Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-26-2022, 02:57 PM   #15
Nstoner

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
probably because those are mustang wheels haha yea but for reals no idea thats weird id check alignment
That was pretty good
Nstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:36 PM   #16
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have a ton of buddys with mustangs and they are pretty popular out here in cali

https://project6gr.com/
Old 07-31-2022, 04:56 PM   #17
Nstoner

A few updates:

1) I took a wheel off and weighed it compared to my stock wheels (with tires) and it came in at 56lbs vs stock at 59lbs. So the new setup is lighter.

2) I noticed the contact area of the new wheel to the hub is about 1/3 of the size of the stock wheels which have a large mating surface. Does this cause additional stress or potential reduced performance under hard cornering?

3) My lugs don’t appear to have a great seat to the wheel either. The paint is scraped unevenly. Probably not an issue but something worth noting.

Pictures below

Old 07-31-2022, 05:13 PM   #18
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nstoner View Post
2) I noticed the contact area of the new wheel to the hub is about 1/3 of the size of the stock wheels which have a large mating surface. Does this cause additional stress or potential reduced performance under hard cornering?
No. You'll still have the same amount of clamping force, just acting on a smaller area of mating surface. The coefficient of friction remains constant.
Therefore, the PSI will be higher but the total static friction (the force that keeps the wheel from moving on the hub) is the same.

Quote:
3) My lugs don’t appear to have a great seat to the wheel either. The paint is scraped unevenly. Probably not an issue but something worth noting.
I don't see an issue there, as long as you have them torqued properly to 140lb/ft.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:30 PM   #19
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have a ton of buddys with mustangs and they are pretty popular out here in cali

https://project6gr.com/
I've got them for my 1LE. A set of forged ones. The were 23lbs a wheel. Shaved just over 30lbs off vs stock for OEM sizes. Last I looked, pictures of my blue 1LE were still on their website.

OP- I never noticed what you are describing when I installed my wheels. I think your tire pressures are too high, I ran 32F and 30R cold on the street with my SC3s. Make sure when you mount them up that the mating surface is clean of debris and that the wheel sits flush on the mating surface and that the lug nuts are only contacting the their bevel in the holes.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:38 AM   #20
Nstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
I've got them for my 1LE. A set of forged ones. The were 23lbs a wheel. Shaved just over 30lbs off vs stock for OEM sizes. Last I looked, pictures of my blue 1LE were still on their website.

OP- I never noticed what you are describing when I installed my wheels. I think your tire pressures are too high, I ran 32F and 30R cold on the street with my SC3s. Make sure when you mount them up that the mating surface is clean of debris and that the wheel sits flush on the mating surface and that the lug nuts are only contacting the their bevel in the holes.

Appreciate the feedback. I'll drop air pressures a bit, and may dismount and remount very carefully. Slowly hand tighten each lug while rotating the wheel back and forth to be sure the lugs are seating into the bevels.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #21
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Appreciate the feedback. I'll drop air pressures a bit, and may dismount and remount very carefully. Slowly hand tighten each lug while rotating the wheel back and forth to be sure the lugs are seating into the bevels.
Out of curiosity, how do the seats in the wheels look? Are they showing witness marks of even contact?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:10 PM   #22
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
I have the stock SC3 tires on, they are brand new in the same size I took off the stock wheels.

I’ll try re torquing the lugs.

Good question on the bolt pattern, I just asked for ZL1 fitment. They bolted up without issue.
Better make sure they are 120.0 MM bolt pattern and not 120.46 They may be stamped on the inside of the wheel or the box.... wrong picture sorry

Last edited by lt4camaro; 10-24-2022 at 02:56 PM.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote