Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-04-2018, 01:29 AM   #1
Inkedmongo

Drives: 2ss
Forced induction and Ethanol

So I have a D1X stage II kit waiting to go on my build (probably this winter, this fat kid hates to sweat) and on the cusp of ordering more parts for my build. I plan to go forged pistons, cam, headers, catless midpipe, lt4 fuel system, and an aux fuel system.

Where I am located we have 91 pump gas and roughly E65 ethanol. Elevation roughly 660ft.

My questions are :

1 - Would I run out of fuel and produce less power with e65 vs pump 91?

2 - Would the 30% increase in burn rate be less due to lower ethanol content?

3 - What kind of power are people getting with similar setups?

4 - Anyone else use meth injection as a safety and not included in your tune?

Last edited by Inkedmongo; 07-04-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Inkedmongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The shop and tuner I used for my D1SC setup is adamant that the LT1 fuel system even with the full LT4 fuel system upgrade doesnt have enough room to run E85 and safely make boost.

I have the D1SC and it is running around 10.5-11 psi, that D1x is good for well above that, you will be leaving lots of power on the table on the stock fuel system alone, if you go auxiliary as you said it will take care of the issue.

I am running a Alky control meth injection system with VP M1 methanol, my tuner has me running around 10%-20% of E85 in my tank of gas on 91 octane pure gas. It help with knock control, so far on my scans I have not seen any knock at all.

What are your end power goals?

I am sure I can direct you to the shop I use, they are very well known and as of now hold the record for the most powerful C7 Vette and several 1/4 mile and flying 1/2 - 1 mile records as well.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Inkedmongo

Is going ethanol even worth the hassle in my case with E60-65 vs 91 pump? Is it doable with the lt4, aux, cam, etc?

Trying to pick a fuel path at this point.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I have the LT4 intank pump, and then the stock LT1 high side pump and injectors. Shop told me to not run any more than 25% E85 due to not having enough room left in the fuel system.

What they told me was that even if I put the rest of the LT4 fuel system on my car and used HP Tuners to unlock the fuel pump module and increased the fuel pressure in there that I would only make near 600rwhp on 91 and still wouldnt have enough room to accomodate the 30% more flow that is needed with full E85.

You might be safe at E50 since it should put you only needing an additional 15% for the E85 but I would dang sure want to make sure the tune was spot on for sure.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Mongo, you might want to check the thread for the Jannetty Super Street Brawler. I know it's a different blower, but the fuel limitations should be about the same.

With 93 octane, he was running 700whp with 11psi. On e85, he reduced boost and was running 725whp on 9psi. So you might find a sweet spot where you can make more power with less boost. The other thing is, you are adding a cam which will, I assume, increase the fuel lobe meaning that the lt4 fuel system can do more...once you have the e sensor, really the car and tune should auto adjust for the amount of e you are running. I think I have the same scenario where we expect the e85 to really be e60 or so.

Fyi - I am doing the exact same thing as you. We should be starting my build in a couple weeks. Only difference is, I am not adding the aux fuel, but am including a boost a pump.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #6
Inkedmongo

Yeah I spoke with a guy with basically the same build I am going with along with the same PC head unit and with the LT4 fuel system, cam lobe, and aux low side he was told it was good for up to 900whp.

I know he upped his pulley to a 4.5" to get to 8psi on 93 pump gas and got 725 to the rear wheels, and trying to play it safe until he gets some drop ins. He did that and tried the smaller 4.13" pulley first and it put him around 11.5psi and 750ish whp and he was about out of fuel, but all of these numbers were done before he installed the aux system on the low side as well.

I'm hoping with the ethanol content being lower it will help find a sweet spot or benefit more than relying on crap 91 pump gas here. I really can't stress how one of my main goals of this build is to NOT have meth injection as a required or dependent part of my tunes.

Good luck on yours, I am interested to see what kind of TQ you put out of yours, those PD blowers sure look good on both ends of the numbers.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkedmongo View Post
Yeah I spoke with a guy with basically the same build I am going with along with the same PC head unit and with the LT4 fuel system, cam lobe, and aux low side he was told it was good for up to 900whp.

I know he upped his pulley to a 4.5" to get to 8psi on 93 pump gas and got 725 to the rear wheels, and trying to play it safe until he gets some drop ins. He did that and tried the smaller 4.13" pulley first and it put him around 11.5psi and 750ish whp and he was about out of fuel, but all of these numbers were done before he installed the aux system on the low side as well.

I'm hoping with the ethanol content being lower it will help find a sweet spot or benefit more than relying on crap 91 pump gas here. I really can't stress how one of my main goals of this build is to NOT have meth injection as a required or dependent part of my tunes.

Good luck on yours, I am interested to see what kind of TQ you put out of yours, those PD blowers sure look good on both ends of the numbers.
I am with you on the alky injection. I keep thinking it might make sense from a safety perspective and for sure people like Laynlo are doing it to push things...but I guess I lean more toward seeing what I can do with 93/e85 and then ocassionally running race gas for the track where we can really advance timing. I expect my setup will be right in the 700whp range for the street and close to 800whp for the track. We shall see...

Much more than that and we should have done more than pistons right?

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote