Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #85
RaceChip

Drives: Camaro 2.0 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
So the guy that did that 4.3s has an intercooler, cai and muffler delete but no tune according to what i read. There's simpply to much blacked out/redacted in those images for me to trust them given the same withheld information from others.

Yes. He said he has an Injen intake, muffler delete, and ZZP intercooler kit.
It was not me testing this, just some customer feedback.

Last edited by RaceChip; 03-11-2019 at 12:21 PM.
RaceChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #86
RaceChip

Just for your information, we'll test our product during the next couple of weeks in combinations with more other modifications of third parties.

We had two customers with issues that we think are the result of the combinations of different aftermarket mods (e.g. a "bad" CAI can mess up a lot of things). That's a small percentage of our customers, but since almost all Camaros of our customers are modified, we need some more knowledge about the cases (what works and what does not work).
Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #87
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
I installed my RaceChip GTS yesterday and holy crap, it really makes a noticeable difference. Pulled .96s off of my 0-60 time on the first attempt (didnt care for my launch and it was cold out with cold tires). My best 0-60 wasn't that great to start with, as I havent had time or space to make repeated runs.

Simple installation (takes half an hour), simple operation. Quick way to add performance for a very small investment.

I am very interested in seeing the results of testing with other performance modifications.

Next up: the XLR throttle response controller.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #88
zts1986
Account Suspended

I am noticing that maybe once out of every 5-10 hard accelerations the engine kind of "cuts" out very briefly. After some research on other car forums with people who have more experience with these RaceChip units, I think i've narrowed it down to possible spark plug issues.

I think this would be the same with any tune: increased boost could blow out a flame. I think I can help the situation by going one step colder and decrease the gap to 0.028" (manual says 0.030-0.035", no idea what they actually are currently).

RaceChip, what do you think?

Everybody else: anybody see this issue with other tunes?
Old 03-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #89
RaceChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by zts1986 View Post
I am noticing that maybe once out of every 5-10 hard accelerations the engine kind of "cuts" out very briefly. After some research on other car forums with people who have more experience with these RaceChip units, I think i've narrowed it down to possible spark plug issues.

I think this would be the same with any tune: increased boost could blow out a flame. I think I can help the situation by going one step colder and decrease the gap to 0.028" (manual says 0.030-0.035", no idea what they actually are currently).

RaceChip, what do you think?

Everybody else: anybody see this issue with other tunes?

Interesting. We've not heard of this in a Camaro yet.

Please send an email incl. your order number to support@racechip.us with more details:
- What octane are you using?
- What RaceChip fine tuning map are you using?
- At which part of the power band do you experience this "cut" out? (gear, rpm, or does it happen by any chance while downshifting?)
A more precise description of the "cut" outs (or even a video) could also be beneficial. With this information our engineers will be able to help you.

Having said that I personally think a gap of 0.026 to 0.028 makes sense in the Camaro. Still, our engineers should take a look at this. Until we know what these "cut" outs are, you should reduce the fine tuning map on your RaceChip.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #90
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceChip View Post
Interesting. We've not heard of this in a Camaro yet.

Please send an email incl. your order number to support@racechip.us with more details:
- What octane are you using?
- What RaceChip fine tuning map are you using?
- At which part of the power band do you experience this "cut" out? (gear, rpm, or does it happen by any chance while downshifting?)
A more precise description of the "cut" outs (or even a video) could also be beneficial. With this information our engineers will be able to help you.

Having said that I personally think a gap of 0.026 to 0.028 makes sense in the Camaro. Still, our engineers should take a look at this. Until we know what these "cut" outs are, you should reduce the fine tuning map on your RaceChip.
Email sent!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #91
zts1986
Account Suspended

Tech support responded promptly. It looks like my assumption is correct. Boost at map 7 (max setting) is too high for the stock spark plugs. Right now I'm on map 6 and all is well. I plan to change out the plugs this weekend and report back.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #92
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
Question for Wes @ RaceChips

I went back and forth with you a couple of times in another thread I created about Pedal Commander Throttle controllers. I thought I would continue here in case other might want to know the same questions I have.
I currently have a Vitesse controller in 2016, 2.0 Camaro. I am happy with the way it changes the linear feel of the throttle but it did absolutely nothing for throttle lag.

From the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by irobles3680
All it does is make the throttle open faster without needing to push the pedal down as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceChip
One thing I would like to add:
Often, there is a little built-in lag, which means that the throttle starts opening after a certain distance/time you pressed the gas pedal.
This can be removed electronically, but not by "pressing the gas pedal faster". That's the main advantage of such a device (or tune) compared to "pressing the gas pedal" faster. But I can not guarentee that all deviced or tunes remove this lag, I can just talk about the XLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man0steel
So your saying the race chip will eliminate the throttle lag?

Yes, the XLR will eliminate the throttle lag.

Wes, I know you can’t comment on how other controllers work (or don’t) but I am very curious to know how your controller eliminates the lag when it is hooked up (best I can tell) to the same locations as the other controllers. It is my understanding the lag is created by the “nannies” in the electronics that must be tuned out.

I really want this thing to work, have already been snake bit by Vitesse so I am a little weary. Sorry to lump you in with other throttle controller manufacturers, but it seems to me if your device will eliminate the lag one would think the others would as well. I just don’t want to end up with the same thing in a different package.

So just to make sure we are on the same page. When I refer to “lag” I am speaking of the time it takes for the engine to respond to pedal input and not the “amount” of input from the pedal. I am more scared to jump in front of someone during rush hour traffic in my Camaro than I am in my old Blazer because of the throttle lag.
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #93
RaceChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by man0steel View Post

I went back and forth with you a couple of times in another thread I created about Pedal Commander Throttle controllers. I thought I would continue here in case other might want to know the same questions I have.
I currently have a Vitesse controller in 2016, 2.0 Camaro. I am happy with the way it changes the linear feel of the throttle but it did absolutely nothing for throttle lag.

From the other thread:

Quote:
All it does is make the throttle open faster without needing to push the pedal down as much.

Quote:
Often, there is a little built-in lag, which means that the throttle starts opening after a certain distance/time you pressed the gas pedal.
This can be removed electronically, but not by "pressing the gas pedal faster". That's the main advantage of such a device (or tune) compared to "pressing the gas pedal" faster. But I can not guarentee that all deviced or tunes remove this lag, I can just talk about the XLR.

Quote:

Wes, I know you can’t comment on how other controllers work (or don’t) but I am very curious to know how your controller eliminates the lag when it is hooked up (best I can tell) to the same locations as the other controllers. It is my understanding the lag is created by the “nannies” in the electronics that must be tuned out.

I really want this thing to work, have already been snake bit by Vitesse so I am a little weary. Sorry to lump you in with other throttle controller manufacturers, but it seems to me if your device will eliminate the lag one would think the others would as well. I just don’t want to end up with the same thing in a different package.

So just to make sure we are on the same page. When I refer to “lag” I am speaking of the time it takes for the engine to respond to pedal input and not the “amount” of input from the pedal. I am more scared to jump in front of someone during rush hour traffic in my Camaro than I am in my old Blazer because of the throttle lag.
I am not sure whether people want to also discuss the XLR in this thread. Things might get mixed up (this thread already handles a lot of different topics). We can also dicuss this in following thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539498

Regarding your question:
Yes I understood which kind of throttle lag you are talking about. I can only confirm what I said and invite you to test the RaceChip product.

I never tested the brand you mentioned, I just met quite some people that were sceptical about pedal tuning, because they made some bad experiences...
What about following offer:
You get 100% of your money back (within 30 days) if you are not happy with the performance of our product. No shipping fee. No return shipping fee. No restocking fee.
Just test it and let everybody know your feedback.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #94
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:

From the other thread:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My XLR is at home waiting to be installed this weekend. I'll report back what I think of it.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #95
zts1986
Account Suspended

Have to say, the XLR is awesome.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:25 AM   #96
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
Noticeable difference in throttle lag?
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #97
zts1986
Account Suspended

Quote:
Noticeable difference in throttle lag?
Turbo lag still exists, but this certainly helps response time.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #98
zts1986
Account Suspended

With respect to the RaceChip GTS, I've solved most of my issues by going to NGK 6510s and gapping at 0.022." The issues were constant "blow-outs" with the plugs in every gear, every time I was near max boost.

Now I still, once in a while, get a little engine cut out between 4800 and 5000 rpm when NOT at full throttle. At full throttle, all is well. Still trying to diagnose, but it's at the point where it happens once a day, at most. No CEL.

The performance of the GTS? Adds a hell of a lot of fun for fairly low cost. I'm very pleased. Especially at midrange, this thing pulls like crazy.