Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 12-21-2017, 01:38 AM   #15
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsAndFoundations View Post
Be wary that they aren't "built-in" as the website description says, and in all actuality​ are just the bulbs and have a resistor connected with a wire. They just don't require to be soddered on and spliced.
This newer design seems to use an integrated circuit instead of a resistor. It will only hyperblink if you install four of them or keep the signals on for more than 8 minutes, which is fine by me. The only concern I have is the potential lifespan of the bulb, but for 30 bucks it's surely worth a try?

Last edited by WhyUMad1LE; 12-21-2017 at 01:58 AM.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #16
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
This newer design seems to use an integrated circuit instead of a resistor. It will only hyperblink if you install four of them or keep the signals on for more than 8 minutes, which is fine by me. The only concern I have is the potential lifespan of the bulb, but for 30 bucks it's surely worth a try?

This video is from 2016 FWIW. Having resistance integrated into the base of the bulb is an inherently flawed design.

Heat is the biggest enemy of any LED, and is the primary cause of premature failure.

The heat generated by a 6 ohm 50 watt resistor (roughly equivalent to a filament bulb) would cause an LED turn signal bulb to fail extremely fast.

I won't comment on another vendor's product claims, but I can tell you there's no reliable LED turn signal replacement with enough resistance integrated on the base of the bulb to actually prevent hyperflash. If it were possible with modern LED technology, it would be far more common on the market.

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #17
WhyUMad1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
This video is from 2016 FWIW. Having resistance integrated into the base of the bulb is an inherently flawed design.

Heat is the biggest enemy of any LED, and is the primary cause of premature failure.

The heat generated by a 6 ohm 50 watt resistor (roughly equivalent to a filament bulb) would cause an LED turn signal bulb to fail extremely fast.

I won't comment on another vendor's product claims, but I can tell you there's no reliable LED turn signal replacement with enough resistance integrated on the base of the bulb to actually prevent hyperflash. If it were possible with modern LED technology, it would be far more common on the market.

Nick C.
Right, but according to that video the bulb doesn't have a load resistor.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #18
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Right, but according to that video the bulb doesn't have a load resistor.
They are not going to prevent hyper-flash. The amount of electrical resistance needed to mimic the filament from your incandescent bulbs is fairly significant. Heat is a byproduct of resistance, so if they don't have resistors, the bulbs themselves would get extremely hot, which means they aren't going to last long.

Nick C.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
They are not going to prevent hyper-flash. The amount of electrical resistance needed to mimic the filament from your incandescent bulbs is fairly significant. Heat is a byproduct of resistance, so if they don't have resistors, the bulbs themselves would get extremely hot, which means they aren't going to last long.

Nick C.
Just a naive thought, but if the bulb failure detection logic that checks for resistance/current is in the ECM, it could theoretically be tuned by simply setting the thresholds lower to accommodate LED's, right?

Love your smoked side markers btw
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #20
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Just a naive thought, but if the bulb failure detection logic that checks for resistance/current is in the ECM, it could theoretically be tuned by simply setting the thresholds lower to accommodate LED's, right?

Love your smoked side markers btw
It sounds a lot easier than it actually is, I'd just say use resistors and call it a day. That's what we did on our Camaro.

Trust me, if there were an easy way to make those products, we would have it available. It's frustrating though that some vendors will blatantly lie just to make a quick buck, then everyone gets confused thinking it's actually real.

Same with vendors who say "our products produce 6000, 10000 lumens etc etc" total guesses, no measuring, nothing.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #21
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
It sounds a lot easier than it actually is, I'd just say use resistors and call it a day. That's what we did on our Camaro.

Trust me, if there were an easy way to make those products, we would have it available. It's frustrating though that some vendors will blatantly lie just to make a quick buck, then everyone gets confused thinking it's actually real.

Same with vendors who say "our products produce 6000, 10000 lumens etc etc" total guesses, no measuring, nothing.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Yeah, fair enough, there must be complexity I'm not seeing as an outsider (though this must have been done already for the RS/SS rear turn signals that are already LED's).

I understand your frustration at some claims that are totally bogus and hurt business. Also I do my best in trying to go with real products that are backed by decent folks.

Anyway, I'll wait for someone to start selling a plug'n'play resistor harness that plugs into the turn signal bulb socket, though, I'm not keen to splice wires and to screw/stud heatsinks into such a beauty

Last edited by arpad_m; 12-21-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #22
Diode Dynamics

Quote:
Yeah, fair enough, there must be complexity I'm not seeing as an outsider (though this must have been done already for the RS/SS rear turn signals that are already LED's).

I understand your frustration at some claims that are totally bogus and hurt business. Also I do my best in trying to go with real products that are backed by decent folks.

Anyway, I'll wait for someone to start selling a plug'n'play resistor harness that plugs into the turn signal bulb socket, though, I'm not keen to splice wires and to screw/stud heatsinks into such a beauty
The problem with "plug & play" sockets is that OEM connectors vary, so it's not really one-size fits all. The 2015+ Mustang for example, uses a true 7444 bulb, vs. 7443, which meant that we had to completely redesign the base mold just so the bulb wouldn't come out of the socket.

Fun stuff, lol.

Nick C.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #23
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
LED Blinker

Subscribe I have no idea what you guys are talking about but with a plug’n play I am in.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #24
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Quote:
Same for me: I'm still waiting to convert my front turn lights to LED. Indeed, as I am driving a European specification car, it would be nice to have the same harness for the rear turn lights, too (our cars use the rear US backlight socket instead of having them into the main LED headlight).

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:51 AM   #25
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
Subscribe I have no idea what you guys are talking about but with a plug’n play I am in.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #26
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
There is a guy on facebook group on 6th Gen Camaro who found LEDs that have zero issues. Wish I knew how to past facebook URLs.. no idea.

And while I agree with everything from Nick @ DD is saying, I do not think heat is an issue at all for these LEDs. They do not stay on. They momentary blink when changing lanes or making turns.

If they were for lights that constantly stay on, like DRL, side markers, and tail lamps, yep heat is an issue.

Even the reverse light LEDs.. yes the resistors for those even get hot, but how long are you going to be in reverse for?

EDIT: product link from the facebook post. https://www.amazon.com/SUGERYY-Yello...+blinker+light
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #27
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnashlenz View Post
Sorry for the dump question. What does the smile mean? I have seen that several times but I don’t know when to us it.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #28
WhyUMad1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RWD View Post
There is a guy on facebook group on 6th Gen Camaro who found LEDs that have zero issues. Wish I knew how to past facebook URLs.. no idea.

And while I agree with everything from Nick @ DD is saying, I do not think heat is an issue at all for these LEDs. They do not stay on. They momentary blink when changing lanes or making turns.

If they were for lights that constantly stay on, like DRL, side markers, and tail lamps, yep heat is an issue.

Even the reverse light LEDs.. yes the resistors for those even get hot, but how long are you going to be in reverse for?

EDIT: product link from the facebook post. https://www.amazon.com/SUGERYY-Yello...+blinker+light
Hmm those look identical to the ones I posted above, but with a yellow base instead of a white base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
Sorry for the dump question. What does the smile mean? I have seen that several times but I don’t know when to us it.
It means "yup"

More detailed explanations:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Word
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Werd

Tags
blinker, bulbs, led, turn signal