Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Ribak433

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
NPP exhaust question....

I was doing some research on aftermarket exhaust systems/mufflers available for the 2SS. I keep running into an issue with the NPP. Apparently, for some reason, you can get aftermarket mufflers for non-NPP cars only. What would be the reason behind this? And if this is the case, should I order my car without the NPP and use aftermarket exhaust? Or are the benefits equivalent to the NPP? IMO, the less "moving" parts, the less chance for future problems! Also, how is the NPP controlled? Vacuum, electrically, etc.....?
Ribak433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Controlled electrically. If you want aftermarket exhaust and sound, don't order with the $800 NPP option. I personally love it and the flexibility. If I want it quiet, no problem. Loud, no problem.

My 15 SS had an axle back. It was loud and sounded good except at 73-77MPH on the interstate. Too much drone.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Ribak433

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Okay, don't mean to sound like a moron..... But I've heard that terminology thrown around. What exactly is everyone referring to as "drone"?
Ribak433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
jdasnt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribak433 View Post
Okay, don't mean to sound like a moron..... But I've heard that terminology thrown around. What exactly is everyone referring to as "drone"?
A loud vibration and humming sound that rattles your car. Very annoying. Mine used to drown out conversations and also make you have to crank up the radio or go faster or slower than the speeds that caused it. So on the interstate with a limit of 70, I had to do 70 or 80 and nothing in between. The NPP exhaust was tuned for this car to specifically make sure that there wasn't drone at any speed. The axle back brand I used to have on my 15? GM Performance. Figured there would be no drone, and I was wrong.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
A loud vibration and humming sound that rattles your car.
That sounds like something else lol...

Drone is just a resonant frequency that is some cars at certain rpms can make for a constant, droning sound. Hence the term "drone"...some actually are okay with it, others hate it.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
jdasnt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
That sounds like something else lol...

Drone is just a resonant frequency that is some cars at certain rpms can make for a constant, droning sound. Hence the term "drone"...some actually are okay with it, others hate it.
Should have said rattles your brain...
Old 02-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
Jeremeymt

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribak433 View Post
I was doing some research on aftermarket exhaust systems/mufflers available for the 2SS. I keep running into an issue with the NPP. Apparently, for some reason, you can get aftermarket mufflers for non-NPP cars only. What would be the reason behind this? And if this is the case, should I order my car without the NPP and use aftermarket exhaust? Or are the benefits equivalent to the NPP? IMO, the less "moving" parts, the less chance for future problems! Also, how is the NPP controlled? Vacuum, electrically, etc.....?
Get NPP and then pull the fuse. That way the valves will stay open all the time. I have the v6 and the NPP sounds awesome with the fuse pulled. Unless you want to make it quiet sometimes then don't pull the fuse.
Jeremeymt is offline   Reply With Quote