#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 08-07-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Cool Autobahn Country Club - Full Course - 2:47.40

Hello all,

Here is i video of my most-recent hot lap of the tremendous facility called Autobahn Country Club. They have a North Track and a South Track. And every once and a while, they combine the two for the FULL track 3.56 mile experience.

I'm still impressed with these tires. The day's best time was on Lap 8 of a session.

Please comment on any lines or ways you think we/i can improve

- Thanks so much!

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:54 PM   #2
Osbornsm

Used an external mic on the Gopro clipped to the rear license plate.
An external GPS for the lap time.
And an OBD reader for telemetry.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:17 PM   #3
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Looks good, driving was fairly smooth. Looks like you can carry more speed in the corners. You're not really using the entire track on corner exit and sometimes for corner entry you're about 1 foot from the edge of the track. Don't be afraid to try no-lift shift.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #4
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Same feedback also from my side. Nail the apexes and use the curbing on the exits. The 1LE chassis does not get too upset by curbing for the most part, and this will allow you to enter with a little more speed, and exit with even more speed. And more speed onto the straight = direct laptime saving.

What brake pads do you use? I also think there is some improvement possible in brake zones. Would it be possible to brake bit later, but harder? Also for some of the tighter corners where you get the front wheels starting to wash out, I recommend more trail brake action as you turn in to induce more rotation. 1LE L O V E S trail brake!
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #5
Osbornsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Same feedback also from my side. Nail the apexes and use the curbing on the exits. The 1LE chassis does not get too upset by curbing for the most part, and this will allow you to enter with a little more speed, and exit with even more speed. And more speed onto the straight = direct laptime saving.

What brake pads do you use? I also think there is some improvement possible in brake zones. Would it be possible to brake bit later, but harder? Also for some of the tighter corners where you get the front wheels starting to wash out, I recommend more trail brake action as you turn in to induce more rotation. 1LE L O V E S trail brake!

Thank you for taking the time to make some notes.

Brake Pads: I was using Carbotech XP20's at the end of their usable life.
Wasn't feeling the brakes to be that aggressive with them. Normally i'm fine, but i can't get the ST-43 compound i want... anywhere.

Next time around i'll have Hawk DTC-60 on the fronts and ST-43 on the rears. We'll see if Hawks live up to their hype.

Looking at it, you're right, about the apexes. I've hit a few curbs in my time and the Camaro never really got out of sorts. Let's see how snug we can get :-)

As you said, more straight line speed is the key here!

I always feel like i'm over-doing it if i have to trail brake too much. Also, i get oversteer on trail braking over 75mph.

Thoughts welcome!

Old 08-09-2022, 02:53 PM   #6
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Lots of time to be made up on the south course. T4 can take 5mph faster easily. Turn 5 don't turn in until you get to that access road on the right (also only need a quick jab of the brakes corner is a lot faster than it looks). T6 you did alright. That corner always messes me up. Turn 9 was good you stayed to the right but for turn 10 you should have sent it onto the curbing and been on the gas way earlier. Turn 11. you can put half your car on that curb.

I am not too familiar with the north course....
Old 08-10-2022, 06:30 AM   #7
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post

I always feel like i'm over-doing it if i have to trail brake too much. Also, i get oversteer on trail braking over 75mph.

Thoughts welcome!
This takes more time and practice to get right. I still have to remind myself in certain corners to use this technique in a more efficient way after 9 years of HPDE events. But I can tell you from experience that just a little brake left just past the turn-in can make a difference between grinding front wheels in a turn, and that awful feeling of understeer, and just the right amount of rotation to point the car in quicker at higher cornering speed.

You do have to go into the corner kinda hot to pull this off though.

Either way, it's fun practicing and developing your driver mod.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:02 AM   #8
Osbornsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
Lots of time to be made up on the south course. T4 can take 5mph faster easily. Turn 5 don't turn in until you get to that access road on the right (also only need a quick jab of the brakes corner is a lot faster than it looks). T6 you did alright. That corner always messes me up. Turn 9 was good you stayed to the right but for turn 10 you should have sent it onto the curbing and been on the gas way earlier. Turn 11. you can put half your car on that curb.

I am not too familiar with the north course....

Thank you Tim for the thoughtful commentary. I've been chewing on the T4 south for a while. I used to brake like hell for it... now i'm carrying more.

Better on brakes too!

I'll def check out T10 South curbing. Don't know why i avoided it so much

Old 08-10-2022, 10:24 PM   #9
Vivid_O_1LE

Drives: Chevy Camaro, Dodge Charger
Lines are looking tight and clean Sean. Turn 4 is a bit tricky now cause there is a decent bump right where you dab the brakes. Looks like turn 5 you can probably carry a bit more speed but this is the only corner that has ever tried to wreck me at autobahn so i'm a little cautious there getting on the throttle there. You can put your whole car up on the curb at thirteen and get on the throttle faster for the jump.