Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Bwrin

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 RS
Winter tires

2016 1LT with the 20" wheels and Brembo brake package.

I have no idea what to do about tires for the winter. I've never bought winter tires and this is my first RWD car, so I figure the tires will be nice to have.

My issue is this.
The winter tire selection for the 20" wheels are limited to "Performance winter tires", not real snow tires. I've read that performance winter tires aren't as great as snow tires, more like an in between snow tire and all seasons.

Snow/ice tires are only available with smaller wheel sizes, which is where my second problem is. Will a wheel size smaller than 20" fit while having the Brembo brakes? I'd love to get 18" wheels and get the good snow tires, but Tire Rack doesn't show less than a 20" tire option when I plug in my vehicle info.

What are my options here?

I've search this forum and others, but haven't really found an exact answer.
Bwrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 AM   #2
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
Call tire rack. They have entire wheel/tire packages in 18" that will fit your car. I'm running 18s on my 2SS and everything was fine last winter.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
jreagle56

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 NPP MRC Summit White
FWIW - bought 4 tire rack 19"x8.5" wheels with 245/45 sottozero 3 snows mounted and balanced last year; skinny tires for better snow traction.
can do an easy change over myself on my own time with the new setup without carving out a block of time hauling tires back and forth to a shop and paying for mounting and balancing. less handling of the rims by the shop techs this way as well.
estimating 3 or 4 seasons out of the snows before they wear down. invested around $2k delivered mounted and balanced.
last year tire rack had an 18" setup for around $1.6k delivered; regular snows though not the performance snows.....
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Bwrin

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 RS
Thanks guys! Apparently there is an issue with the site not displaying the correct options when selecting winter tire/wheel packages. He said 18" wheels would work fine, so I just added them separately. I got "18X8 MOTEGI RACING MR118 BLK PAINT" wheels and BLIZZAK WS80 XL tires.
Bwrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Anyone need help with winter wheels or tires call me direct!!

1-800-428-8355 Extension 4664

When ordering online please reference "Rudy/Camaro5" as your previous contact. Please click on the link in the sticky thread at the top of wheel and tire forum so the forum gets credit for the sale.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote