Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack


Cold Air Inductions


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #1
JamesNoBrakes

 
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: AK
Posts: 1,043
Tire Rack winter setup question (spacer rings)

Recently got some 19x8.5 15mm offset rims from Tire Rack to make a square winter setup. They came with these rings about 5mm thick and literature that says something to the effect of: "Do not install these rims without these rings!" Went to install these and on my 1LE, with the rings in place, there is a gap between the wheel and the hub, the width of the ring. With the ring removed, there is no gap. I'm guessing the rings are not used on this application? Just want to make sure based on that warning that came with the rims. I can take pictures of the rings if needed.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
JeromeS13

 
Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 1,279
Are you putting them on backwards? The tapered side should sit against the hub and should mount flush with the inside of the wheels.

They're called hub centric rings.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:01 AM   #3
JamesNoBrakes

 
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: AK
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
Are you putting them on backwards? The tapered side should sit against the hub and should mount flush with the inside of the wheels.

They're called hub centric rings.
There is no taper on either side of these rings, they are the same on both sides, flat. The inner surface is chamfered on both sides, but it's only about 1-2mm wide.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:03 AM   #4
JamesNoBrakes

 
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: AK
Posts: 1,043
Found this on tire-rack's site:
Quote:
Step 4: Check the fit of the wheel onto the hub of the vehicle. Some wheel applications may require the use of a centering ring to create the proper fit onto the hub. The bolt circle of the wheel must match that of your vehicle and the wheel must make full contact to the mating surface of the hub. If the wheel does not match up to the bolt circle of the vehicle, or the wheel does not have full contact to the mounting surface, please contact your sales specialist or our customer service department at 888-981-3953.
Are these the "centering rings"? Because with them in the wheels, the wheels definitely did not sit flush against the hub.



The spacers:
Attached Images
 
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Rudy@Tirerack

 
Rudy@Tirerack's Avatar
 
Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: rudy@tirerack.com
Posts: 1,183
Hello OP,

Can you please email me your order # or your billing phone # to rudy@tirerack.com . I will investigate and get this figured out for you. If you need to use these now you can remove the rings and just torque the lugs down with the wheels in the air and NOT on the ground. I am out for the weekend but will get back to you on Monday. Keep in mind you may need to remove the wheels to reinstall the rings. The 1LE trim and the standard Camaro SS have the same hub diameter of 67 mm. The only thing I can think of is the wrong rings may of gotten sent. If you have a caliper to measure them the inner diameter of the ring should be 67mm. We would of installed them correctly when leaving the warehouse. Also make sure the hub is clean and free of corrosion as the rings will be tight to the hub.

We want to make sure you get the best experience possible so please work with me directly to solve this as I have the most experience with these cars.
__________________

When ordering online please reference "Rudy/Camaro5" as your previous contact. Please click on the link in the sticky thread at the top of wheel and tire forum so the forum gets credit for the sale.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
JeromeS13

 
Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 1,279
They're designed to "fill the gap" between the hub bore and the wheel's center bore. If they do not sit snuggly inside of the wheel, then they're the wrong side. They're usually marked with the diameters (in mm).
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

 
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: AK
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
They're designed to "fill the gap" between the hub bore and the wheel's center bore. If they do not sit snuggly inside of the wheel, then they're the wrong side. They're usually marked with the diameters (in mm).
Again, this doesn't make any sense. What is on the wrong side? These rings are completely symmetrical, they are exactly the same if they are mounted flipped. I'll remove a wheel and take a picture later today.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
Ryephile
Hot Dog
 
Ryephile's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,581
I think Jerome meant to say they might be the wrong size. There are many different hub-centric ring sizes for the entire world of automotive wheel fitments, it's possible Tire Rack made an oopsie and gave you the wrong ones.

As a sanity check, you should be able to take a single ring by itself and slide it onto the vehicle hub and have it fit over the hub bore precisely. Then take the ring and see if it fits precisely into the wheel inner bore. I'm betting the rings TR supplied won't fit on the vehicle hubs correctly, hence the fitment issue. Like Rudy@TireRack mentioned, get ahold of them and they'll sort it out for you.
__________________
2017 "M1SS1LE" in Hyper Blue w/PDR
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

 
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: AK
Posts: 1,043
Looks like it may have just been the wrong rings, relatively easy fix.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #10
Rudy@Tirerack

 
Rudy@Tirerack's Avatar
 
Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: rudy@tirerack.com
Posts: 1,183
Yes, The OP listed his vehicle incorrectly when ordering online so the rings for a standard 1LT non SS Camaro were sent. I am sending him the correct ones to Alaska at No Charge. This should be resolved.
__________________

When ordering online please reference "Rudy/Camaro5" as your previous contact. Please click on the link in the sticky thread at the top of wheel and tire forum so the forum gets credit for the sale.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #11
JeromeS13

 
Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Again, this doesn't make any sense. What is on the wrong side? These rings are completely symmetrical, they are exactly the same if they are mounted flipped. I'll remove a wheel and take a picture later today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I think Jerome meant to say they might be the wrong size. There are many different hub-centric ring sizes for the entire world of automotive wheel fitments, it's possible Tire Rack made an oopsie and gave you the wrong ones.

As a sanity check, you should be able to take a single ring by itself and slide it onto the vehicle hub and have it fit over the hub bore precisely. Then take the ring and see if it fits precisely into the wheel inner bore. I'm betting the rings TR supplied won't fit on the vehicle hubs correctly, hence the fitment issue. Like Rudy@TireRack mentioned, get ahold of them and they'll sort it out for you.
Correct. Typo. Ooopsie.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.