Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
LRJet35

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
1LE clutch chatter

I've noticed that my clutch has a fair amount of chatter when engaging it from a stop in 1st. It's especially noticeable when I'm slipping the clutch to inch into the garage etc. the only way to prevent it is to use a more aggressive clutch release when starting from a stop. The only other car I've have any chatter like this was a WRX that had transmission mounts that were worn. Seems to me like the transmission mounts are loose/have play in them allowing the whole transmission to bounce around and chatter under partial clutch engagement. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their 1LE's, or could it be an issue just with my car
LRJet35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
i have noticed it in mine but i suck at diving a manual so i dont know if its me or the car
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
I have noticed it in mine in reverse some but not in 1st yet.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Same, in reverse backing in the garage, i dont think its a big deal though.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
Thats kind of weird, didn't think the trans is different enough for that.

Chatter and the drivetrain slop these things are known for is different. Usually you get a clunking noise which is "normal" and "functioning as designed". Chatter is more likely a hydraulic or pressure plate issue. Considering its the same clutch as the SS I wouldn't expect anything different in terms of noise. A lot of people have had blown slave cylinders so if you get high rpm grind along with chatter I would consider replacing it. You can always take it to a dealer but thats always 50/50 whether or not they care. Also the transmission will take a few hundred miles to break in. My clutch didn't stop smelling a bit until the 500 mile point which is common with these.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post

Chatter and the drivetrain slop these things are known for is different. Usually you get a clunking noise which is "normal" and "functioning as designed". Chatter is more likely a hydraulic or pressure plate issue. Considering its the same clutch as the SS I wouldn't expect anything different in terms of noise. A lot of people have had blown slave cylinders so if you get high rpm grind along with chatter I would consider replacing it. You can always take it to a dealer but thats always 50/50 whether or not they care. Also the transmission will take a few hundred miles to break in. My clutch didn't stop smelling a bit until the 500 mile point which is common with these.
clutch funk is normal got it i have been hard on myself about not slipping my clutch and getting that smell. man i need to learn up about manual cars
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
I was easy with it until it stopped smelling, since then I have not been easy with it at all and no issues. Sometimes 2nd will grind if I don't let it warm up first, one of these days it will get synthetic which will help some.

Keep fresh quality fluid in the reservoir and preferably separate it from the brake reservoir. Good clean fluid is the best thing you can do for these, change it way more often than suggested and you won't have your pedal stick to the floor or smoke up on you unless you're really abusing it or have a different issue.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
No chatter here. Plenty of clunk. The clutch smell went away after a few hundred miles. Have had an occasional metallic sounding clunk accompanied with a pop from the rear end when turning into steep driveways. Sounds like the rear end binds. Just over 900 miles
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
LRJet35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post

Chatter and the drivetrain slop these things are known for is different. Usually you get a clunking noise which is "normal" and "functioning as designed". Chatter is more likely a hydraulic or pressure plate issue. Considering its the same clutch as the SS I wouldn't expect anything different in terms of noise.
I guess it could be best described as drivetrain slop, it's not really a chatter noise, it's just the whole drivetrain stuttering and bouncing as the clutch is partially engaged. Every car I've owned has been a manual transmission, and it def. seems a little abnormal unless it just has a that amount of drive train slop and that is considered normal for this car...
Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJet35 View Post
I guess it could be best described as drivetrain slop, it's not really a chatter noise, it's just the whole drivetrain stuttering and bouncing as the clutch is partially engaged. Every car I've owned has been a manual transmission, and it def. seems a little abnormal unless it just has a that amount of drive train slop and that is considered normal for this car...

We apologize for the frustrations. You can always go to a dealership for a proper diagnosis.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
LRJet35

I'm thinking about taking the car into the dealership, I just can't believe there would be a clutch issue right from the factory. Doesn't sound like anyone else really has this with their 1LE's though.

I've read about the clunking when disengaging the clutch, but this is a shudder while engaging the clutch from a stop. You can hear and feel the whole transmission shaking. The car had 14 miles on it from the dealership and I've never slipped the clutch to any degree more then normal operation. Never been launched, etc so the clutch has never been heated excessively. The car still only has 180 miles on it so its been babied so far. I dont see how the clutch could have gotten hot spots etc to make it do this unless someone abused the hell out of the clutch in the process of loading it on the truck or something.

So none of the other 1LE owners here have any amount of clutch shudder when engaging the clutch from a stand still?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #12
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJet35 View Post
I've noticed that my clutch has a fair amount of chatter when engaging it from a stop in 1st. It's especially noticeable when I'm slipping the clutch to inch into the garage etc. the only way to prevent it is to use a more aggressive clutch release when starting from a stop. The only other car I've have any chatter like this was a WRX that had transmission mounts that were worn. Seems to me like the transmission mounts are loose/have play in them allowing the whole transmission to bounce around and chatter under partial clutch engagement. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their 1LE's, or could it be an issue just with my car
Coming to the camaro from an audi s4 I had lots of problems like you are describing. And i posted something similar too. But I've gotten used to the clutch now and the car doesn't make the heavy metal chatter and clunking sound it once used to.

My suggestion is give it time as you adjust from a Japanese clutch to this.

Just like vent systems and engine noise are different from German to Japanese to American cars so are the clutches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
LRJet35

Yea I was hoping maybe it will get better after break in, we'll see how it goes.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
charlie46

Drives: 2013 camaro 1le
I Also have a clunking noise when the clutch is engaged or disengaged , kind of bothers me but I have to remind my self that its not a 911 it's a Chevy !
charlie46 is offline   Reply With Quote