications.
Thank you for the feedback.

Okay, but what's the difference between the SAE J607 and J1349 formulas? What parameters are different and how does that affect the measurement? "More realistic" doesn't mean anything to me.

Can you point me to a reference or two where I can read about these standards and how their methodology affects the outcome?

--Cal
Old 05-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
I grabbed this off the Corvette forum. It provides some more info on the differences between STD and SAE correction.

Dyno Sheets - SAE vs. STD Correction
I was looking through some dyno sheets and noticed that some shops use SAE correction values on the Dynojet while other use the the STD correction values. I did a little research and found a good read:

There are few standards used in the dyno world for gathering HP and TQ numbers, UNCORRECTED, SAE and STD. Uncorrected is NEVER accepted in the world of dynoing and tuning as it does not factor in any weather conditions etc. Now here is where the big debate comes...is between SAE and STD. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) is the MOST ACCURATE AND WIDELY ACCEPTED FORM OF MEASUREMENT when it comes to the world of dynoing. Here is some more info I have gathered between the two.....

A lot of people have been asking about SAE .vs STD Dyno numbers so I thought this would help. Most people know that showing STD numbers read higher but not many know why. SAE represents more realistic standard conditions, STD artificially boosts numbers.

Identifying Your Correction Factor:
Dynojet:
If you look at a dynojet graph in the upper right corner, you will see where it says the correction method being used. The options are SAE, STD, Uncorrected and a few not needed for discussion. You will also notice a smooth factor (up to 5) which dyno operators use to make the power curves and any other data displayed, such as AFR, seem more accurate and smooth. You will also see AFR graphs scaled DOWN to hide flaws in the curve.

MD:
A Mustang Dyno ONLY uses SAE Corrections. Smoothing can also be controlled as well as scale for the Graphical Outputs.

Overview:
Most of the stated horsepower numbers are “Corrected” values. The correction standards were developed to discount the observed horsepower readings taken at different locations and weather conditions. It is obvious that an engine builder in Colorado could not produce as much horsepower as a shop at sea level. There is just less oxygen for the engine to burn at the higher altitude. What are less obvious are the other weather condition effects on the engine. So in order to compensate for this all advertised horsepower is “corrected” to several different industry standards.

SAE:
"SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), USA. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25°C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque.

STD:
STD is Another power correction standard determined by the SAE. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5°C). Because the reference conditions include higher pressure and cooler air than the SAE standard, these corrected power numbers will always be about 4 % higher than the SAE power numbers. Friction torque is handled in the same way as in the SAE standard."

Here is some quick math (using assumptions and round numbers):

STD:
Air Temperature: 60F
Absolute Pressure: 29.92 inches Hg

Relative Horsepower : 104.8%
Air Density: 1.223kg/m3
Relative Air Density: 99.8%
Density Altitude: 67feet
Virtual Temperature: 60F
Dyno Correction Factor: .955

SAE:
Air Temperature: 77F
Absolute Pressure: 29.23 inches Hg

Relative Horsepower : 100%
Air Density: 1.157kg/m3
Relative Air Density: 94.4%
Density Altitude: 1952feet
Virtual Temperature: 77F
Dyno Correction Factor: 1
Wow! That's great info. Thank you.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
As a general rule of thumb, SAE reads a bit lower than STD. Like a SAE dyno of your car would probably be 560ish RWHP (give or take 5 or so from that number.)
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
cwebster
Cal

Apparently I have some reading to do... I kinda get what hawk02 is saying but I'm going to need to understand and compare the standards before I really understand.

It seems from the explanation that both standards are attempts to provide a universal point of reference that can be compared with any other dyno, provided they use the same protocol. This is accomplished by conducting the measurements under a specific set of controlled conditions. The difference between the two apparently lies in the correction factors used. Does that sound about right?

In order to determine the performance impact of any modification with any degree of certainty you would obviously want to use the same speed shop, same dyno and settings, and same tuner if possible. Although theoretically a shop in CA using the same dyno with the same CF should produce the same results as one in NC it would seem that this is seldom the case.

Still, given these caveats it would be interesting to see what kinds of numbers others are pulling.

--Cal
Old 05-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
On a dynojet, 'STD' is used to inflate the numbers, period. Another trick to inflate the numbers that this dyno guy used was turning the smoothing off (Smoothing:0). What that does is, makes more pronounced peaks, which can cause a higher max number to be printed. Not criticizing you personally Cal, just explaining why your numbers seem higher than other ZL1 sheets that members have posted.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #12
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Quote:

Buzz Kill....
Old 05-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #13
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
On a dynojet, 'STD' is used to inflate the numbers, period. Another trick to inflate the numbers that this dyno guy used was turning the smoothing off (Smoothing:0). What that does is, makes more pronounced peaks, which can cause a higher max number to be printed. Not criticizing you personally Cal, just explaining why your numbers seem higher than other ZL1 sheets that members have posted.
+1

Another observation over the years is that I've generally have seen higher tq numbers when the dyno operator starts the run at 3000+ rpm than lower in the rpm range such as 2000 rpm. Peak hp seems unaffected tho.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #14
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think I got a stroke from trying to read and understand all that...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote