Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #29
Yendor

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
I couldn't buy oil for what they charged me at my last oil change. Told them I wanted to wait for the car and they got it in and changed it right away. The service writer said he'd get me a quote when they figured out if it was a 6 or 8 quart system as they had an oil change special going on, when I replied that it took 10 he was like. What the hell is this thing? They are a small dealership and did a great job. I don't have a big enough oil pan to deal with 10 quarts of oil. And for <$100 I didn't have to get my hands dirty. I'll be going back to them in the future.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #30
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
I couldn't buy oil for what they charged me at my last oil change.
Sure you can.
5 quart bottles of any top name brand synthetic 5w-30 Dexos oil is about $25 on amazon or Walmart. Delco oil filter is about $8.

Did they use synthetic or a blend in your car?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #31
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
... I don't have a big enough oil pan to deal with 10 quarts of oil. ...
Interesting point!

I change the oil in my motorcycles a couple of times a year, mostly when I'm in between new tires or other dealer maintenance. Otherwise I let the dealer do it.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #32
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
If I had the choice I would always do it myself, however, for the warranty there is no way around having proven that the service was actually performed and registered in a certified workshop / dealership's workshop.
says who? Ive got receipts and blackstone labs oil reports for every change the car has had since new. oil changes aren't rocket science I'd be shocked if that's really a requirement warranty wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
I hate doing oil changes myself. Got to go buy the oil, filter, lift the vehicle do the change, then I have to dispose of all the crap when finished. My time is worth more then a routine oil change. I get my techs to do it for me.

If you have trust issues with your dealership, time to find a new one to deal with.
I'm lucky enough to have a mechanic shop down the road that charges 12$ to rent a 4 post lift for oil changes. drive on, drain, fill and Im out......they even dispose of old filter and oil. Pair that with I buy my filters and oil in bulk when its on sale and every change is under $100 and takes a half hour if i really take my time. I also actually really trust the dealer (perfomance manager is a zl1 1le guy and prob on here) but still just would just rather do it myself.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #33
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Took my car to a reputable dealer for my oil changes 3 times. All three times my car came back to me with damage on it. 3 strikes, you're out! Don't care if they "made it right." Shouldn't have to make anything right. Do it yourself.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #34
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I'd also go a bit against the general flow here and say that if it's a trust issue, you should find a dealership that does things right and reward them with your business. Unless, of course you insist on doing everything yourself or you particularly enjoy messing with the car, which is quite a real possiblity

Not sure how the same doesn't apply to any other vendors, appliance repairs, restaurants, valets etc. I understand that many times such jobs are done by the least sharp tools in their shed, but IMO actually finding and supporting the guy that does it right at a reasonable price has more long term value than just knee-jerking it, allowing distrust to fester and eat up your life in the end. Just my 2 cents'.

Going back to topic, I had my two free oil changes at the dealership and they didn't mess anything up, returned the car in pristine state, filled 10 quarts, used the expensive Mobil1 0W40 ("from their 'Vette stock") when I asked for it and charged nothing.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #35
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Looks like it's at Summit and other places for $64/6 qts.... Here for $8/qt:

https://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/oe...p-oil-19370233
Act fast sale ends today You can get MST 5W40 for 4.99 a quart at Napa

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VAD966
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #36
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i got my 2 first ones for free and still go back so no issues here!
X 2- My first was at 1800 miles second at 7800 miles.

Third was at 14k miles- oil minder said 14% but it was dirty. Took it to oil change place used Mobil 1 and I brought my own filter. i am too old to do this sh*t myself.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #37
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
Act fast sale ends today You can get MST 5W40 for 4.99 a quart at Napa

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VAD966
Love when NAPA has that sale! I was going to pick some up but forgot I picked up some extra this summer when amazon had it on sale.....still have like 35 quarts on the shelf ready to go lol
Old 12-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #38
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
[QUOTE=FlashBang23;10372986]says who? Ive got receipts and blackstone labs oil reports for every change the car has had since new. oil changes aren't rocket science I'd be shocked if that's really a requirement warranty wise.

Says GM, because I am on a mission right now and stationed in the Middle-East They need the local GM certified dealership's shop to confirm and register the work done, in order to maintain the Warranty cover.

Had I been home, as usual, I would indeed just have to provide invoices of Dexos2 Spec. oil and PF64 filter.

BtW: The cost here for the whole oil change was just under $80 for both shop's labor + Oil &Filter.
I get the Motul 8100 X-Clean oil at garage cost, because I am good friends with the local importer of Motul

Most important point here and straight to the topic: I was allowed to stand by the Tech near the lift while he was working on the car. I would not have it any other way
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #39
camaroras

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Yea I have to disagree with most here. A lot of people have trust issues with dealers because of the horror stories, those stories are FAR from the norm and you never hear about the thousands of services that get done with no issues at all. I have very competent friends that are mechanics at dealerships, the notion that all dealership service departments are shit is just wrong. But if you are paranoid, just do it yourself. I've had at least 5 oil changes done with no issues (though I do supply the oil) and I will probably continue to have the dealership do it until I find a local performance shop that I like to do all the work on my car (I'm a driver not a mechanic and not afraid to admit it lol).

What dealership do you go to? I had a very poor experience at a local one and I am looking for a different dealer to go to. Unfortunately I live in an apartment so I cant do any of the service myself.
camaroras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #40
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashergrant View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Trust issues prevail. Definitely going to be changing it myself, especially after confirming with my dealership that changing the oil myself WILL NOT void the warranty!

Now, where to buy that elusive mobil 1 0w-40 dexos 2...

The only issue with this is you better keep all of your receipts because if you mess something up, or you can not prove the oil changes have been preformed and your LT1 pop's GM will not warranty anything and you'll be out on the curb with nothing to show for your money.

Go to you're local dealer and MEET the service manager and advisors. Let them know your concerns and they will remember you all while taking extra good care of you. If you have to call the GM hotline and complain it affects their bonus and they really don't want that.

Last edited by WCKD 1LE; 12-04-2018 at 06:46 AM.
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:40 AM   #41
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBang23 View Post
says who? Ive got receipts and blackstone labs oil reports for every change the car has had since new. oil changes aren't rocket science I'd be shocked if that's really a requirement warranty wise.

Oh you better believe they are, GM is hardcore when it comes to an engine or trans warranty. Records will be pulled from the dealership from the moment you signed the paperwork to the day the error occurred. PCM will be copied and sent off for review on everything from you're driving habits to any ecu modifications.
If you don't have the necessary paperwork proving you performed the oil change at the required intervals then they will void the warranty without a second look. ( GM doesn't play around with High Performance engines)

If a dealership screws something up, they are required to fix it with zero cost to you. If a GM part fails while under warranty, GM will reimburse the dealership to fix it also at no charge to you.

If you screw something up, you've gotta fix it and depending how big the screw up is I hope you have the tools to pull and replace an engine the same way you performed that diy oil change, because GM is just going to laugh you right out the door.

Not trying to scare anyone away from doing their own oil changes, Just keep you're records and be extra careful!
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #42
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Yesterday I had the oil changed by the selling dealer on my 2017 Camaro. It only had 559 miles on it, but the car was sitting in inventory for about 2 years and the oil readout was at 51%.

The car wasn't abused, I was treated like a human being and I didn't even look at the dipstick. I slept like a baby.

Tags
1le, change, dealer, oil