Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #29
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I really don't see how the Z/28 getting DSSVs is remotely the same as getting a unique engine. Sure, the Corvette never got the DSSVs but if they wanted them, do you think GM would say no, those are for the Z/28?

The DSSVs sacrifice comfort for performance. I'm sure Corvette doesn't want that.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #30
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I really don't see how the Z/28 getting DSSVs is remotely the same as getting a unique engine. Sure, the Corvette never got the DSSVs but if they wanted them, do you think GM would say no, those are for the Z/28?

The DSSVs sacrifice comfort for performance. I'm sure Corvette doesn't want that.
In the argument that team Camaro only gets hand me downs, this shows it is not always the case. People want to say GM will not spend the R&D money on Camaro only parts and they only get big brothers leftovers. This was definitely true at one point, but there have been several interviews where it has been said this is no longer the case.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #31
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
In the argument that team Camaro only gets hand me downs, this shows it is not always the case. People want to say GM will not spend the R&D money on Camaro only parts and they only get big brothers leftovers. This was definitely true at one point, but there have been several interviews where it has been said this is no longer the case.
They can say that all they want. The proof would is in the products.

The only things the Z/28 had that wasn't from other cars is the tires and shocks.

If this Z/28 comes out with a new LTx n/a engine, then we can talk about it not getting only hand me downs.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #32
newb

So getting the 10 sp and the 3rd Gen MRC first are irrelevant I guess. Besides, this is a 18 model car most likely. Why can't the vette get some upgrades as well for 18?
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

Old 05-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #33
Bhobbs

Quote:
So getting the 10 sp and the 3rd Gen MRC first are irrelevant I guess. Besides, this is a 18 model car most likely. Why can't the vette get some upgrades as well for 18?
The Corvette was nearing the ending of the C6 when the ZL1 came out. Maybe it wasn't cost effective to upgrade the C6 to the gen 3 MRC. As for the A10, I thought I read it doesn't fit in the C7 but I can't find where I read it.

Either way, the Camaro was the 3rd in line to get the Alpha platform. It hasn't gotten a unique engine since the 1st gen. Yes, the L99 was a unique engine but it was a lesser performing LS3 and it was for GG tax reasons, not to build a high performance Camaro.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #34
newb

The A10 is similar in dimensions to the A8. The M7 is larger from what I understand. That's the reason the M7 doesn't fit the Camaro.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

Old 05-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #35
Bhobbs

Quote:
The A10 is similar in dimensions to the A8. The M7 is larger from what I understand. That's the reason the M7 doesn't fit the Camaro.
If the A10 was going in the C7, why wouldn't it be in the GS? The GS was revealed around the same time the ZL1 was. Does it really make sense to validate the GS with the A8 just for one year?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #36
newb

Possibly they have no plans of mating it to the LT1 for 1 year.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

Old 05-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #37
newb

I don't understand why it seems so inconceivable that there is a new V8 coming and will be the base stingray engine, also used in the Z28. seems entirely possible to me

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

Old 05-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #38
chain777

Drives: Slow
Looking at what they did for the last Z/28, I can't imagine they won't do something special with the new one. The Z06 formula really can't be compared to the Camaro since we already know the ZL1 is getting the LT4, and they're apparently also doing a Z/28, so no combining two cars into one model. I think the Z/28 will get a special engine that will likely be NA, and probably also used in a future Corvette.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #39
Bhobbs

Quote:
I don't understand why it seems so inconceivable that there is a new V8 coming and will be the base stingray engine, also used in the Z28. seems entirely possible to me
You think GM will build a base Stingray with 500+ hp?
Old 05-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #40
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
Looking at what they did for the last Z/28, I can't imagine they won't do something special with the new one. The Z06 formula really can't be compared to the Camaro since we already know the ZL1 is getting the LT4, and they're apparently also doing a Z/28, so no combining two cars into one model. I think the Z/28 will get a special engine that will likely be NA, and probably also used in a future Corvette.
I definitely see them putting a special engine into the Z28. They obviously will not put the 455hp LT1 in it. Doubtful the LT4 is going in it. It has to be a hopped up LT1 or a totally new engine. I believe Al O said keeping with the tradition of Z28 heritage, not sure his exact words.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #41
newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
You think GM will build a base Stingray with 500+ hp?

If it goes MR and costs $80k, why not??

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

Old 05-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #42
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
In the past it has always made sense to let the Corvette develop the engines. They have the budget and freedom to develop what they need and the Camaro can usually come along and help spread costs out. 5th gen sales were healthy enough that I could see them letting the Camaro team take the lead on something as costly as an engine ( they will always work together because it doesn't make sense not to). The GS would have been a perfect opportunity to debut a new engine and they didn't. That is a pretty strong roadblock to the Z/28 getting a new engine, but I don't think it is a nail in the coffin.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote