Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 01-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
kraut1971
BITCHN Camaro

Drives: SOLD! Back in the looking zone...
DON'T WASTE YOUR $ ON THESE GEN5DIY LED DRL BULBS

Like many of us on the forum, I wanted to improve the brightness & color of my DRL on my MY13 Camaro. I ended up spending $67 on a set of PSX26W 50 watt 5000k LED bulbs from Gen5DIY.com. These bulbs are normally listed for $84 on their website so I thought I scored an amazing deal until BOTH BULBS DIED 12 months after install! I absolutely loved the look (heck, I even recommended these EXACT bulbs to numerous forum members and friends) and I don't mind spending good money on modifications, but the idea of spending $70-$84 every year on a product that doesn't last is a total waste of money!

The part that irks me the most is that when I wrote Gen5 customer service they didn't even acknowledge my email (I originally inquired about the expected bulb life & product warranty). I wrote a second time, specifically asking if I may have a set of defective bulbs and this was their reply:
  • "I dont know what to tell you there on me friends 2014 ZL1 for one year with out any problems, your car may have a ground problem don't know."

I seriously doubt I have a "ground problem" as the original factory OEM bulbs were on this car for over 2 years without any issue. I guess I'll either be reinstalling my original bulbs or finding a company that will actually stand behind the quality of the product they sell (like O'Reilly's or AutoZone).

Just wanted to help some of you avoid this expensive & poor quality product.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Tri-Nads Racing
More Balls Than You

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS / 1969 Camaro 427 SS/RS
I've had there psx bulbs on my car for almost 4 years now and I also have the DRL harness to always have them on. I've had zero issues with mine. The only thing I don't like is that the color has a slight spearmint green glow to it and it doesn't exactly match the temp of the headlights. But for its longevity, four years now and going strong. I've purchased quite a bit from Ofer and he has always replied back in a timely manner and also has always answered my phone calls for troubleshooting. I've had one issue with a wiring harness and he replaced it no questions asked and extremely fast.

Many people on here can contest on how helpful and how good of a service that Ofer provides.

Hopefully this one incident doesn't ruin your perception of him
Tri-Nads Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
BossRS4

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Sorry to hear this. They should have lasted a lot longer than 12 months for that kind of money.
45% Tint on Windshield
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Oracle Afterburner Tail Lights
Oracle LED Sidemarkers
RDP Tune
TSP Long Tube Headers
Forza Componenti 3-Way Exhaust Controller
ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill
BossRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Are those the same bulbs? A SMD is better than a COB designed bulb, which is what your photo appear is installed. Also, the old nomenclature for your DRL was the PSX26W, but the newer and better designed bulb are the P13s.

I've had great success purchasing in CREE SMD 80w P13s in bulk for the club, but direct from the manufactures and have generally had spares if any go out with less than a 5% failure rate.

Gen5DIY cannot honestly diagnose a reason why your bulbs failed, though I cannot imagine Ofer refusing a warranty exchange if you qualified for one. Ebay and Amazon offer many high quality CREE SMD 80w P13s under $25.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I cannot speak to your transaction or experience, but I can vouch for Ofer having been very helpful to me and going out of his way in my case. I have also witnessed him many times going above and beyond for members of this forum.

Hopefully he steps in and sorts this situation out with you. This does not sound typical for him, at all.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
TadashiKuraoka
Summit White Camaro

Drives: Summit White 2011 Chevy SS Camaro
I also can vouch for Ofer at GEN5DIY. He showed amazing customer service when he helped me out for my ZL1 conversion kit. To the OP, I hope he can get things sorted out for you!
TadashiKuraoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Gen5diy has been great to me as well. I have the same bulbs just less wattage and have no issues, they even shipped a spare one with my order.

Ofers harnesses are also top notch, I have owned many.

Tags
drl, gen5, gen5diy, led, light