BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #57
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I thought I remember reading they needed AFM on the Z06, and that was one of the issues. Also, like you said, I'm sure they don't need as much power for the Z/28 as they wanted for the Z06.
Hmm, it seems that I forgot about fuel economy. Whoops.

Anyway, yeah AFM (or at least a FE requirement of such-and-such MPG) could severely limit what they were able to do with the engine.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #58
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I can't see GM missing the opportunity to have a 50th Z/28.
Well I completely missed the release date on the ZL1 so nothing is out of the realm of possibility.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #59
chetly

Drives: 2004 Z06
Haven't read through the whole thing but this is what I'd like to see.

*Carbon wheels19x11 F/R same backspace so can rotate.
*Carbon Brakes
* more aggressive aero (think gt350/gt350r, headlights are two inches lower in body than standard 5.0)
*drop mag ride shocks
*install true coilover
*factory caster/camber plates
*rear seat delete
*adjustable sway bars F/R
*overall more adjustable suspension
*4-6 point roll bar
*true race bucket seats (not some 50+ lbs recaro, more like Porsche GT3)
Thinner glass through out car (like c5z windshield)
*500hp/500tq n.a. motor

Overall, a more hardcore lightweight version of the 1LE. Enough that it's faster than the 1LE/ZL1 around any track.
chetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #60
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Wow, the rumors are sure flying on this car. I read it went 11.84@ 117 mph on it's very first pass down the 1/4 mi.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #61
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Wouldn't be surprised if it got the twin turbo V6 from the ATS-V. That car has a better weight distribution than the SS.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #62
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Wow, the rumors are sure flying on this car. I read it went 11.84@ 117 mph on it's very first pass down the 1/4 mi.
Where did you hear that from?
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #63
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Where did you hear that from?
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #64
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Much more speculation than rumours.

And most of the speculation can still stand on its own whether or not any particular rumour is true. For example, the LS7 successor that was rumoured to go into the C7 Z06. Whether it existed or not, whether it was canned for the reasons we think or not makes no difference on how appropriate an engine like that would be for a Z/28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if it got the twin turbo V6 from the ATS-V. That car has a better weight distribution than the SS.
I am fairly certain that the LF4 from the ATS-V weighs about 20 lbs more than the LT1, so swapping one for the other isn't going to help things. The SS weighs ~60 lbs more up front than the ATS-V but is something like 160 lbs lighter in the back.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #65
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Good god I hope not. If they think the Gen5 was a bad seller, trying selling a turbo6 in the Z/28 to a purist community that has very specific expectations on what the Z/28 embodies, specifically from a power plant perspective. It will make the Gen5 Z/28 sales look like they were giving them away for free.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #66
Memphis

Drives: Bucket
Quote:
That's just Monty on Yellowbullet stirring the pot and some people running with it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetly View Post
Haven't read through the whole thing but this is what I'd like to see.

*Carbon wheels19x11 F/R same backspace so can rotate.
*Carbon Brakes
* more aggressive aero (think gt350/gt350r, headlights are two inches lower in body than standard 5.0)
*drop mag ride shocks
*install true coilover
*factory caster/camber plates
*rear seat delete
*adjustable sway bars F/R
*overall more adjustable suspension
*4-6 point roll bar
*true race bucket seats (not some 50+ lbs recaro, more like Porsche GT3)
Thinner glass through out car (like c5z windshield)
*500hp/500tq n.a. motor

Overall, a more hardcore lightweight version of the 1LE. Enough that it's faster than the 1LE/ZL1 around any track.

Skip the carbon wheels and go to an 18" wheel, they can get it to a similar weight and have a wheel people will actually track the car with.
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #67
Memphis43

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Good god I hope not. If they think the Gen5 was a bad seller, trying selling a turbo6 in the Z/28 to a purist community that has very specific expectations on what the Z/28 embodies, specifically from a power plant perspective. It will make the Gen5 Z/28 sales look like they were giving them away for free.

A purist community doesn't sell cars. Technically, the last z28 wasn't purist either.

However being innovative and bringing things to the table has allowed the 350 to sell and not sit on the lots collecting dust.
Memphis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #68
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
That's just Monty on Yellowbullet stirring the pot and some people running with it .
I know. There was another "insider" thread where someone claimed they heard about the motor. All speculation at this point, but it sure is fun.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #69
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis43 View Post
A purist community doesn't sell cars. Technically, the last z28 wasn't purist either.

However being innovative and bringing things to the table has allowed the 350 to sell and not sit on the lots collecting dust.
The Z/28 is a halo car, not intended for high sales volume. It is intended to be a marketing product to promote the brand and to get articles written about it that get people interested in the manufacturer and their products. To that end, the Gen5 Z/28 was a roaring success. I own a small marketing company and have been in marketing for over 25 years. The notoriety brought to the Camaro line due to the Z/28 was a home run by just about every metric used to measure such things in my business (Q-rating, etc.).

You are right that the Z28 wasn't a purist car, but the Z/28 was. It had manual only, no A/C option, and very basic at its onset in the Gen1 Camaro. It took on creature comforts as it morphed into just another car midway through Gen2 but the Gen1 Z/28 was intended for the track and that is what the Gen5 brought the model back to and one of the reasons the marketing around it was so successful. IF there was no Gen1 Z/28 then the Gen5 Z/28 would have been of no consequence.

One of the things that is RULE #1 in marketing is to not alienate the core group of buyers that have supported the brand for so many years. Companies that have done this (Coca Cola, etc) have paid the price and have had to spend years recovering their brand loyalty and identity. There are certain expectations that a core buyer group expects and that is where you START when improving the product from Gen to Gen.

If GM decides to go in another direction and include a turbo6 in a track focused car, I would be willing to bet just about anything I own that it will be called something other than a Z/28.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote